Bachmann Gandy Dancer.

Fairlie

Registered
22 Jun 2011
Shropshire
Best answers
I'm thinking of buying one of these secondhand to keep visiting children happy. Are there any defects/problems I should be looking out for?

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I had one and the main problems were its lightness and tiny wheelbase meaning stuttery electrical pickup. I put some lead flashing under the body of the motorised truck plus some on top folded and flattened to look like a tarp. This made it run better but even so I would only run it for a couple of laps as the mechanism doesn't look like it will stand constant use. Another major problem is their delicacy, bits (accessories) constantly fell off and had to be re-glued, they certainly will not put up with being handled by children.
I sold mine because of the above reasons, and to be honest I think they are overpriced for what they are. How about an eggliner instead?

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
Or the LGB version?

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
Like this but probably difficult to get
6464533_1_m.jpg

nimbus

Registered
23 Dec 2009
Best answers
Make one using IP Engineering budget chassis, if they are not around anymore. Be a nice little project, even get the kids involved.
Cheers, good luck.

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Instead of a Gandy Dancer have you considered the Lionel Disney Handcarts ?

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
They are not suitable for children or
even adults with heavy fingers :thumbdown:.

They are quite fragile/delicate as has been said above.

Even the coupling between the trail/front unit is a bit fiddly.
has to be coupled before you even put it on track.
Honest if you really wan't one of these buy it new or from
someone you really trust, or one you know the history of,
it's well worth it, if you really really wan't one :D

Can be got for not a lot more than the e-bay one shown above
will prob end up at and comes with a gaurantee.

http://www.back2bay6.net/90270/info.php?p=7&cat=91166

That said - on clean track mine will happily run for hours at a nice
steady pace and looks neat :cool:
Does struggle a little on a couple of trailing points and slight grades.
But with a little added weight (only a little), will just about cope.
Don't add too much extra though as the mechanism is quite delicate
( don't ask how i know this :crying: )
An Egg Liner (quirky looking thing) certainly might be better option for
children :thinking:
but then they also need good clean track, esp after a few miles on the
clock (wheels) :rolleyes:.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I'd go with the LGB version. The Bachmann model suffers from split drive gears rather readily. If you decide on the Bachmann, try to fit it with batteries. It will run much smoother.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I have one and I keep it lubricated. Its permanently coupled and the "trailed truck" is electrically connected to the pump car. I just used some brass wire to "wipe" the back of the wheels (near the wheel centre to reduce friction) and connected two wires from them to the powered car. I got the idea from a book edited by Tag Gorton and it really is effective!

I have an engine shed on my trailer layout with the gandy inside and, inbetween trains, let it do a couple of circuits (much to the delight and fascination of onlookers).

c86edb718c484406a4a0f2fc286e86dc.jpg

Its in the trailer at the moment, but when its out next (22nd of this month) I'll try to remember to take a pic.

Its a great piece of kit - far superior in appearance to any other version - and I have no problems with it at all. Mind you, I don't flog it to death either!

But , as has been said, its not really for kids to handle and it if S/H it may have gear defects.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
If you decide on the Bachmann, try to fit it with batteries.
And just where precisely would you hide the batteries? On second thoughts don't be too precise, this is a family forum. :rofl:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I know the last post from Puggy was mostly a joke, but to answer it seriously for anyone who actually wants to do it - I guess they'd have to go in a dummy crate or under a tarp on the trailer car, in place of the various tools and gubbins which could be relocated to places around the deck of the pump car...?

Jon.

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
"And just where precisely would you hide the batteries? On second thoughts don't be too precise, this is a family forum" :rofl:

Many years ago my youngest son had a talking parrot toy of French manufacture..... the batteries were inserted into a compartment at the back/bottom of the creature.... clearly labelled for the purpose in French...... ( the French word for batteries is Piles !!!! )

True - we've still got it ! :clown:

Rob

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
I know the last post from Puggy was mostly a joke, but to answer it seriously for anyone who actually wants to do it - I guess they'd have to go in a dummy crate or under a tarp on the trailer car, in place of the various tools and gubbins which could be relocated to places around the deck of the pump car...?
Jon.
Okay, it is feasible but the added weight isn't going to do those plastic cogs any good. Too much faffing about for something that isn't supposed to be taken seriously.
Eggliners? Seriously? :confused:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Managed to find the box with the Gandy Dancer in - a couple of pics. The brass wires just rub on the axles - I think the wheels are the same as used on Big H pony trucks - a loop in the wire, a small self-tapper, the connector wires also secured same way.
A little Miliput holds the wires in the drawbar. Not elegant but simple and it works well.

d018355bf7404b0192e2fe61cad2deb9.jpg

d182a543435c4d159d6ae517ea521b93.jpg

Soz for poor quality pictures - even with a good camera I make an Instamatic look top of the :rofl:range

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well there you go - almost identical solution to pick-up mods:clap:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I had always wondered where the description Gandy Dancer came from assuming it had something to do with the motion of pumping the handles. No!
Apparently the railroad work tools were made by a company called Gandy and the name referred to the workers manoeuvres as track was re-aligned.
An example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1O2X890tig&feature=related < Link To http://www.youtube.com/wa...ig&feature=related

Fairlie

Registered
22 Jun 2011
Shropshire
Best answers
Thanks everyone. Plenty of ideas there. Family still seem to want one, so thanks Rob, I have ordered the Back2bay6 one, and, as you say, will have a guarantee.

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Fairlie said:
Thanks everyone. Plenty of ideas there. Family still seem to want one, so thanks Rob, I have ordered the Back2bay6 one, and, as you say, will have a guarantee.

Way to go :cool: you saved me some dosh there, as i was very tempted
for that price :clap::clap::clap: :D:D:D

Run it in (on clean track) without the trailer on it at first, i found that the
drive can be a little stiff and lumpy to start with, but after about 10/20mins it settles down nicely.
I did find that one of the very small screws on the under side of the power car
wasn't bedded in properly on one i bought and one a mate bought at the same time.
Prob just a glich on the assembly line, 1/2 turn sorted it out.