Battery conversion - utilising built in DCC sound light boards

Neil Holiday

Registered
20 Jul 2018
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
When converting a loco to battery power is it possible to utilising existing built in DCC sound \ light functions?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
When converting a loco to battery power is it possible to utilising existing built in DCC sound \ light functions?

Yes,
You will get the same functionality as running the DCC loco on analogue power..

You *may* be able to use any trigger inputs on the decoder to trigger sounds like the whistle, or bell. - This will depend on you being able to program the decoder to respond to these inputs. So you would need to alter these, or get someone to do it for you.

You would also find that you needed to turn the controller up a fair way before anything happened. - DCC electronics needs about 5-6 volts before it comes to life. If you were to turn your controller to 'zero', the sound and lights would go off as well as the loco stopping.
This is why most people strip the DCC decoder out. - It can be sold-on, to help fund the conversion.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, thus far I have managed to get to grips with Sound OK, see my threads re Fosworks and Aristo in the Battery Forum. I am assuming that if the Chip is fully wired up in a loco without change other than to power it via a Battery no problems should exist with Lights. However as yet I have only got round to using a Test Rig without Lights.

Am about to update my first Loco but at the moment am grappling with the issues of remapping the sounds that I want and with the Setup that I will be using will probably not have the ability to turn lights on/off, not that this bothers me in the slightest.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, use a DCC battery solution such as the REVO DCC or Tam Valley/Stanton combination and you will have control of DCC functions, all of the them when using the REVO DCC although getting to the higher numbers ones is somewhat clunky.

Steve Foster

Registered
13 Feb 2018
Blackburn
Best answers
Country flag
Just to clarify that our OMNI r/c system for DCC automatically turns on the lights for the direction of travel but does not allow manual override. Functions F1 to F12 are available on the handset. Higher functions than this would have to be re-mapped to one of these or set to operate at intervals. We offer a decoder reprogramming service, but it is rarely required, as the functions of interest on most sound projects are in the F1-F12 range. Using the existing DCC on the loco does make for an easy install, simply add battery, divert track pick-ups to our OMNI Rx4 receiver and away you go.

Best regards
Steve Foster

www.fosworks.co.uk

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Just to clarify that our OMNI r/c system for DCC automatically turns on the lights for the direction of travel but does not allow manual override. Functions F1 to F12 are available on the handset. Higher functions than this would have to be re-mapped to one of these or set to operate at intervals. We offer a decoder reprogramming service, but it is rarely required, as the functions of interest on most sound projects are in the F1-F12 range. Using the existing DCC on the loco does make for an easy install, simply add battery, divert track pick-ups to our OMNI Rx4 receiver and away you go.

Best regards
Steve Foster

www.fosworks.co.uk

Steve, does your system transmit the DCC command signal over the wireless connection (as in the Tam Valley DRS) or use a proprietary protocol for the radio and then generate the DCC command signal within the receiver (the way that the new Revo system does it)?

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Best regards
Steve Foster

www.fosworks.co.uk
Steve I replied to Greg in another post suggesting that there was only 6 Functions. Have you upgraded your handset already?

Steve Foster

Registered
13 Feb 2018
Blackburn
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Guys,

the OMNI system uses a standard 2.4GHz radio protocol and generates the DCC commands in the receiver. We now offer both 6 and 12 function handsets after customer feedback on the initial shipments.

Best regards
Steve Foster

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Steve, I only saw the 6 function unit I believe... and it seems to have 6 buttons on top... did you put 12 buttons, or is there a "shift" button?

There aren't any larger or top view pictures (that I found) in your site.

Thanks,

Greg

Steve Foster

Registered
13 Feb 2018
Blackburn
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg,

there are actually only three buttons on top and we add one shift button for 6 function and 2 shift buttons for 12 function. The shift buttons are tactiles and it's easy to feel that you have them pressed. We did consider more buttons, but everyone seemed to like the feel of this in the hand and that it can be operated without looking at it, as the buttons are well spaced apart.

Regards
Steve

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the speedy reply. I've been involved in consumer devices for some time, and it's my opinion likewise that tactile feel and the ability to operate without being forced to look are paramount benefits for this hobby where you want to be focused on the loco/train.

I would guess that people might indeed remap some of the sound functions to group them differently than "stock"... being in the US, there's very little standardization of function mapping other than bell, horn/whistle, and F8 for mute is pretty common... everything else is all over the map.

Regards, Greg