Bachmann Tram Rebuild

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Recently I was lucky enough to get a bachmann tram on ebay for a reasonable price. It's nice as is, little four wheeled trams like this one were once common in cities all over the world. There was never anything exactly like this in Victoria though, and just about every second person has got one.

IMG_0173%20Large_zpsm7vsyusy.jpg

After some consideration I thought it might be possible to rebuild it into a Duncan and Fraser single truck tram. These trams ran on all four Victorian tram networks, and many survive today.

IMG_9642%20Medium_zps9wacjjrl.jpg

First step was complete disassembly.

IMG_0343%20Large_zpsiiynjspi.jpg

IMG_0341%20Large_zpsoomwuxe2.jpg

I ended up with a big box of bits. Most of these will be reused in some form or other.

IMG_0344%20Large_zpscelzvxke.jpg

Right then, time to get serious.

IMG_0351%20Large_zpsznmhtqht.jpg

This is what we ended up with. Time to start reassembling.

IMG_0353%20Large_zpsdombjpfb.jpg

The centre section of the body was removed and the two ends rejoined. Some new motor bock mounts were made that allow the body to sit a little lower.

IMG_0352%20Large_zpsbfetw4dg.jpg

On closer inspection this was not going to be as straightfoward as I thought. To get the proportions right the body also needed to be widened slightly. The roof was also cut in half and a section spliced in.

IMG_0355%20Large_zpskjrl8jhm.jpg

The shortened and widened body. Luckily the cuts went through the doorways, so it was relatively straightfoward to widen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good, hope you will continue with this report. - Thanks.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Serious Cut n Shut Job, nice to see someone bashing one of these to make something different.
JonD

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Work is proceeding, but I didn't want to break the first post with too many images. :)

The prototype was originally a California combination, with cross benches at each end and an enclosed centre section. Later on it was modified to have the ends enclosed as well, obviously they were not so popular on a cold winter morning.

IMG_0359%20Large_zpsd9ig1wtf.jpg

The frame extensions were attached to what was left of the end platforms.

IMG_0361%20Large_zpsvy7ajoa0.jpg

Making the new ends. The prototype is a very long four wheel tram (9.7M), so has a rather interesting motion at any sort of speed. :)

IMG_0755%20Large_zpsvsqwgij5.jpg

The roof also needed to be extended at each end. A new section was made from a bit of PVC sewer pipe.

IMG_0758%20Large_zps4ueg7se5.jpg

All glued up. The ends of the old roof were reused, but with a gap in the middle for the destination box.

IMG_0761%20Large_zpsfktzjtf8.jpg

Making the walls for the end sections. On the prototype these parts were fitted later to enclose the open seating at each end.

IMG_0763%20Medium_zpsltpimuex.jpg

Test fit to see how everything is looking. Starting to look tram shaped again!

IMG_0870%20Large_zps8xlpp9dn.jpg

The steps and front bumpers were made from various scrap metals. Old computer cases are a good source of scrap metal for building. They're usually steel between 0.3 and 1mm thick, with a protective coating. If you scrape a little bit of the coating off then heat it, solder will readily flow under the coating and stick to the clean metal underneath. And they're free! :D

IMG_0874%20Large_zpshv7d69n9.jpg

Beading on the end panels and steps and bumpers fitted. Looks like a tram again, but still a bit of work to go. The trolley pole is just sitting there for the photo, the roof still needs some attention.

IMG_1143%20Large_zpsscmqshf3.jpg

Some filler and sanding to finish off the roof shape. Automotive filler is a useful modelling tool, it seems to stick to anything and sets very hard.

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have been using Squadren Products White and Green Modellers Putty, a bit easier than Car Body Filler as it is ready mixed for the impatient. But has let me down on occasion being not quite so strong. Must get back into Car Body Filler, relatively inexpensive and as you say sticks like the proverbial.

Interesting use of PVC Sewer Pipe. Must keep my eye out for some off cuts of NEW in skips!
JonD

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
I have been using Squadren Products White and Green Modellers Putty, a bit easier than Car Body Filler as it is ready mixed for the impatient. But has let me down on occasion being not quite so strong. Must get back into Car Body Filler, relatively inexpensive and as you say sticks like the proverbial.

Interesting use of PVC Sewer Pipe. Must keep my eye out for some off cuts of NEW in skips!
JonD

It's a good construction material, you can easily join it to other PVC plastics with pipe glue. Best thing though is that if you heat it with a heat gun and bend it, it retains the shape after it cools.

Unfortunately availability of dedicated modelling products isn't too good in Australia, and when you can get them they are expensive. One of the reasons I like large scale is you can usually use cheap and easy to get stuff from the hardware store. :D

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That's looking tram good :clap::clap::clap:

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
At this point everything was temporarily assembled for a clearance test run. The tramway has tight restrictions on both width and height, and this is a longer and wider tram than any of the others. It passed with about 1mm to spare, so no track adjustments needed.

IMG_1042crop_zpsivgjqzyy.jpg
IMG_1049crop_zpsoiij02ew.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Nice !

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The transformation is phenominal, looking forward to the Paint Job now.
JonD

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Had a small delay because work, but construction is proceeding.

IMG_2191%20Medium_zpszkkgdcw4.jpg

Preparing for painting. All the timber was given a coat of varnish first.

IMG_2688%20Medium_zpsd3tc0u3l.jpg

Wiring up the lights. An old computer power supply provides a lot of salvageable parts.

IMG_2693%20Medium_zpsobw5kjkc.jpg

Like this bridge rectifier.

IMG_3091%20Medium_zpsvcimyfoy.jpg

It goes under the floor, to provide power for the non directional lights.

The tram retains the original Bachmann motor block. I've noticed a lot of people complain about these, and replace them with better running units. So far they have been working for me (replacing them would be really expensive in any case) but there is a few modifications that you can do which helps them out a lot. The first is the traction capacitors, which provide power to cover small dead spots in the track. They keep the voltage to the motor relatively smooth, which makes it run a lot quieter and with less stress on the gears. The other is some additional weight.

IMG_3094%20Medium_zpsglzi6csk.jpg

Started with a bit of lead. It's from an old LGB Stainz that was dismantled for parts.

IMG_3095%20Medium_zpsqpmjvwzr.jpg

After a bit of hammering it looks like this. A small bit of full size rail turned upside down makes a good anvil.

IMG_3097%20Medium_zps8byrrdwx.jpg

Which when cut in half fits neatly under the seats.

All the individual parts were painted in their major colours and everything reassembled.

IMG_2949%20Medium_zpsw7k0ng83.jpg

Starting to look more like a tram now.

IMG_3176crop_zpssp4fx8yd.jpg

Test run! I printed some destination rolls and signs. All the removable signs are just stuck on with blue tack at the moment.

IMG_3149crop_zpsszoggfhv.jpg

The distinctive lights and stripes are an important feature of this tram. The prototype was operated by the state electricity commission of Victoria. As road vehicle traffic increased during the 1950's they had problems with cars running into trams on dark suburban streets. Ironically the street lighting (or lack of it) was also the responsibility of the SEC!

Still quite a few little details to make, but nearly done now.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Had a small delay because work, but construction is proceeding.

Still quite a few little details to make, but nearly done now.

A bonzer job!

I'm looking forward to seeing it again with your final tweaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Wow ! What a nice job you did.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely job (and thread)!

Stan B

Where am I?
9 Feb 2015
Rotherham
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent kit bash. Like all the recycling.

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys! Pretty much finished now, with numbers and lining and stuff.

IMG_4016crop_zpsjblu41rs.jpg

IMG_4020crop_zps2qhcec4e.jpg

IMG_4026crop_zpsjme8zsjd.jpg

IMG_3998crop_zpsdirxa1bl.jpg

The trolley wheel is fake, it does not actually rotate. I think the scraping action is required to keep the overhead clean for outside use.

Reactions: 1 users

Kayanbee

Registered
14 Sep 2014
Hampshire
Best answers
Country flag
Recently I was lucky enough to get a bachmann tram on ebay for a reasonable price. It's nice as is, little four wheeled trams like this one were once common in cities all over the world. There was never anything exactly like this in Victoria though, and just about every second person has got one.

After some consideration I thought it might be possible to rebuild it into a Duncan and Fraser single truck tram. These trams ran on all four Victorian tram networks, and many survive today.

I ended up with a big box of bits. Most of these will be reused in some form or other.

The centre section of the body was removed and the two ends rejoined. Some new motor bock mounts were made that allow the body to sit a little lower.

On closer inspection this was not going to be as straightfoward as I thought. To get the proportions right the body also needed to be widened slightly. The roof was also cut in half and a section spliced in.

The shortened and widened body. Luckily the cuts went through the doorways, so it was relatively straightfoward to widen.
Thanks guys! Pretty much finished now, with numbers and lining and stuff.

IMG_4016crop_zpsjblu41rs.jpg

IMG_4020crop_zps2qhcec4e.jpg

IMG_4026crop_zpsjme8zsjd.jpg

IMG_3998crop_zpsdirxa1bl.jpg

The trolley wheel is fake, it does not actually rotate. I think the scraping action is required to keep the overhead clean for outside use.

Kayanbee

Registered
14 Sep 2014
Hampshire
Best answers
Country flag

Kayanbee

Registered
14 Sep 2014
Hampshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, You can improve then running of Bachmann trams by fitting old style LGB pick ups. Part number 63210. You have to remove some weights which weren't very heavy which get in the way so I have glued some lead under the vestibule ends.