Gardenbahner

Registered
10 Jul 2013
P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
OK, now I have my track laid, and it appears to be accepted by my engines. As I have included parts that are floating on the brickwork, is there any ideas on how to ballast it all without compromising the flexibility of the track and without it all immediately disappearing? Would soaking it in diluted PVA work, or am I worrying too much?

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
OK, now I have my track laid, and it appears to be accepted by my engines. As I have included parts that are floating on the brickwork, is there any ideas on how to ballast it all without compromising the flexibility of the track and without it all immediately disappearing? Would soaking it in diluted PVA work, or am I worrying too much?
50/50 Water External PVA and a little washing up liquid will hold it all in fine, Pidgeons tend to nick the stuff for their Crop and of course any livestock will dislodge it when loose also rain. But do the glue at the beginning of a warm day otherwise it is likely to not dry properly and also give a good saoking with a small spray with another drop or two of Washing Up Liquid to help the glue get in place prior to applying the glue. I use a Pint or thereabouts old Glue Container to apply the glue. Keep well clear of moving things by careful application in these area’s, also some Oil will stop humming up moving parts.

Will all be pretty solid when dry but do not worry about that as Floating Trackmin our Scale is an unnecessary pain. To do any changes a few gentle taps with a hammer will loosen things up nicely.

JimmyB

JimmyB

Learning; but slowly!
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
My ballast is loose, on the bare earth a tench was dug, lined with weed suppressant, sharp sand, ballast, track, then topped up the ballast. I did start by screwing the track (loosely) to post driven in to provide a datum height, but I am now clamping my track and allowing it to float on the ballast. Current work has meant topping up the ballast. Soon I hope to start ballasting the track laid on blocks.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Thanks for the tips, gents. I'll have a little experiment to see whathe happens