Bachmann Peter Witt Streetcar

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I have to take some of it back..
Art 22491 Santa Fe "Silver War Bonnet" #5610 on the box and on the loco..

The paint-scheme seems very good, but it has been 'had-at' in places: The cab windows have glue smeared on the inner faces (possibly the cab interior has been enhanced)? Front and rear end steps have been glued, with something which has oozed a little. The front bonnet, has a very smooth, shiny finish, but the paint is pitted ?through to primer?
The 'War Bonnet' paint scheme seems very thick, and too good somehow? - It just doesn't feel 'right'? :think::think:
Pictures:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, by tracing the model number and the road number it is an SD-45.

Probably the best diesel Aristo ever made. I would guess a phoenix sound system judging by the 2 magnets.

Looks like the last road number for the warbonnet scheme.

Sometimes they laid the red on pretty thick, especially with the colored stripes around the "bonnet"

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would guess a phoenix sound system judging by the 2 magnets.

Yes, a 'vintage' 2k2..

Sometimes they laid the red on pretty thick, especially with the colored stripes around the "bonnet"

Definitely! - I am amazed how good the paintwork is. The tyres are through the plating, in places. Even having cleaned them up, pickup is not good. - Still, this one is having batteries and RC fitted.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Not that it matters, but how did we get to diesels from streetcars ?.....:wondering:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Not that it matters, but how did we get to diesels from streetcars ?.....:wondering:

It is amazing what a good paint-job can achieve! ;)

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Mr. Elmassian.
YOU OWE ME An apology.....
You have posted that I (Fred Mills) wrote that both the Aristo, and Bachmann street cars were the same...in this thread.
I was NOT the "Fred" who made that statement...
I am waiting for the apology, to be posted in several places, where you tried to disgrace me, and my name.
Thank you in advance for your oh so kind co-operation.
Fred Mills

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, it was a different fred that wrote that and then deleted his post.

Sorry.... since the post was gone no way to double check.

We'll send the dogs after the other Fred who must have pre-calculated this heinous transgression. Such a huge travesty and so important. And no, I am not sprinkling apologies all in several places, relax Fred, no one really cares.

On further reflection, since it really bothers you, email me the links to the offending posts and I will do my best to remove the offending verbiage.

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
;)
Greg = Aircraft Carrier
Fred = Lighthouse
:giggle:

(Sorry, you-two, I could not resist!) :eek:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
That was a picture of an undecorated model, I thought it showed the details better. We used to be able to get these on occasion.

Yep. Aristocraft used to charge the same price for the most complex paint schemed models AND the primer grey. I lucked into a grey SD45, and got Shawmut Car shops to make me a unique NP canoe-scheme SD45 to match one outside the shops on its first day of revenue service....

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I have to take some of it back..
Art 22491 Santa Fe "Silver War Bonnet" #5610 on the box and on the loco..

The paint-scheme seems very good, but it has been 'had-at' in places: The cab windows have glue smeared on the inner faces (possibly the cab interior has been enhanced)? Front and rear end steps have been glued, with something which has oozed a little. The front bonnet, has a very smooth, shiny finish, but the paint is pitted ?through to primer?
The 'War Bonnet' paint scheme seems very thick, and too good somehow? - It just doesn't feel 'right'? :think::think:
Pictures:
View attachment 253251

View attachment 253252

View attachment 253253

View attachment 253254

View attachment 253255

View attachment 253256

Red is a semi-transparent colour and so not the easiest to get a really first class finish with. Its semi-transparency is also why it tends to fade more than other colours

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm, dunno about thin red paint - here are my two Aristo SD45s in warbonnet scheme and a CPR version [different red, I know, but.........] please ignorise the NP loco.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
From the road numbers, they were an earlier run... he has the last run of the warbonnet, I believe. (or perhaps just a different year, but I believe his is at least second run if not later)

Of course since he showed his "aristo badge" with the date of manufacture (2004) , you could easily check to see if I am correct by looking at yours.

Great locos.

Greg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, right. Mine were bought sight unseen, in the original Aristocraft crazy offer of buy 'two for reduced price'. They have performed faultlessly since the first wheel was set on the track, maybe sixteen years ago now? What I DO know is that even getting them sent over here, the two together STILL didn't cost me much more than buying the one loco from the usual sources UK-side.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What I DO know is that even getting them sent over here, the two together STILL didn't cost me much more than buying the one loco from the usual sources UK-side.

Oh! How I wish.. :(:sweating::cry::cry:

Now, I *may* have found a wrong-road, wrong-colour GP38-2??

Nobody has 'blinked' yet, so I am super-gluing my hands to the chair, and sitting on them.. :mask::sweating::mask:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've got a USA Trains GP38 in BNSF colours.............................................................................

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I've got a USA Trains GP38 in BNSF colours.............................................................................

Two too-many letters.. ;)

John Narvell

Registered
11 Dec 2016
MD
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a 'wreck' of a USA Trains GP38-2, and am going to turn it into a 'B' unit. - It did not have an original cab, amongst other things..
I am quite partial to 'green', so am thinking of making it a B&N unit.

Of course, as it will be a 'B' unit, it will need an 'A' unit as well. - I have expensive tastes! :(:rolleyes:
I have a GP 38-2 body and chassis already stripped and ready for paint I’m willing to sell. Cab is in good shape.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
As a Lionel operator and somewhat collector, I must chuckle a bit about the level of scrutiny we give today's model trains. The paint jobs of the fifties are Neanderthal like when compared to what is being produced today. Not only scale models but entry level trains have details in paint that could only have been dreamed of back then.