dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I know that logically it must be possible to wire up a battery to a point motor but, unless the battery is left in situ and hooked up to some kind of permanent charging arrangement, wouldn't every running session need to be preceded by a process of ensuring every point/signal motor has adequate battery power and. if not, installing fully charged batteries? This sounds like much more of a faff than simply turing on the power to the layout.
Cheers
Depends how your layout is run. On my layout I use Air for Points. It is quite possible to have points Operated from 2 Locations with a Shuttle Valve, this means you can have either a Local Panel or the Points can be operated from a Central one. The best of both worlds.

Of course you could install Mechanical Signal Boxes for Point Control, but these would cetainly need to be more locally based if you have more than one Station. This is how I have set up my Air based system with Local Pannels at each of my 8 Stations.

Or you could have DCC Operated Points and Signals on a Bus with a lower powered DCC System and run via a Computer, effectively like a Modern Power Signal Box.

Plenty of options without needing Battery Power for the Points and Signals.
JonD

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the responses.

Regrettably my health is deteriorating and the "digit" option is becoming less viable. I've also seen JonD's air power system in operation and mighty impressive it is, too.

Rik - sounds a good solution and one I could potentially adopt; I'll certainly take a look at your blog.

Seems to me that if you started out using track power you're ideally placed to get the best of both worlds - flexibility of battery running when track and weather conditions aren't ideal, track power when they are.

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
PS: Why does my profile show US flag instead of UK flag?? :wondering:

The flag has something to do with your computer.... depends on your IP address, server, or where you are logging in from, one of those.

Mobi

Registered
21 Jul 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I am wondering when G scale trains can pickup electricity wirelessly :angel: - all the good bits of track power without any drawbacks of same :blush:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Proximity battery charging is not quite the same as locos drawing 1A or more of current while travelling, which I think is what mobi is dreaming of... :)

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Be interested to learn of some of these systems, perhaps a link or two would help pretty please.
JonD

Hi Jon

Here are a few, I own a couple of Clark boards TK22 and TK24 and I also have a Beier Electronics board, all are excellent :

Clark TK22 or TK 24 or TK 60
http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/acc_clark.htm

Beier electronics
https://www.beier-electronic.de/modellbau/produkte/usm-hl-2/usm-hl-2.php

Elmod
https://www.rctank.de/ELECTRONIC-BOARDS

IBU 2 or 3
https://www.rctank.de/IBU-Electronics_1

This is a Clark TK24 in a Tiger 1

Reactions: 1 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent model. Bit disappointed it didn't fire real shells... :)

TheMartin

Registered
27 Jun 2014
Nottinghamshire
www.soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Best answers
I know this is a hoary, ongoing debate - but I've been reflecting on why I converted from track to battery power and put together this little video. I think it's all down to what you want to get out of your railway - I love running trains, solving shunting puzzles and running narrow gauge trains at realistic speeds - others may have different objectives and gain just as much enjoyment.

Rik

We took the "RC Challenge" recently when our DCC Command Centre needed to be fixed. We had to revert to RC for a few weeks. For us that meant two Playmobil Diesels and a quickly converted Thomas and Percy. We run trains every weekend 11-5 and had always assumed Battery RC would not be for us because we'd be forever changing and charging batteries. However batteries seem to last us much longer than we feared and the benefits of smooth running and no more track cleaning are making us think twice. Now three weeks on and we're considering converting at least half of our stock... emails sent to RCTrains!

Reactions: 2 users

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I just sold my track cleaning loco to fund conversion of my first loco to battery. Can't wait to get that done and start running trains again. I've enjoyed my track power, but it just doesn't seem to work here in NW Florida.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
We took the "RC Challenge" recently when our DCC Command Centre needed to be fixed. We had to revert to RC for a few weeks. For us that meant two Playmobil Diesels and a quickly converted Thomas and Percy. We run trains every weekend 11-5 and had always assumed Battery RC would not be for us because we'd be forever changing and charging batteries. However batteries seem to last us much longer than we feared and the benefits of smooth running and no more track cleaning are making us think twice. Now three weeks on and we're considering converting at least half of our stock... emails sent to RCTrains!
I recently had a Timetable session on my line with a couple of visitors from Yorkshire. Weather had been bad and indeed raining when they arrived. DCC does not work well in those corcumstances, ok for just running but totally unreliable fpr Stop Starting and Shunting, all of which is done in the Timetable. Plus of course steady controlled running. So I had charged up my 3 Battery items of power. 2 Railcars and my Wizzy Cranks. Each has a Peter Spoerer 8 Battery NiMh Battery pack (not sure of Ma) and all ran for the full session being turned off when we had lunch. The session normally lasts 3-4 hours with all the Powerd items in pretty continuous use. So I would imagine double up on your Battery Running items and you should get through the day fine, half running in the morning with a swopover around 1400. You can always put the run ones back on charge as a back up.
I just sold my track cleaning loco to fund conversion of my first loco to battery. Can't wait to get that done and start running trains again. I've enjoyed my track power, but it just doesn't seem to work here in NW Florida.
I would imagine that the Sandy Soil, SeaAir? and Humidity is the problem for you Martino. Battery will be your salvation, though if you have a lot of motive power perhaps it might be best to recognise that less is more and restrict conversion to perhaps 5-6 favourites max if that is feasible. What system are you going for, some great ones readily available in US? Air Wire, Tam Valley (the new Dead Rail looks very interesting), S-Cab plus of course the varying options from Deltang in UK and Auz and possibly even ones that I have not listed.
JonD

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I recently had a Timetable session on my line with a couple of visitors from Yorkshire. Weather had been bad and indeed raining when they arrived. DCC does not work well in those corcumstances, ok for just running but totally unreliable fpr Stop Starting and Shunting, all of which is done in the Timetable. Plus of course steady controlled running. So I had charged up my 3 Battery items of power. 2 Railcars and my Wizzy Cranks. Each has a Peter Spoerer 8 Battery NiMh Battery pack (not sure of Ma) and all ran for the full session being turned off when we had lunch. The session normally lasts 3-4 hours with all the Powerd items in pretty continuous use. So I would imagine double up on your Battery Running items and you should get through the day fine, half running in the morning with a swopover around 1400. You can always put the run ones back on charge as a back up.

I would imagine that the Sandy Soil, SeaAir? and Humidity is the problem for you Martino. Battery will be your salvation, though if you have a lot of motive power perhaps it might be best to recognise that less is more and restrict conversion to perhaps 5-6 favourites max if that is feasible. What system are you going for, some great ones readily available in US? Air Wire, Tam Valley (the new Dead Rail looks very interesting), S-Cab plus of course the varying options from Deltang in UK and Auz and possibly even ones that I have not listed.
JonD

Yes, sandy soil, irrigation system - a combination that means track cleaning before every run. Sand in the point motors etc. More critically, we're the lightning capital of the world, so thunderstorms, even small non rainy ones, are regular and I've lost more electronics than I care to add up. The rails act as an aerial for any static discharge and no matter how often you disconnect everything, something gets fried!

I only have four locos I use regularly and two which need serious attention anyway. So, my first will be an AirWire conversion as it appears to be able to work with the existing Zimo control and sound boards. If that's a success I'll gradually convert the other three. To be honest, I can't wait!

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
I am getting to the point where I need to make up my mind which way to go, only 3 locos so far (Humm!!) one newqida 2-6-2 already RC, piko Kamel, plenty of room to fit Batteries and the newly acquired Harzbul 2-10-2, not sure how that would work space and amp wise.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Pete, if you haven't done so already, have a look at a couple of my recent threads about building locos that will run on either track OR battery, with full DCC control in both cases.....

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/building-the-multi-power-loco.309298/

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/multi-power-loco-mark-ii-this-time-its-steam.309393/

The 4S2P battery pack that I used in the 2095 should be good for at least a few hours running time in either the Kamel or the Harzbulle.

Jon.
Thanks Jon, will have look at them.

TheMartin

Registered
27 Jun 2014
Nottinghamshire
www.soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Best answers

Location and environment is key. We have a lot of overhanging trees and lots of tree sap. We really need to clean every day in the summer. In the winter track power is just fine.

Like you selling one or two of our track power locos plus the DCC system would see the majority of our locos converted. It's tempting!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
May I suggest that you will still need to remove big detritus, and that sap will attract dirt, making a 'grinding paste' around wheels and axles..

You will still need to do some cleaning I reckon, and not neglect regular inspection / cleaning / lubrication of the loco's//

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I shall certainly be going around with a leaf blower to remove the loose stuff, and will also attach a wagon that has the LGB sprung pads underneath. I think that will remove grit etc. that rest on the rails. Like any railway track needs maintenance and inspection

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
For me when I make the big Battery change my Wagon with Cleaning Pads will be pretty well all I need. No Trees anymore, just dust and any odd junk moved about by Birds to worry about.
JonD