Bachmann Spectrum GE 45 ton Electrical Troubleshooting

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
My problem is that when I went for the battery conversion, I ripped out all of the Bachmann electric, so can't remember how things work.

Given that the problem is both trucks, it suggests a wire has come off / broken solder joint or some such inside the loco.

There are two smoke units - one under each hood, but I can't remember much about anything else.

The fact that you have power to the lights indicates that (at least) two of the plungers that we were talking about are in the right place and providing current from the wheels - it's pretty unlikely that only the two pick-up plungers are working each end and the two motor power plungers aren't working; the odds of that have got to be greater than winning the lottery.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Back to the problem:

What would happen if the motor blocks were 180 degrees out, when put back?
Any way this could give lights, but not motor?

Are there any switches? - Perhaps so it can sit on the track (with lights) without moving?

I to have one of these, but it is (somewhere) in the workshop.. Not in an original box, not necessarily track-powered.. :worried:

PhilP

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Ha ha, got this one mixed up with the other geared loco "my loco does not run" thread.

I'll go back to my corner now ha!
I did rather wonder - but never mind. I think the only switches are on the smoke units :think:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Back to the problem:

What would happen if the motor blocks were 180 degrees out, when put back?
Any way this could give lights, but not motor?

Are there any switches? - Perhaps so it can sit on the track (with lights) without moving?

I to have one of these, but it is (somewhere) in the workshop.. Not in an original box, not necessarily track-powered.. :worried:

PhilP
I think the way the plungers work, the loco would still work.