Bachmann wheels on LGB wagons...?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Probably an old question, that most of you already know the answer to......

Are Bachmann metal wheelsets a straight clip-in replacement on LGB rolling stock, or do they need any modification to either stock or wheels?

Given that the Bachmann ones are less than half the price of LGB, is there any appreciable difference in running quality or is it just a case of typically high LGB pricing?

Thanks in advance!

Jon.

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
Jon,

The good news is that they are a straight replacement for plastic wheels of the same diameter.

The bad news is that Bachmann quality reflects its price.
Some axles have wobbly wheels, although most are fine.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Westcott said:
Jon,

The good news is that thhey are a straight replacement for plasric wheels of the same diameter.

The bad news is that Bachmann quality reflects its price.
Some axles have wobbly wheels, although most are fine.

Thanks! Kind of what I'd guessed, I'd heard of lots of folks using Bachmann wheelsets, so I assumed they were quite an easy fit, but I'm not surprised to hear they are not quite as good - you usually get what you pay for in this world! ;)

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
Even if you discard the wobbly ones, the remaining good ones are still the cheapest on the market!
I don't think that anyone has come up with a way of straightening them yet.

jacobsgrandad

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I'm using them and they are, so far, good enough for my puroses, but I'm no expert.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I've heard this "wobbly" rumour before, but I've got maybe 30 sets of wheels (mostly on LGB stock) and have NEVER had a wobbly one. Brilliant value for money IMO.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
Thanks! Kind of what I'd guessed, I'd heard of lots of folks using Bachmann wheelsets, so I assumed they were quite an easy fit, but I'm not surprised to hear they are not quite as good - you usually get what you pay for in this world! ;)

Fair comments. However in the case of lighter stock Bachmann wheelsets may prove superior due to their weight. The LGB "metal" wheels are much lighter as they are plastic with a metal tyre.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
The bad news is that Bachmann quality reflects its price. Some axles have wobbly wheels, although most are fine.

If someone has a wobbly set and wants to send them to me, I'll stick 'em in the lathe and see if I can identify what's wrong; and if I can offer of a solution. Course it all depends on the price of them. If they're cheap enough, does it matter?

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
bobg said:
If someone has a wobbly set and wants to send them to me, I'll stick 'em in the lathe and see if I can identify what's wrong; and if I can offer of a solution. Course it all depends on the price of them. If they're cheap enough, does it matter?

Nice offer!

They are about £10 for 4 axles.
Many users just put up with the odd bad one.

The wobbly ones I have (but Mel doesn't) seem to be caused by the plastic insert in the wheel centre being slightly skew on the axle.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
In that case can I offer a solution without seeing the total problem. Has anybody tried hot water and applying a little pressure in the right direction?

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
Kim sums it up well - given their cost, most of ufs just live with a small wobble.
And, of course, slightly out-of-true Bachmann wheels as well.

Perhaps it is the non-Aristocraft unsprung bogies/trucks that show the problem most?

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
Here's a closeup of a Bachmann metal wheel.
A few of them seem to have slightly skew plastic centres.

def1547370774cf29a62bc41c50966a7.jpg

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
The plastic centre collar is quite obviously there for electrical insulation. As to why it should decide to go askew occasionally when the whole thing is pressed together is a bit odd, unless some "foreign" body has become entangled in the press jig.

Perhaps a simple jig with two close fitting parallel slots, at the correct 'back to back' measurement for the wheels and the application of SWMBO's hair drier (with adequate permissions of course) whilst rolling the set back and forth, would do the trick. Melting the plastic is not what is needed, just sufficient softening to allow re-alignment. Fingers to be kept at a sensible distance of course.

Two and a half quid apiece is not insubstantial if one has many wagons to convert and a percentage of these wheelsets are unusable.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Bachmann wheelsets are a great value option but beware if you leave your rolling stock outside for long periods as they rust like mad! Of course that makes them look prototypical and the rust on the tread that touches the track soon comes off when running. The only bit that would be good to lubricate to stop the rust (and slightly improve the running) would be the axle journal bearings (plastic friendly oil of course).

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Westcott said:
Even if you discard the wobbly ones, the remaining good ones are still the cheapest on the market!
I don't think that anyone has come up with a way of straightening them yet.
I am not called fimble fungers for nothing. See the following thread:-

http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?high=&m=69974&mpage=1#69979

Edit: Tidied up the posts for you Don. Hope you don't mind. Gareth

Pipalya

White Pass, SAR (South Australian Railways)
16 Jun 2010
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I found the Bachmann metal wheelsets excellent replacements for the LGB. However I did run into one bad set. I then decided to buy a heap of SanVal wheelsets (http://www.san-val.com/) , over a y...ns have been indoor to date) so we shall see.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
On the CFR we have hundreds of Bachmann wheelsets. Some are over twenty years old. Some are a little wobbly, I fit those to break vans(Cabooses) they lookgreat behind a long consist. I've never had a rusty set yet. We use them on all the major manufacturers various models. I've also fitted them to the Accucraft "Welshpool" rolling stock.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
I have to say I have at least one Ac/craft axle on Welshpool stock that has a slight wobble to it, and mine are only recently out of the box, so it was like that from China (say no more).

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Would it be possible to remove the wheels from the axles and put two good ones on one axle and two dodgy ones on the other axle. The dodgy ones could be used for static displays.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
[Would it be possible to remove the wheels from the axles and put two good ones on one axle and two dodgy ones on the other axle. The dodgy ones could be used for static displays. ]
If you so wished, it might work. The wobble on mine isn't causing a problem (yet), but from what's been said it seems the biggest problem is the axles anyway, rather than the wheels themselves. If I did have trouble I have the kit to produce axles in Silver Steel so would try replacement first.

As with all mass produced stuff it's a question of tollerances, and presumably these are getting past what ever quality control is in place. In China? Very little probably, it costs money.