Bachmann Toby Conversion

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways & more caving. Fan of TTTE
1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.co.uk
Best answers
I'm going to fit Toby with radio control and battery power. Like others on the forum I was disappointed when the model came out as the door and window spaces are all solid black. As part of the conversion I want to cut out the doors and windows and fit something inside that looks right. Any tips for cutting out and making good would be appreciated and accompanied by photos would be even better. I've searched the forum and have found one or two bits, but nothing detailed. If I've missed anything please point me to it. Thanks in anticipation.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Keith,I am not familiar with the toby model but i assume that the body is hollow shell once removed?if so,the way i would remove the fake windows would be the same as making new ones, if the body is hollow i would go on like this:using a small drill,drill out holes in the four corners of the window,leaving a little waste(not too near the frame),then a series of holes along the sides and top,try and overlap the holes slightly to give a continuos hole,or seperate holes if easier,now with a sharp knife or small saw,join the holes to remove the centre,now around the inside of the frame you should have  a series of half"U"  shaped holes where the fake window was,now simply file down the waste to the inside of the window frame,finishing with very fine "wet n dry" paper giving you nice square window openings,dont forget to work the inside of the body to remove any burrs,so any glazing etc will sit exactly to the body :)  I have attached couple of old pics,the RPO  had new windows cut,and the caboose had no windows in the front of the cupola,both worked as above,hope this helps you,regards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Neil. :)

Attachments

• RPO 003.JPG
    RPO 003.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 52
  • lil caboose 003.JPG
    lil caboose 003.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 42

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Another rather nice conversion on this thread by another Tony, is it because the names are so close? ;)

https://www.gscalecentral.net/kit-building-bashing-scratch-build/cheap-kit-bashing-for-toby-the-tram/msg318360/#msg318360

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
Thanks everyone for the advice and the links. I think I'm now going to be OK with the cutting out and the battery R/C conversion. Has anyone got any suggestions for how to finish off inside the cabs?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
an old Stainz boiler perhaps.

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
Thanks again for the advice received from this forum. I`ve now started work on Toby and here`s how I`m getting on so far.
TransformingToby1.jpgToby in `out of the box` condition with solid doors and windows.

TransformingToby2.jpgToby with the lid off. The challenge is to disguise the motor and gearbox when there are 8 windows and 4 cab sides to see through.

TransformingToby3.jpgToby is now `see through`. The window openings have been glazed and the paint touched up.

TransformingToby4.jpgIn this side view Toby`s new boiler can be glimpsed through the cab door.

TransformingToby5.jpgToby undressed. The funnel extension from the smoke box lines up with the funnel on the cab roof.  The wires from the smoke unit will pass down the funnel. The lower half of the boiler has been boxed in to leave room for the battery pack and electronics to be installed. Toby`s eye operating mechanism has been painted matt black. This will not be boxed in. Hopefully it won`t be noticed behind his driver.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That is suitably impressive.. A great improvement.
:happy:

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Do you plan to do something about the plastic finish ? Matt clear lacquer may tone Toby's finish down a bit.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Can't wait to see the 'new improved' version in a Pine Tree Junction production!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not familiar with Toby's prototype. Is the exterior supposed to replicate wood siding?

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
I'm not familiar with Toby's prototype. Is the exterior supposed to replicate wood siding?
Yes. The wooden bodywork concealed 0-4-0 or, later, 0-6-0 tank engines, designed for unfenced roadside or dockside (in the road) working. The intent was to keep people, animals, other vehicles out of the mechanism, and to avoid "frightening the horses".

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The originals were originally built for the Wisbech and Upwell Roadside Tramway a Standard Gauge line. Some also saw use at varying Roadside Dock Lines on the Great Eastern Railway and into BR Years. The Bodywork was indeed wood, indeed not unlike a Brake Van. However the Skirts that concealed the Wheels were in fact Steel Platework.

Why they come to be part of the Thomas Range is that the original writer of the stories one rev W. Awdrey had a Parish near the W and U.

JonD

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
As others have written, Toby is based on a GER class 70. For more information there's a very informative web page at http://www.lner.info/locos/J/j70.shtml.

garrymartin

30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Keith E said:
As others have written, Toby is based on a GER class 70. For more information there's a very informative web page at http://www.lner.info/locos/J/j70.shtml.
So after reading the above and the original story we can deduce that Toby is in fact 68222 ! 8)

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
Thanks for the comments on Toby's transformation. Toby has recorded a video diary to answer some of the questions posed.

Last edited:

garrymartin

30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Keith E said:
Thanks for the comments on Toby's transformation. Toby has recorded a video diary to answer some of the questions posed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp1XiMO5Hrk
Well said Toby !

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Chris Vernell said:
Yes. The wooden bodywork concealed 0-4-0 or, later, 0-6-0 tank engines, designed for unfenced roadside or dockside (in the road) working. The intent was to keep people, animals, other vehicles out of the mechanism, and to avoid "frightening the horses".

You guys seem to have had and maybe still have your railway's right of way fenced in. Obviously not the case here and never has been. Let the public beware. The simplest reason for us not having private right of ways would be the sheer milage of our system I would suspect.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Great video!!