Bachmann Spectrum GE 45 ton Electrical Troubleshooting

trailsideGguy

Registered
10 Nov 2022
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I'm a newbie and have been given several engines including a Bachmann Spectrum 45 ton. After cleaning and lubricating I've tried testing it out. At first one truck worked well while the other didn't move an inch. Now both don't move. I detached each truck and took it apart. Both motors and the electrical pickups from the wheels to the circuit board inside the truck work fine. However, the motor contacts inside the truck coming off the circuit board aren't indicating they're getting power from the circuit board to run the motor. Has anyone had this problem? Could it be the circuit board has been fried somehow?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The bits that sometimes give trouble are the four slim plungers (two each end) that form the connections between the bogies and the main chassis.

You'll need to take it apart - a long and painful process - and check that the springs are strong enough (they'll accept a bit of stretching) and that the pins are properly seated.

trailsideGguy

Registered
10 Nov 2022
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Great, Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

trailsideGguy

Registered
10 Nov 2022
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Rhinochugger, I haven't been able to determine how to take the plungers apart to stretch the springs. Do you have any tips?

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
The bits that sometimes give trouble are the four slim plungers (two each end) that form the connections between the bogies and the main chassis.
I'll second that. The 45 tonner and some of the geared locos are terrible. And stretching the springs won't help for long.

I suggest soldering jumper wires between the truck and the loco, which we did on Jerry's loco. If you really think you will be removing the trucks often, then install a 4-pin mini JST (XH?) plug.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'll second that. The 45 tonner and some of the geared locos are terrible. And stretching the springs won't help for long.

I suggest soldering jumper wires between the truck and the loco, which we did on Jerry's loco. If you really think you will be removing the trucks often, then install a 4-pin mini JST (XH?) plug.
Even though I've converted mine to battery power, I still take current through the plungers. I've only had trouble when the bogie has been through an excessive amount of travel (vertically more than horizontally) and that not enough times to make me want to change the arrangement.

I've thought about it once, but it's never given me that much of a problem.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So a bit of long-term advice applicable to may locos that have this setup.

If you get a bad short, you can dump all the short circuit current through the springs, which normally overheats them and removes the temper, and now they are weak and don't make good contact (sound familiar?) This goes for springs on the brushes on backs of wheels, and the spring in the LGB "skates"

For track powered locos, a simple 50 cent "polyswitch" can avoid this issue, and many locos actually came with them, almost all late model Aristo locos did.

Greg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
So a bit of long-term advice applicable to may locos that have this setup.

If you get a bad short, you can dump all the short circuit current through the springs, which normally overheats them and removes the temper, and now they are weak and don't make good contact (sound familiar?) This goes for springs on the brushes on backs of wheels, and the spring in the LGB "skates"

For track powered locos, a simple 50 cent "polyswitch" can avoid this issue, and many locos actually came with them, almost all late model Aristo locos did.

Greg
I think the problem is the opposite - you don't get a short, it's just that when the bogey (truck) is set at a funny angle, the springs are over extended and the pins don't always re-locate properly

Well, that's my assumption :think::think:

The once or twice it has happened to me, I've either taken the bogies off and re-mounted it, or just sort of fiddled about with it (technical term).

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Umm... you probably have weakened springs that do not give enough pressure to the plunger. Tell me you can be sure you never had a derailment and a short. I don't know one track power person this has not happened to. You should never have to remove the truck. Now you can get dirt/oxidation on the plungers, but that has not been reported by you.

Greg

trailsideGguy

Registered
10 Nov 2022
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure of the history of this engine. The previous owner is no longer with us so I don't know what condition the engine was in when it was last used. When I first tested the engine all the lights were functional and one of the truck motors was moving sporadically. That one has now stopped and was the reason I posted the question for help.
I still haven't figured out how to remove the plungers and springs to stretch the springs. The spring and plunger housing is attached to a circuit board inside the truck (see attached). Removing the board they're attached to seems very difficult due to the gear axles. Based on the previous posts, I'm wondering if I should cut my losses and just purchase new trucks.

Attachments

• IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 0

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Umm... you probably have weakened springs that do not give enough pressure to the plunger. Tell me you can be sure you never had a derailment and a short. I don't know one track power person this has not happened to. You should never have to remove the truck. Now you can get dirt/oxidation on the plungers, but that has not been reported by you.

Greg
Ah, difficult to say that, 'cos it's converted to battery, so derailments with this loco don't give me that issue.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure of the history of this engine. The previous owner is no longer with us so I don't know what condition the engine was in when it was last used. When I first tested the engine all the lights were functional and one of the truck motors was moving sporadically. That one has now stopped and was the reason I posted the question for help.
I still haven't figured out how to remove the plungers and springs to stretch the springs. The spring and plunger housing is attached to a circuit board inside the truck (see attached). Removing the board they're attached to seems very difficult due to the gear axles. Based on the previous posts, I'm wondering if I should cut my losses and just purchase new trucks.
No, you don't need to purchase new trucks.

The plungers go down through the chassis (footplate) and make contact with the top of the bogie. I think there must be some quarter circle (ish) contact plates for them to push on - the memory is a bit dim, because it's a long time since I took mine apart.

Just check, when you put the motor back in, that those little phosphor-bronze wipers are making good contact with the motor connectors.

Annoyingly, there's no exploded diagram on the Bachmann website :banghead:

trailsideGguy

Registered
10 Nov 2022
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Gosh guys, I'm so sorry. I've misunderstood everyone. I plead stupid newbie status (or maybe an extreme inability to connect the dots). You've been talking about the chassis plungers and springs in the first picture below while I've been thinking we were talking about the plungers and springs on the sides of the trucks (bogies) which contact the wheels (second picture). As you can see in the second picture the plunger on the right isn't completely extended, which led me to believe that was the reason why the truck wasn't operating. I thought I needed to somehow remove that plunger and spring and stretch the spring so the plunger had better contact with the wheel. Now I see of course those plungers and springs are simply impossible to remove.
What I think everyone is saying (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is my real issue is the chassis plungers are not making good contact with the circuit board feed-throughs on the top of the truck. Once I stretch the springs on the plungers, I should see both trucks operating normally - provided there's good contact between the plungers (on the side of the trucks) and the wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_2104.JPG
    IMG_2104.JPG
    480.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 0

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You got it :clap:

It's not always easy describing tings without diagrams.

My experience with my 45T is that when I've had power issues, it's a lack of power coming through the plungers that's usually the issue.

trailsideGguy

Registered
10 Nov 2022
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Power is now very consistent to the main chassis (cab light and headlights operate normally without any flickering) but still don't have power to the motors inside the trucks. I've taken the trucks apart to make sure the bronze wipers are making a good connection with the motor contacts. Difficult to see for sure since after the two halves are connected to each other there's no way to check it out.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ha ha, got this one mixed up with the other geared loco "my loco does not run" thread.

I'll go back to my corner now ha!
:giggle:;):giggle:

You're forgiven, Greg..
It is Christmas, after all!

PhilP