G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I repainted my Bachmann coaches, originally they were a gawdy canary yellow that just did not please my eye so I repainted them to a colour more attune to Australian rolling stock.
These carriages are pulled by an LGB loco that I painted blue similar to a loco known as the "Blue Baby" that is at the "Ipswich Railway Workshops" in Australia.
Bit of "dirt" added to steps and verandahs plus a dusting of Matt Black on the roofs.

Carriage after repaint.JPGCombine after repaint.JPGObservation after repaint.JPGPeanuts and Combine close up.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
There's another thread titled "how to paint over a gap", is there some relationship here? :p

When I painted my house and the front fence there was a lot of paint over the GAP :giggle::giggle:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This is what the coaches started out, safety yellow is good on locos but on coaches welll Hmmmm!

View attachment 264391
Probably one of the most inappropriate colours for use behind Steam Locomotives, but it is prototypical and the Durango & Silvertown have many vehicles in this livery today.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I repainted my Bachmann coaches, originally they were a gawdy canary yellow that just did not please my eye so I repainted them to a colour more attune to Australian rolling stock.
These carriages are pulled by an LGB loco that I painted blue similar to a loco known as the "Blue Baby" that is at the "Ipswich Railway Workshops" in Australia.
Bit of "dirt" added to steps and verandahs plus a dusting of Matt Black on the roofs.

View attachment 264384View attachment 264385View attachment 264386View attachment 264387
Much more sophisticated!

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Probably one of the most inappropriate colours for use behind Steam Locomotives, but it is prototypical and the Durango & Silvertown have many vehicles in this livery today.
And don't forget Union Pacific's passenger cars in yellow.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I had no big concern with the yellow colour of the cars, knowing that they were a prototypical colour for the road name they carried. I did feel that as my line is a, for the most part, a freight line and the only passenger cars would be a special or a combine added to a short freight train then they would look better with the lines name and a new livery. The livery is based on that of the erstwhile Milwaukee Road.ONF RR1 001.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think it was the Nevada Central that settled on a sort of cream colour for their coaches - so that they wouldn't show the dust :D:D

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
I have recently been re-liverying (good word there, I fancy) a couple of Bachmann coaches, but find great difficulty replacing the glazing. I am tempted to remove quantities of plastic from around the edges of the strips, and even wondered about separating the individual windows. Anyone suffered, and solved, this problem?

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know how the glazing is done on Bachmann coaches, on LGB the glazing has frames moulded on. As I wanted to completely alter the windows, I removed the LGB glazing, which I found the be 1.5mm thick. Having altered, reframed, painted the window frames, the coach was re-glazed with 1.5mm clear plastic sheet (good old Ebay), cut to the size/shape of the original LGB gazing. All glazing is held in place using silicon glue so that the gazing can be easily removed if future needs arise.

dig 180219003.JPG

David

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know how the glazing is done on Bachmann coaches, on LGB the glazing has frames moulded on. As I wanted to completely alter the windows, I removed the LGB glazing, which I found the be 1.5mm thick. Having altered, reframed, painted the window frames, the coach was re-glazed with 1.5mm clear plastic sheet (good old Ebay), cut to the size/shape of the original LGB gazing. All glazing is held in place using silicon glue so that the gazing can be easily removed if future needs arise.
View attachment 268074

David
Bachmann glazing consists of two lengths of substantial clear plastic, one for each side, moulded so that they project appropriately into the window apertures, with a similar depth inside the coach so the strips are quite thick. They fit very tightly, lengthwise, between the coach ends, and should fit into slotted projections at the top of the coach sides. There are different projections that the glazing sits on, not held very well. Incidentally, and inexplicably, there is no glazing provided for the windows in the end doors. I should perhaps mention that one of the two glazing strips incorporates an “obscured” pane to fit at the coach end where the w.c. is located. It’s the upper internal projections which cause me the problem.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I have recently been re-liverying (good word there, I fancy) a couple of Bachmann coaches, but find great difficulty replacing the glazing. I am tempted to remove quantities of plastic from around the edges of the strips, and even wondered about separating the individual windows. Anyone suffered, and solved, this problem?

The glazing on the subject coaches I repainted was removed by sliding a chisel bladed exacto knife to cut the glue (was hot melt type) and then I just removed it.
The window frames were molded into the bodywork and the glazing shaped to fit into the frames, I just kept the glazing with the coach it came out of and used hot melt to put it back where it came from.
As the glazing was cloudy I did consider replacing it and the way I would have done it was to put a strip of clear material (I use the clear plastic that is used to cover printed reports) and glued around the frame. I didn't replace it and explained the cloudiness away as window tinting because the railway is in Australia.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Bachmann glazing consists of two lengths of substantial clear plastic, one for each side, moulded so that they project appropriately into the window apertures, with a similar depth inside the coach so the strips are quite thick. They fit very tightly, lengthwise, between the coach ends, and should fit into slotted projections at the top of the coach sides. There are different projections that the glazing sits on, not held very well. Incidentally, and inexplicably, there is no glazing provided for the windows in the end doors. I should perhaps mention that one of the two glazing strips incorporates an “obscured” pane to fit at the coach end where the w.c. is located. It’s the upper internal projections which cause me the problem.

That sounds pretty much identical to LGB. For the obscure glass in WCs, etc, I just mask off the area i don't want to accidentally scratch, then sand the inside surface to make it opaque.

dig 190215003.JPG

David

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Following your lead I’ve used hot glue and lots of clamps - seems to have succeeded. Thanks for the tip.
The glazing on the subject coaches I repainted was removed by sliding a chisel bladed exacto knife to cut the glue (was hot melt type) and then I just removed it.
The window frames were molded into the bodywork and the glazing shaped to fit into the frames, I just kept the glazing with the coach it came out of and used hot melt to put it back where it came from.
As the glazing was cloudy I did consider replacing it and the way I would have done it was to put a strip of clear material (I use the clear plastic that is used to cover printed reports) and glued around the frame. I didn't replace it and explained the cloudiness away as window tinting because the railway is in Australia.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Painted mine, LGB' in remembrance of the old Orange Blossom Special just brightened the greens up a little, and since the picture was taken I have added a combine, BillMB complete 2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Not known for their muted colours then the American railways?

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Southern Pacific`s Daylight springs to mind and not forgetting the Rio Grande and the bumble bee livery;)

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Bachmann glaze fits under "LUGS" at top of the car body to hold the top of the glass in and should then match with the window openings,a couple of dabs of uhu will hold the bottom in( NO SUPER GLUE) and the seating once back in the car will hold it all in place,or, remove the factory glaze and replace it with clear styrene sheet,bachmann plastic should take polystyrene cement without any problem(been there and got the T shirt);)