Bachmann wheels on LGB wagons...?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Further to the original question, I notice that Bachmann make two sizes, the smaller one (24.5mm) being for 4-axle bogie stock and the larger (31mm) for the two-axle stock. But the odd thing is that LGB, despite using the smaller wheel diameter on their own bogie stock, do not seem to have an equivalent small wheel set available as an accessory? The only sub-31mm wheels I can find in LGB listings are the tiny (20mm) ones for the Field railway stock. Am I missing something, or does LGB not make metal wheels to fit their 4-axle cars?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
Further to the original question, I notice that Bachmann make two sizes, the smaller one (24.5mm) being for 4-axle bogie stock and the larger (31mm) for the two-axle stock.

Hi - Bachmann bogie stock has the larger wheels - as does Aristocraft (but, as its the exception that proves the rule don't quote me!). I don't know what takes the 25mm wheels - apart from my scratchbuilds - perhaps somebody could enlighten me?

Mick

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
casey jones snr said:
kimbrit said:
minimans said:
Does everybody except me run such perfect track that you can actually see a wobble? my stock wobbles all the time and it's NOT the wheels!!!!!!!!

Bang on with that one Paul!!:clap:

We did have one section about 15 yards long that was pretty near perfect. However it subsided and as now joined the rest of the CFR as what might be described as interesting.

My track is a little like riding the Rockies:happy: so, as Paul says, my stock rocks and rolls all the time. Bachmann wheels work well here:clap:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
Zerogee said:
Further to the original question, I notice that Bachmann make two sizes, the smaller one (24.5mm) being for 4-axle bogie stock and the larger (31mm) for the two-axle stock.

Hi - Bachmann bogie stock has the larger wheels - as does Aristocraft (but, as its the exception that proves the rule don't quote me!). I don't know what takes the 25mm wheels - apart from my scratchbuilds - perhaps somebody could enlighten me?

Mick

OK, please ignore my original question - just me getting confused again - I could have sworn that some of my 4-axle bogie stock (LGB and a couple of bits of Naughty N*wqida) had slightly smaller wheels, but having put a measure on them this morning I see that they haven't, they are all the standard size (I blame either an optical illusion, or just that my brain is going.....).

Which, of course, still poses the question that Mick asked above: what DOES use the Bachmann 24.5 mm wheelsets?

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
other than the click clack, added weight-which really does help some cars that are too light-, and center of gravity issues

what are the advantage of metal wheels over LGB plastic? ive never felt compelled to retro all my cars (too pricey) -but would appreciate comments

i run metal wheels only on very light cars-like LGB 4 whell flats or gondolas,
or cars that i want to add lighting to-

i used the bachman 20mm metals to replace all wheels on my bachman mine cars-as they were top heavy and rolled poorly

LGB metal FRR wheels on my FRR passenger stock and

gary Raymond wheels on other FRR stock as well as Chloe and Olomano trailing trucks-

several lower profile Gary raymond sets on some of my LGB passenger stock (US) -only for electrical purposes tho

metal wheels seem to have less friction-but dont they add considerable weight on a grade 

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
stevedenver said:
what are the advantage of metal wheels over LGB plastic? ive never felt compelled to retro all my cars (too pricey) -but would appreciate comments

Steve the main reason is the plastic wheels leave a layer of plastic as they wear and so degrade the electrical pickup, over the years I have noticed it does make a big difference to how often I have to clean the track, although now I use the track cleaning Loco before every session I wonder if it is worth the expense anymore???????

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i have heard this regarding cheaper makes of plastic wheel sets

but thought it didnt apply to the LGB plastic as it is very hard and very very tough

and i have heard that it may be preferable to have wheels take the wear as opposed to track and points etc

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
stevedenver said:

but thought it didnt apply to the LGB plastic as it is very hard and very very tough

and i have heard that it may be preferable to have wheels take the wear as opposed to track and points etc

I would have thought you would have to run a heck of a lot of trains before you'd wear out the track and points!!!!!!!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
stevedenver said:

I would have thought you would have to run a heck of a lot of trains before you'd wear out the track and points!!!!!!!
Even Mike hasn't had track renewals as yet.... :D

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Steve the only time i've heard of anyone wearing out track is the Mc Donalds in Buena Park CA the train's in the main cabinet run for 18 hours a day 7 days a week and after 5 YEARS they had to replace the R1 curves because they wore out! you used to be able to see the brass dust under the track at all the curves..................................

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have to confess that I found it hard to believe that plastic wheels (even LGB ones) would leave gunk on the track, but having replaced everything with metal wheels the difference is amazing. I have to do MUCH less cleaning. In fact these days it's a quick run with an open wagon with LGB cleaning shoes underneath (with bits of Scotch pan cleaner underneath) and that's it.

I was staggered - but 'tis a fact.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
Zerogee said:

Mick

I think that you will find that the Bachman 4 Wheel High Side Dump Cars take the smaller wheels. Probably also the small 4 wheel Tippers. Sorry can't quote Cat No's, my bachman G Scale cat has gone walkies somewhere in this chaos that I call a home.
JonD

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Martino said:
I have to confess that I found it hard to believe that plastic wheels (even LGB ones) would leave gunk on the track, but having replaced everything with metal wheels the difference is amazing. I have to do MUCH less cleaning. In fact these days it's a quick run with an open wagon with LGB cleaning shoes underneath (with bits of Scotch pan cleaner underneath) and that's it.

I was staggered - but 'tis a fact.

Same here. I've banned plastic wheels from my re-built railway in the last month and as Martino says, the difference is amazing.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Martino said:
I have to confess that I found it hard to believe that plastic wheels (even LGB ones) would leave gunk on the track, but having replaced everything with metal wheels the difference is amazing. I have to do MUCH less cleaning.

Welcome to the true religion, Martino! Plastic wheels are like alcohol-free beer, decaff. coffee & the England football team: an abomination. :bleh:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
wow that much of a difference

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
stevedenver said:

You bet Steve, I wouldn't have believed what a difference it makes.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
alcohol-free beer, decaff. coffee
Go and chew on carbolic THIS INSTANT!
Cheeky Tiggers indeed, humph.
:D

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
stevedenver said:

Ah, but here's a conundrum:
64 axles to convert costs £355.20 (plus more for future purchases - if I'm allowed :rofl: )
Track cleaning loco costs £282.69
What do I go for? And the track cleaner doubles up as a stretched limo Schoema for the V.I.P.s. In the event of any bothering to come here.

Now, just for Mel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqlf_pLFFDs

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
pugwash said:
yb281 said:
stevedenver said:

Ah, but here's a conundrum:
64 axles to convert costs £355.20 (plus more for future purchases - if I'm allowed :rofl: )

Track cleaning loco costs £282.69
What do I go for? And the track cleaner doubles up as a stretched limo Schoema for the V.I.P.s. In the event of any bothering to come here.

Now, just for Mel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqlf_pLFFDs

Jeremy (Dragon) does the 4-packs of Bachmann axles for £11.00 less 5% GSC discount = £10.45 a pack, = £2.61 per axle; so at that rate, 64 axles are going to cost you just under £170..... are you going by LGB prices to get the figure of £355.20?

Incidentally I've just had three Bachmann packs from him for a trial run, and they seem great! Having got a few LGB ones already I'd echo the earlier comments about the Bachmann ones being much heavier as they are all-metal rather than metal with plastic centres, and especially for lightweight stock I'm very happy with the extra weight. I also asked at a local model shop about bulk-ordering a box of Bachmann sets, and though they were very good and offered me 15% off the list price, they STILL worked out more expensive than Dragon even after the discount!