Bachmann coach lighting

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hello!

I have some very early Bachmann coaches and seen some wonderful examples of coach lighting on these forums.

I have improved the overall functionality of the lighting which I am happy with, but still get a poor glow through the plastic sides which lets the appearance down somewhat. I am using 12v LED warm light bulbs with a 9v battery. May I ask what others have done to prevent the light spilling through? I would guess at painting, but I am concerned that it may damage the plastic - or just make a total mess!

Thanks in advance!1.jpg2.jpg

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi
Model enamel paint (Humbrol, Revell, Tamiya etc.) is perfectly fine and will do the job if applied uniformly.
Or you could get a sheep of thin styrene and cit strips to apply to the sides below the window line.
I have done both.

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thats really helpful Mike thank you. Have I understood correctly that you have painted above the window line, and used sheet below?

If so, may I ask what colour paint you have used along with colour and thickness of the styrene? Did you use a special glue to stick the styrene?

Finally, did you take the windows out first?

Apologies for all the questions!

Thanks

Last edited:

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I dismantled the coach and took the windows out for the painting of the inside of the side panels.
When using styrene I used white painted with the colour of choice. I did also use black but had to use two coats of paint to give the interior effect that I wanted.
I used a couple of different browns mixed on the brush to give a wood effect.

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
That's great Mike - thank you.

I don't suppose you remember what thickness styrene you used?

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I used what I had to hand at the time but it would have been 0.25mm or 0.5mm

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Dismantle the coach, spray inside with Halfords Matt Black Undercoat then Brown. This will stop your problems but you will need to also be very careful to properly seal the windows, use Tape outside then maskol inside to properly seal the joints.

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Dunnyrail. I've never heard of Maskol before, but YouTube soon fixed that! May I ask where abouts you would apply it? Carefully around the frame on the inside - the idea being to stop runs? Exactly which brown would you use?

Any other painting tips would be welcomed as I've never done anything like that before!

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Any other painting tips would be welcomed as I've never done anything like that before!
Practice! Remember that, like everything,you're not born with skills you have to learn them. Take your time, the coach will last a long time so there's no rush. Use the best paints etc you can afford. And don't forget that from normal viewing distance, the odd small splodge probably wont show.
And remember that the brilliant models that people produce on this forum have only been possible after the creator has had a lot practice, and will they'll probably admit to making some horrors on the way..

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Dismantle the coach, spray inside with Halfords Matt Black Undercoat then Brown. This will stop your problems but you will need to also be very careful to properly seal the windows, use Tape outside then maskol inside to properly seal the joints.
Thank you for this. I have had a look on the Halfords site, but can't see any matt undercoat as such. I did find this - Halfords Matt BLACK Spray 300ml | Halfords UK Would that be acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Undercoat bis normally matt, although using the normal paint for plastic should be fine.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah spraying is good and quick (once the prep is done), but I tend to like to use the brush and then I don't have to mask etc and I can get the 'wood grain effect' by mixing on the brush.
You also have more control with a brush.

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
It may help by reducing the brightness of the lighting, I doubt that even with modern day coaches that it would be that bright inside!
Try adding some series diodes to drop the voltage from 9 down to 7..each diode will drop 0.7 volts.
Or change the battery from a 9 volt to 4 x 1.5 volts

Some Newqida coaches are just as translucent.

Malcolm

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Haven't messed with Bachmann's except to make a dinner and it and my LGB coaches all have had the insides painted as well as the outsides and this seems to cure the problem

Attachments

• lighting a coach 7 all lit.JPG
    lighting a coach 7 all lit.JPG
    509.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
One more query before I take the plunge...any tips on how to remove the windows without cracking the "glass"?!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
One more query before I take the plunge...any tips on how to remove the windows without cracking the "glass"?!
If they are Bachmann, they should not be glued in but held by other components, however if they are second hand (as mine were) then who knows, as you will not know what adhesive was used.

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Just a note to say thank you to everyone that offered much needed assistance and guidance on this. Its all done, and I am really happy with the result! Thanks!20201025_175151.jpg

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
I followed this thread when it was posted last fall and I’m still curious which of the suggestions you followed. Paint, plasti-card, or dimmer lights?
Edgar

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hello - I actually ended up painting as kindly suggested above. I used the spray paint and Maskol as recommended. As with most things, the prep took longer than everything else but in my opinion was worth it! Hardly any paint came through, and any that did was just carefully scraped off. I'll upload some photos...