Battery Track Power “Track Power”

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Did have an interesting Conversation (some 6 or so Years ago) with a guy that ran a Coffee Van at Waterloo Station. All his Electricity coming from Solar Pannels on top of his Van

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Waterloo? They've got 750 v on the rail, surely they could have given him some free samples :devil::devil::devil:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Still not clear how the "outer" terminal touches.

what is the inside dimension of the lower part?

Greg

Greg, if you look at the impression in the bottom of the lower part of the housing (post #27) you will see a central spring terminal, and a flat strip terminal. - The one at the edge.
The early version of the 6V lantern battery had a spring terminal in the centre, and a bent over strip for the outer terminal. - Similar to those on the old 4.5V lantern battery:

1573822244983.png

Image from Wikipedia..

I have not found an image of the older style 6V battery... Yet!

PhilP.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, if you look at the impression in the bottom of the lower part of the housing (post #27) you will see a central spring terminal, and a flat strip terminal. - The one at the edge.
The early version of the 6V lantern battery had a spring terminal in the centre, and a bent over strip for the outer terminal. - Similar to those on the old 4.5V lantern battery:

View attachment 258866

Image from Wikipedia..

PhilP.
Hm do we need a Thread ‘How did we ever get onto the subject of Batteries’? :devil:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Though we might need to check with Paul (Admin) that we have the capacity ?
If it becomes a popular thread, it has the potential to overload the server! ;) :giggle:

38thfoot

Grand dreams; limited talent
19 Nov 2013
Hazel Grove, S Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Saw something someone had produced using burglar alarm batteries hooked up to a solar top up panel on the shed roof that wasn’t beyond the realms of affordability and technical simplicity.

Exador

Registered
7 Nov 2019
Southern California
Best answers
Country flag
How about kitbashing some of those solar garden lights? Most are batteries, a charging board, a solar panel and led(s).

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 258866

Image from Wikipedia..

PhilP.

The bottom part of the housing does not have the terminals.

The top part has the terminals

6v lantern batteries have always had the spring terminals as in the left side of the above picture.

So, my question still stands how to re-arrange the terminal strips to align with the 6v battery terminals.

Greg

kevinhammond

Registered
9 Apr 2016
Scotland
Best answers
I've just picked up a LiOn battery pack from Lidl (12V DC, 5A, 12Ah). It's sold as an emergency portable starter for a car.
My plan is to dual purpose it, so that it can also operate my point motors when it's not in car use :)
You could also attach a standard controller to the DC outputs I guess, but it might not have enough voltage
to be useful outdoors (seems to be about 13V)?

Last edited:

Ken Tonge

Registered
24 Jun 2013
Best answers
Country flag
I've just picked up a LiOn battery pack from Lidl (12V DC, 5A, 12Ah). It's sold as an emergency portable starter for a car.
My plan is to dual purpose it, so that it can also operate my point motors when it's not in car use :)
You could also attach a standard controller to the DC outputs I guess, but it might not have enough voltage
to be useful outdoors (seems to be about 13V)?
I have a couple of electric hand-warmers which no longer work because the USB sockets have worn out and don't connect any more for recharging them. They each contain two batteries of some sort. Could they be cannibalised to provide a power source for anything or should I just throw them into a recycle bin? I'm guessing they must have a substancial power output to heat up so quickly and they have a power duration of about half an hour full on.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have a couple of electric hand-warmers which no longer work because the USB sockets have worn out and don't connect any more for recharging them. They each contain two batteries of some sort. Could they be cannibalised to provide a power source for anything or should I just throw them into a recycle bin? I'm guessing they must have a substancial power output to heat up so quickly and they have a power duration of about half an hour full on.

They are probably 'Lithium' of some sort, and theoretically you can hack the cases about..
BUT
Be very careful!

Keep wires isolated. Where ever possible 'waggle' things to get cases apart. - Cutting into, or puncturing a battery is a risk you do not want to take!

Have a metal bucket, or tray, which you can put the whole lot onto quickly, and a clear route to outside. - If things start swelling, fizzing, or getting warm, and you are not able to stop this immediately. Take the whole lot outside and leave it.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES TRY TO USE WATER, OR PLACE IN WATER!

Other than that, go ahead, at your own risk.

Reactions: 1 user