• Hi All I think many of you are not aware of the user profile options, if you hover over the small round icon top right of the screen, it may be black, have 2 letters or even your avatar, it will bring up a menu with lots of options for you to play with. One that we like to see used is the setting of an avatar (little picture) you can now also upgrade your account to remove adverts. Paul

Bachmann Jackson Sharpe Coach re-branding.

G-force1

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
  • G-force1

G-force1

Having collected together almost all the bits to re-assemble these, I wanted to make a start in earnest. The big trouble is that as usual Earnest is nowhere to be found!

All the couplings have been changed to Accu Z2 (see other thread) and everything re-sprayed or painted,

105802_dea4f2c59f5d00bcc4d85543731c7f7d.jpg

105803_5e5d56b05be2e917309b6daa84f829b0.jpg

All the masking tape has been removed and a start to refitting the glazing made.

I thought; next stage, screw the floors back in. This is the first point where I could have come unstuck. By good chance/luck/happenstance I happened to think that the easiest to get near completion was the Baggage car. Having selected and inspected the floor I took the first chassis available and was about to start fitting screws when I realised that there were too few holes. It seems after a look at all the others that the Baggage Car chassis has more screw-holes than the rest. I'd have absolutely hated to get several coaches all screwed together before finding that out. :eek::eek:

105805_fb15a62676269d4faa0354e9f9124544.jpg

(Quick temporary assembly to see the effect.)

JimmyB

JimmyB

Learning; but slowly!
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
  • JimmyB

JimmyB

For the uninitiated, what is a Jackson Sharpe Coach, is it a Bachmann brand or prototype type.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
  • Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

For the uninitiated, what is a Jackson Sharpe Coach, is it a Bachmann brand or prototype type.
Jackson Sharpe were one of the big US carriage builders in the early days, and also built narrow gauge coaches.

Carter Bros were another big builder, but they tended to turn up on site and build the whole railroad on location, wagons, coaches, buildings - everything except locos :nod::nod:

Fred2179G

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
  • Fred2179G

Fred2179G

As a slight digression, and in case anyone else has the same question, the Jackson & Sharpe photo collection is in the Delaware (State) Public Archive.

http://delaware.contentdm.oclc.org/...9&DMHEIGHT=245&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&DMROTATE=0
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fdelaware.contentdm.oclc.org%2Futils%2Fajaxhelper%2F%3FCISOROOT%3Dp15323coll6%26CISOPTR%3D3072%26action%3D2%26DMSCALE%3D5%26DMWIDTH%3D299%26DMHEIGHT%3D245%26DMX%3D0%26DMY%3D0%26DMTEXT%3D%26DMROTATE%3D0&hash=622a68713f7bf93127d64cc7e993aa15

Delaware Public Archives

The Bachmann coach is considerably compressed [so you have to compress the passenger's feet to get them in.] Accucraft makes a similar coach in 1:20.3 which is almost twice as long.

G-force1

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
  • G-force1

G-force1

The Bachmann coach is considerably compressed [so you have to compress the passenger's feet to get them in.
They've got considerably fewer windows as well (Thank goodness!:sweating:!:sweating:!:sweating:!:sweating:!). 17 - 12!

Accucraft makes a similar coach in 1:20.3 which is almost twice as long.
And about 3 times the price, certainly this side of the puddle. :eek::eek: If and when you can get them.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
  • PhilP

PhilP

Now that will look *really* silly on a R1 curve!
:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
  • Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Now that will look *really* silly on a R1 curve!
:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:
It would, but it won't come to that - it does struggle on R3 though, or even Aristo's truer 8ft curves (I still have a circle of 8ft curves dotted around the garden).

Fred2179G

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
  • Fred2179G

Fred2179G

Hey, I have one converted to a 44' 15 window version that has an extra window insterted in the side! Try getting that around R3s.

Anyway, it has several people in it (segue back to the original thread,) that didn't have to have a foot amputation. However, it is tough to get a 1:20.3 person in the seats.

GAP

GAP

G Scale trains, Lawn Bowls.
14 Jun 2011
Bomaderry, New South Wales, Australia
  • GAP

GAP

Having collected together almost all the bits to re-assemble these, I wanted to make a start in earnest. The big trouble is that as usual Earnest is nowhere to be found!

All the couplings have been changed to Accu Z2 (see other thread) and everything re-sprayed or painted,

View attachment 243346

View attachment 243347

All the masking tape has been removed and a start to refitting the glazing made.

I thought; next stage, screw the floors back in. This is the first point where I could have come unstuck. By good chance/luck/happenstance I happened to think that the easiest to get near completion was the Baggage car. Having selected and inspected the floor I took the first chassis available and was about to start fitting screws when I realised that there were too few holes. It seems after a look at all the others that the Baggage Car chassis has more screw-holes than the rest. I'd have absolutely hated to get several coaches all screwed together before finding that out. :eek::eek:

View attachment 243348

(Quick temporary assembly to see the effect.)
Did you strip off the original paint or just prime straight over it?
If stripped what did you use?
I have 3 bright yellow ones that just have to be painted something more realistic for my railway theme.
Think I will do the strip and put each cars parts in a separate marked bag (eg combine, coach, observation) that stays with the car as it goes through the reno process.

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
  • Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Beauty thing is, these cars, well the coach and baggage, are dead ringers for some that ran here in NZ.

G-force1

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
  • G-force1

G-force1

Did you strip off the original paint or just prime straight over it?
If stripped what did you use?
I have 3 bright yellow ones that just have to be painted something more realistic for my railway theme.
Think I will do the strip and put each cars parts in a separate marked bag (eg combine, coach, observation) that stays with the car as it goes through the reno process.
I had two yellow ones as well! I stripped them down and put the parts into the dishwasher, then all I did was give them a light but thorough rub down with 600 grit W&D. The plastic primer seemed to be well adhered so I'm not expecting problems, but only time will tell. I did put most small parts in tubs, but there's always something that get moved or left out when a project takes this long. The baggage car had previously been repainted (not very well), that took a bit more care, but looks fine. Transfers I just rubbed off with the W&D.

105965_ae521711beb23a52fc2c5ea17f0679af.jpg