Bachmann Peter Witt Streetcar

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
What are your thoughts on the Peter Witt streetcar by Bachmann ? I know these have been discussed in the past, but I am too lazy look up the threads.....:giggle: I'm wondering how it might track in a garden railway. Is there play in the trucks that would allow for unevenness in the track ? It would be converted to battery power if it were to come into my hands. witt.jpg

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSCF3976.JPG

Almost like the real thing.

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Best answers
Country flag
What are your thoughts on the Peter Witt streetcar by Bachmann ? I know these have been discussed in the past, but I am too lazy look up the threads.....:giggle: I'm wondering how it might track in a garden railway. Is there play in the trucks that would allow for unevenness in the track ? It would be converted to battery power if it were to come into my hands. View attachment 253115
Cruises through my R 1 loops and spring switches on my trolley line that is regularly assaulted by “landscapers”. There is a lot of vertical pivoting motion in the trucks. A nicely done model, only its scale differential from the LGB N. O. streetcar detracts from my enjoyment.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Cruises through my R 1 loops and spring switches on my trolley line that is regularly assaulted by “landscapers”. There is a lot of vertical pivoting motion in the trucks. A nicely done model, only its scale differential from the LGB N. O. streetcar detracts from my enjoyment.

I was wondering about the size comparison. From videos I have seen, it appears quite a bit smaller, scale wise, than the LGB New Orleans type streetcars. I have also seen videos of Aristocraft PCC cars. They too seem to be a smaller scale than LGB's product.

So just what are the dimensions of the car ?

Last edited:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag

I don't have the streetcar but I do have a pair of the trucks and there is NO sprung movement of the axles in relation to each other. You can force twist the two axles a tad but not designed to do so like an LGB car truck so may be problematic on irregular track. The short wheelbase probably helps matters though.

I think it is in 1:29 scale like the AristoCraft one.

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have the streetcar but I do have a pair of the trucks and there is NO sprung movement of the axles in relation to each other. You can force twist the two axles a tad but not designed to do so like an LGB car truck so may be problematic on irregular track. The short wheelbase probably helps matters though.

I think it is in 1:29 scale like the AristoCraft one.
Yes, it is a perfect size match with my Aristo PCC (note to Dan: PTC livery). It is 18 3/4 in. long, 3 1/2 in. wide, and 4 1/2 in. high. By comparison, the LGB streetcar is 21 1/4 long, 4 3/4 wide, and stands 6 inches high. Someone once said the LGB is approximately 1:26 scale. The difference can be slightly mitigated by keeping in mind that the lightweight cars of the 1930's were lower than the earlier traditional models that they replaced. Fine examples of this transition are the various types of Philadelphia Suburban cars now scattered to various museums, mostly in Pennsylvania.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, it is a perfect size match with my Aristo PCC (note to Dan: PTC livery). It is 18 3/4 in. long, 3 1/2 in. wide, and 4 1/2 in. high. By comparison, the LGB streetcar is 21 1/4 long, 4 3/4 wide, and stands 6 inches high. Someone once said the LGB is approximately 1:26 scale. The difference can be slightly mitigated by keeping in mind that the lightweight cars of the 1930's were lower than the earlier traditional models that they replaced. Fine examples of this transition are the various types of Philadelphia Suburban cars now scattered to various museums, mostly in Pennsylvania.

I have yet to see a large scale streetcar in the Philadelphia Transportation Company livery.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
ART23300.jpg

91703.jpg

Hmm... roof different so different mold there...
sides different, look at the windows, 5 vs 4 windows, so different mold there
trucks different, different molds there
trolley pole different, different assembly parts
front and rear ends completely different, different molds there.

They are clearly not the same, nor could minor tweaks accomplish the differences, they are different molds...
oh, the electronics are completely different too, have had both here in my possession and fitted decoders to each.

(update, this was in reference to a post by Fred saying they were the same design with some little differences, he has deleted the post that this response refers to)

Greg

Last edited:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
They are clearly not the same,
I stand corrected, so I deleted the post. Wonder why I thought they were the same? Maybe one tram looks like any other to me. . .

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Greg,
Is the Aristo car in 'American Racing Colors' (gray primer) :giggle:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That was a picture of an undecorated model, I thought it showed the details better. We used to be able to get these on occasion.

USA Trains list in 'gray' on the 'Roo site..

Not sure whether to get in 'primer' or in the 'correct' colours? - If I buy a painted one, I have the headache of matching the colour.. If I buy a plain one, I have the headache of painting AND all the wording..

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure whether to get in 'primer' or in the 'correct' colours? - If I buy a painted one, I have the headache of matching the colour.. If I buy a plain one, I have the headache of painting AND all the wording..

On what do you have to match the colours? :think:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
On what do you have to match the colours? :think:

I bought a 'wreck' of a USA Trains GP38-2, and am going to turn it into a 'B' unit. - It did not have an original cab, amongst other things..
I am quite partial to 'green', so am thinking of making it a B&N unit.

Of course, as it will be a 'B' unit, it will need an 'A' unit as well. - I have expensive tastes! :(:rolleyes:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I'd tend to get the one already painted. I thought you may be matching the paint for a modification or repair on the same unit which can be tricky.
If you have a good eye and an airbrush you could just match the green. The B&N green looks like a fairly standard jolly green to me. A small test dab with a small brush somewhere over the original where you can't see it can give you a guide of what you need to add to get right.
Try and match a small amount first and once you know which other colours to add to shift the shade to where it needs to be expand on the volume it by adding more. A second unit can be slightly different anyway.
Just a wee bit at a time or you will end up with 20 litres. :banghead:

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
One reason to get an "undecorated" version is that often they were not painted or a very thin primer-type coat.

Painting preserved the sharpness of the molded detail, painting over something already painted will have less "sharpness" of detail.

A small thing, but it can be noticeable.

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Painting preserved the sharpness of the molded detail, painting over something already painted will have less "sharpness" of detail.

I have an Aristocraft 'War Bonnet' livery engine here.. The paint scheme is very shiny, and seems very thick. - I wonder if it has been done as a special?

Difficult to tell, as definitive information seems hard to come-by over here.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What model loco? FA-1? Very few "specials" in Aristo other than erratic issues of the "Hershey" series, or "Napa Valley", and the "show cars" which were normally box cars.

Greg

Hmmm...
Now, it IS an Aristo.. But may not be the model 'as stated' on the box? - Not all packaging, so not sure the box and loco match??

Will get SW to work, and investigate..
PhilP.