Bachmann Peter Witt streetcar

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone have any suggestions for a sound decoder to fit one of these?

It has the old 21 pin interface, and very little space in the area under the car for a decoder. - I do not think I could get a Massoth LS in there without (probably) removing the complete manufacturers circuit board.

Pictures to follow..

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Ross..
I had not clocked the 'feature' about logic levels, but had seen a discussion regarding the use of an interface which the NMRA had 'retired' in 2010!

I have a Massoth LS decoder coming for another job.. I will see if I could shoe-horn that in somehow. - The Streetcar is very well behaved, and the motors draw very little current, so I might get away with the LS if it will physically fit!
Whether I can fudge something to operate the brake-light on, err, braking is another matter.

Then there is the discussion about awe-fenn-tick saunds for it!!! :eek: ;) :D :D

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
Seems there have been a few fried decoders in the States......... :happy: Bachmann QC again.
Yet running it on analogue, it draws very little current..

Looks like the idea of ripping out the Bachmann board, and fitting a (or should that be 'an') LS decoder might be the best bet!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Pictures showing the underside of the model, and an XLS for comparison:

DSC00349-1.jpg

DSC00350-1.jpg

These two shots clearly show the `analogue` board plugged into the 21-pin interface..
The final shot gives a clearer indication how small that board is compared to a Massoth XLS decoder!

DSC00352-1.jpg

DSC00353-1.jpg

It does not look as tight as it is on the photographs.
Removing the Bachmann board will only give 3-4mm extra clearance, but it may well make all the difference.

Of course, I have not (as yet) investigated whether any of the LED`s are `commoned` on one side to reduce the number of wires needed.. If they are, then it may be they are common -ve. and not common +ve. as on Massoth decoders.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP said:
I have a Massoth LS decoder coming for another job.. I will see if I could shoe-horn that in somehow. - The Streetcar is very well behaved, and the motors draw very little current, so I might get away with the LS if it will physically fit!
Then there is the discussion about awe-fenn-tick saunds for it!!! :eek: ;) :D :D
When I attempted a Massoth LS installation in an LGB U.S. streetcar I discovered a bug when using the appropriate sound file whilst running on analogue. O.K. on digital and the sound file is O.K. on analogue with an XLS or the S sound only unit.
I eventually abandoned the LS and installed an XLS.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the 'heads up' Neil.. Judging by the 'noise' on the US forums about these, I think that may be the least of my worries..
Having talked to the Owner, they do not like the idea of a decoder on-show in the body of the 'car.. I await the Postie..

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So, an update..
Totally removed the Bachmann card, and decided on the LS to give more 'wriggle-room'..
motors, and track, are self explanatory.. Judicious use of LED tester proved the connections for the LED's (and polarity!), but this does not seem to work with lighting power (plus resistors) from function outputs! - Am trying to hunt down a circuit diagram (allegedly one exists) but the link to it at Bachmann gives a 404 'not found' error.

Am loath to stuff decoder volts straight up 'em, as it looks a pig to actually get to the LED's if I should blow them.

More after a brew, and a ponder..

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
If you turn the output right down on the XLS they should be fine then you can slowly increase them. We experimented with an led plugged into a LGB some years ago and got it right on the bench before connecting up to the loco circuit ;)
Just give them a big warning note not to do a decoder reset as they will go back to full power.

D

Deleted member 1986

PhilP said:
Am trying to hunt down a circuit diagram (allegedly one exists) but the link to it at Bachmann gives a 404 'not found' error.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/LS_Peter_Witt_Streetcar_Electronics.pdf

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that Arthur, but unfortunately that is what is supplied with the Streetcar..
I am after a diagram showing the LED's (and any other circuitry) off the mainboard.