Bachmann C-19 decoders

What is the best decoder for a Bachmann C-19?

• Zimo MX697

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESU LokSound 5 XL

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Tsunami 4400 or BLU 4408

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nymark

Registered
18 Mar 2021
santa rosa ca.
Best answers
Country flag
After being out of the hobby a couple of years, I am looking for suggestions for a sound decoder. I have a Bachmann C-19 and bought a Phoenix sound decoder for it. The decoder failed and does not produce sound but does still control the motor. You may know that Phoenix has failed to answer messages, fix their decoders, or back up their product. So I am looking to replace it with a different manufacturer. I wanted a Zimo MX697 and contacted Train Li, but they are out of stock with no plans to get any more. Does anyone know another dealer or where I can get this decoder? Another choice is ESU LokSound 5XL. This may be a good second choice but is not plug and play like the Zimo, requiring a harness that came with the engine, I am guessing. I'm pretty sure I could put a Tsunami 4400 or BLU-4408 in it and these are readily available but might not be as good. I do have a 4400 in my Connie, and it works well. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks, Phil Nymark

Edit: I run my track on an NCE 10 amp system.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
After being out of the hobby a couple of years, I am looking for suggestions for a sound decoder. I have a Bachmann C-19 and bought a Phoenix sound decoder for it. The decoder failed and does not produce sound but does still control the motor. You may know that Phoenix has failed to answer messages, fix their decoders, or back up their product. So I am looking to replace it with a different manufacturer. I wanted a Zimo MX697 and contacted Train Li, but they are out of stock with no plans to get any more. Does anyone know another dealer or where I can get this decoder? Another choice is ESU LokSound 5XL. This may be a good second choice but is not plug and play like the Zimo, requiring a harness that came with the engine, I am guessing. I'm pretty sure I could put a Tsunami 4400 or BLU-4408 in it and these are readily available but might not be as good. I do have a 4400 in my Connie, and it works well. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks, Phil Nymark
If you are not keen on fitting a new decoder a My Loco Sound sound only card should be possible. But calling things like whistles etc may be a bit tricky. Link below shows simple DCC setup.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You don't tell us what make of Central Station, or other decoders you have?

Sticking with the same manufacturer for both CS and decoder, is no bad thing.

PhilP

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Why not use the Zimo MX699 which has supercaps on the board.

Reactions: 1 user

nymark

Registered
18 Mar 2021
santa rosa ca.
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for this suggestion. I will look for this but I am having trouble finding any Zimo decoders. I wanted the Zimo MX697 because it plugs right into the Bachmann plug and play socket.

nymark

Registered
18 Mar 2021
santa rosa ca.
Best answers
Country flag
You don't tell us what make of Central Station, or other decoders you have?

Sticking with the same manufacturer for both CS and decoder, is no bad thing.

PhilP
Thanks for pointing this out. I run my engines on an NCE 10 amp system (and edited to show this in my post).

nymark

Registered
18 Mar 2021
santa rosa ca.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dan, Train Li has this decoder and I am thinking I will buy it for my Bachmann C-19. Thanks very much for the suggestion. I bought an MX697 for my Bachmann 4-6-0 and it is a great decoder so I like Zimo a lot. Can you tell me what "supercaps" are?
Very much appreciated! Phil Nymark

Edit: I found out what supercaps are...
Edit: 11/22/2023. I bought a Soundtraxx for now. If the Zimo comes up for sale again, I might get it as the one I have in my ten wheeler is really good.

Last edited: