Bachmann stock car

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to Santa and the generosity of my family, I have recently acquired, amongst other things, a second-hand Bachmann stock car. I am idly wondering how I might modify/customise/re-purpose it? I have a couple of Schleich cows which I could pop inside but am open to more creative [but polite]suggestions? Anyone know what sort of internal arrangements these vehicles had? Stalls? Additional floor to accommodate sheep?

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Since posting the above I have seen an earlier, similar, post which refers to the addition of sound and animal figures, but I am really hoping to find something of a more imaginative change.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Its an old pic and a custom built car to the same size as a Bachmann car(reefer in background) but maybe some food for thought at least,the roof is removed,it`ll be interesting to see what you come up with;);).I too had some animals to loose,straw is paint brush bristles!The door in the end of the car allows access from the drovers caboose to allow the animals to be attended to whilst on the move,it normally runs on the end of stock trains.the room on the end is for feed,water and saddlery etc.IMG_20180202_111647.jpg

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Its an old pic and a custom built car to the same size as a Bachmann car(reefer in background) but maybe some food for thought at least,the roof is removed,it`ll be interesting to see what you come up with;);).I too had some animals to loose,straw is paint brush bristles!The door in the end of the car allows access from the drovers caboose to allow the animals to be attended to whilst on the move,it normally runs on the end of stock trains.the room on the end is for feed,water and saddlery etc.View attachment 278971
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. I’m even tempted to do some scratchbuilding if I can find a spare chassis. I think I’ve got one in the attic somewhere....and I’d better start thinking about a drover’s caboose...

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Its an old pic and a custom built car to the same size as a Bachmann car(reefer in background) but maybe some food for thought at least,the roof is removed,it`ll be interesting to see what you come up with;);).I too had some animals to loose,straw is paint brush bristles!The door in the end of the car allows access from the drovers caboose to allow the animals to be attended to whilst on the move,it normally runs on the end of stock trains.the room on the end is for feed,water and saddlery etc.View attachment 278971
Just had an expedition into the attic - found enough basswood and bits so I can seriously consider scratchbuilding something like - don’t suppose you’ve got a side view knocking about???

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just had an expedition into the attic - found enough basswood and bits so I can seriously consider scratchbuilding something like - don’t suppose you’ve got a side view knocking about???
Glad it was some help!I have not used it in a long time so not exactly sure where it is in store but will see if I can dig it out and sort a pic or two no problem;););););)

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Glad it was some help!I have not used it in a long time so not exactly sure where it is in store but will see if I can dig it out and sort a pic or two no problem;););););)
That’s very kind of you, thanks again. I’m asking The Sparesman if he can find me a pair of bogies...

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
With luck,can post tomorrow.good luck with the trucks;);)

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
The Bachmann stock car is great for modification as it is the only make where the floor can be detached from the body.

My layout has terrible inclines so although I use multi-headed locos or 'helper loco' trains, I do like the sight of lone steam or diesel loco pulling a good string of cars.
I needed to find a way of somehow giving the solitary loco some help.

The Bachmann stock car came to the rescue. I would 'motorise' three or four of them. and having a removable floor would help this greatly.

Cutting a long story short (I did post threads about it on the forum some years ago but the photos have disappeared from the thread over the timespan ), I used Aristocraft centre-cab loco motor blocks with a wheel base pretty dead on for the stockcar bogie. I used one block per car and pickup axles on the non-motorised bogie.

Once the blocks were in and the cars had the Bachmann name and info boards whipped off and replaced with customised ones, they were embellished with metal detailing parts and given a weather job.
They also had a QSI 'Live action' cow sound card installed in each car.

The 'motor' stock cars worked really well as the speed of the centre-cab blocks closely matched that of the modified Bachmann Annies or single GP30, GP9, NW2 diesels that would be used with them.

I now had a lone loco pulling a decent string of cars up the inclines using the 'invisibly motorised stockcars as helpers.
The motorised stock cars also helped to 'retard' on the down gradient as well (stopping the concertina effect from the force of the cars down the slope).

I added DCC decoders to the motorised stockcars so that they could be used on digital or analogue layouts (they were given the same address as the loco that they would be working with).

rs3 long thin under lavendar.jpg

rs3 climb rear section.jpg

In this photo you can see some 'flying' grey wires which I was part of an experiment to electrically connect the cars to each other, I abandoned the idea soon after the photo was taken.
three alone 3.jpg

Last edited:

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
That’s very kind of you, thanks again. I’m asking The Sparesman if he can find me a pair of bogies...
The car was easy to find and was where I thought it was!!!!!OK some pics if they help you,sides,ends as they are different,each end interior and full length with the roof removed,bolt and rivet details were from Cambrian models,think now name change and hope they are still trading as need some more,bucket is dolls house item,hope these help.;););)

Rio.IMG_20210117_100540.jpgIMG_20210117_100555.jpgIMG_20210117_100717.jpgIMG_20210117_100735.jpgIMG_20210117_100811.jpgIMG_20210117_100835.jpgIMG_20210117_100903.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210117_100540.jpg
    IMG_20210117_100540.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 0

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
The Bachmann stock car is great for modification as it is the only make where the floor can be detached from the body.

My layout has terrible inclines so although I use multi-headed locos or 'helper loco' trains, I do like the sight of lone steam loco pulling a good string of cars.
I needed to find a way of somehow giving the solitary loco some help.

The Bachmann stock car came to the rescue. I would 'motorise' three or four of them. and having a removable floor would help this greatly.

Cutting a long story short (I did post threads about it on the forum some years ago but the photos have disappeared from the thread over the timespan ), I used Aristocraft centre-cab loco motor blocks with a wheel base pretty dead on for the stockcar bogie. I used one block per car and pickup axles on the non-motorised bogie.

Once the blocks were in and the cars had the Bachmann name and info boards whipped off and replaced with customised ones, they were embellished with metal detailing parts and given a weather job.
They also had a QSI 'Live action' cow sound card installed in each car.

The 'motor' stock cars worked really well as the speed of the centre-cab blocks closely matched that of the modified Bachmann Annies or single GP30, GP9, NW2 diesels that would be used with them.

I now had a lone loco pulling a decent string of cars up the inclines using the 'invisibly motorised stockcars as helpers.
The motorised stock cars also helped to 'retard' on the down gradient as well (stopping the concertina effect from the force of the cars down the slope).

I added DCC decoders to the motorised stockcars so that they could be used on digital or analogue layouts (they were given the same address as the loco that they would be working with).

View attachment 279045

View attachment 279044

In this photo you can see some 'flying' grey wires which I was part of an experiment to electrically connect the cars to each other, I abandoned the idea soon after the photo was taken.
View attachment 279042
Fascinating stuff. I would never have thought of that. I stick to short trains but have thought about double-heading.
The car was easy to find and was where I thought it was!!!!!OK some pics if they help you,sides,ends as they are different,each end interior and full length with the roof removed,bolt and rivet details were from Cambrian models,think now name change and hope they are still trading as need some more,bucket is dolls house item,hope these help.;););)

Rio.View attachment 279081View attachment 279082View attachment 279083View attachment 279084View attachment 279085View attachment 279086View attachment 279087That is brilliant. Thank you so much for your time, trouble and inspiration. Off to the printer!

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
No problem,glad I could be of some help,actually you did me a favour as found 3 cars in store that have never been used so my turn to thank you!!!
Keep us posted on your progress;);)