Bachmann K27 on steroids...

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure whether this has been posted before but having stumbled across it, I thought it worth posting. I think it's probably one of the most impressive implementations of smoke I've seen and it's running on a nice railroad too :)

It looks as though the heart of the system is an ESU XL4. Goodness knows how much effort went into the sound file. Those ESU Programmers are flexible but seem to need a PhD in to make sense of them once you get into the heavy customisation.

I'm still enquiring about the custom smoke units and the control system. The Johnson bar is servo-animated from the cab thanks to the working Bachmann mechanism. The bell is also rumoured to be animated and it has a beautiful auto-coupler .

One thing I cant help but notice is the somewhat jerky low speed motion of the drivers (strange as the loco itself seems to be disconnectedly smooth)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure whether this has been posted before but having stumbled across it, I thought it worth posting. I think it's probably one of the most impressive implementations of smoke I've seen and it's running on a nice railroad too :)

Sound is courtesy of an ESU XL4. I'm still enquiring about the smoke units and control system. The reversing linkage is animated and the bell is rumoured to be animated too.

One thing I cant help but notice is the somewhat jerky low speed motion of the drivers (strange as the loco itself seems to be disconnectedly smooth)
Very nice for my money I reckon there could be up to 4 smoke units present, such a shame it is not pulling a Train.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Very impressive. Can smoke units be made to puff black or at least grey smoke? The slight hiccup in the film is that the chimney smoke seems too clean.
And I didn't snigger at the title, honest

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Can smoke units be made to puff black or at least grey smoke?

The answer from my Chemist-friend: Not easily..

What tends to colour smoke, is unburnt particulates.. - And we all know what is thought of those, these days?

It would also make a mess (as it settled) if used inside.

Best suggestion, is the 'coal' or 'diesel' scented oils.. - I find you can use these diluted, as they are a lot more expensive. The aroma does tend to trigger the grey-cells into overlooking more of the failings, of non-scale smoke.

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
So I received a reply from the chap who did the conversion. It uses 7 custom-designed smoke units apparently - the one for the blowdown as an output of 60w

I understand now how the bell, automatic coupler and Johnson bar work and intend to implement these on mine - the mechanics for them seem pretty simple. It's just a case of getting the packaging sorted out!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Did he count out the 7 units?

My guesses:
1. smokestack
2. dynamo
3. whistle (I am guessing)
4. blowdown
5. cylinder cocks (could be one, two or 4 here... hard to tell looking closely)

Greg

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Did he count out the 7 units?

My guesses:
1. smokestack
2. dynamo
3. whistle (I am guessing)
4. blowdown
5. cylinder cocks (could be one, two or 4 here... hard to tell looking closely)

Greg
Hey Greg. He didn't unfortunately. I'd come up with the same checklist and assumed 2 for the cylinders (perhaps 2 for the blowdown) however, we conversed in German so something may have gotten lost in the translation - I wonder if "7 smoke units" may actually refer to 7 smoke outlets. I don't know how you'd shoe-horn that many devices in the boiler section.

He reports he wouldn't want to do another one. It was weeks of stress which he doesn't want to revisit (I think I can understand that :) ) I've asked whether he'd share the smoke unit information so I'll see what he says about that.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, I do indeed count 7 outlets:

1 smokestack
2 dynamo
3 blowdown
4 left cylinder front cylinder cock
5 left cylinder rear cylinder cock
6 & 7 repeat on right.

Watching the video closely, I do see the 2 individual outlets on the cylinder, and indeed variation between the two.

Anyway, clearly it was a huge amount of work, it must be track powered also, no way batteries would support even just the 60 watt unit.

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
If the smoke units work like I think they do, heating up the fluid, that loco must also be pretty much prototypically hot

• Haha

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If the smoke units work like I think they do, heating up the fluid, that loco must also be pretty much prototypically hot
With a tender full of smoke oil o_O

• Haha

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, I do indeed count 7 outlets:

1 smokestack
2 dynamo
3 blowdown
4 left cylinder front cylinder cock
5 left cylinder rear cylinder cock
6 & 7 repeat on right.

Watching the video closely, I do see the 2 individual outlets on the cylinder, and indeed variation between the two.

Anyway, clearly it was a huge amount of work, it must be track powered also, no way batteries would support even just the 60 watt unit.

Greg

Nice work, spotting where they all are Greg :) Yeah, that'd explain them.
The thing is DCC, apparently there's a 10A booster to the track. I'm not surprised...

It's a nice piece of work for sure. On a parr with the Kiss and KM1 stuff. The packaging's the trick I guess. I'm interested to see if my ESU smoke modules could get something comparable (maybe not the blowdown :) ). I'm unsure whether the ESU smokers have dynamic fan braking which I'm sure makes a difference to the distinct on-/off action, especially for the smoke stack.

I'll have to have a play. I'm bench-testing at the moment though and the ESU decoder tester isn't sufficient to run the smoke unit, so I need to knock together a power switcher in order to use it. I was gonna base it on Thor's great work here

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
If I remember correctly, unless it is a different loco, a video of this on the same line came out a couple of years back, and I think that the owner said then, that the smoke units system had been created by an acquaintance of his for not a small fee..

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You can add dynamic fan braking by adding a diode across the fan motor leads. That's all that is needed.

Using a "smart" smoke unit actually gives you less control. I'd do the "direct drive" style where the fan and the heater are directly wired to the decoder. I do this with Zimo and QSI

Greg

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag

It looks as though the heart of the system is an ESU XL4. Goodness knows how much effort went into the sound file. Those ESU Programmers are flexible but seem to need a PhD in to make sense of them once you get into the heavy customisation.

I'm still enquiring about the custom smoke units and the control system. The Johnson bar is servo-animated from the cab thanks to the working Bachmann mechanism. The bell is also rumoured to be animated and it has a beautiful auto-coupler .

Yes I have seen this guys work before but not sure if it was on the forum or somewhere else,quite a few of his videos on u tube and worth a look,:cool:If I recall correctly his wife does a lot of the scenic work and that's getting the SW involved!