Bachmann Annie chassis installed

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I did state it was a long time ago. The first metal side rodded ones were Spectrum, in the fancy double red box with no window. Years ago it was $300 which was a hefty sum. The brick and mortar store I bought it from is out of business... I believe it was in the 2000 time frame roughly, maybe a few years later... I sold it in 2009 I see, and I found the emails referring to it as the "real spectrum model, not the big hauler"

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I did state it was a long time ago. The first metal side rodded ones were Spectrum, in the fancy double red box with no window. Years ago it was $300 which was a hefty sum. The brick and mortar store I bought it from is out of business... I believe it was in the 2000 time frame roughly, maybe a few years later... I sold it in 2009 I see, and I found the emails referring to it as the "real spectrum model, not the big hauler"

Do you think there are any differences between the Spectrum 4-6-0 and the Anniversary 4-6-0? I bought a few of them a only few years after 2000 during the CLOSE OUT SALE days when they were going for $120 a pop.
Bachmann are still selling standard and Anniversary chassis for only $45. I think there was a period when the new metal geared chassis were $100 but no more. I wish I got some of those then. I never thought they would suddenly stop making them.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I paid way too much, trying to help a brick and mortar store... I did the same with rolling stock, only to return a month later, and the "holes" in the shelves caused by my purchases were still there.

I believe that Spectrum had a bit more detail than the Anniversary, but it was most likely the same chassis. They stopped the Spectrum name I believe on this model.

I'm not clear on the metal chassis vs. the standard and Anniversary chassis... the chassis you see is metal I believe.

Greg

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
What was a little bit surprising to me after I received my SPC engine, is that there were (!) two kinds of 4 6 0 , some with walschaert valve and some without ( my SPC one for example) .
I did not noticed this difference.
I don't know the reason for that difference.
Apparently it is not prototypical , only a Bachmann choice.
I am not an expert on steam engines. I was even wondering if such design would exist and work properly.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I'm fairly certain the metal rod chassis is the Anniversary chassis. Perhaps it is the same as the Spectrum chassis. The plastic rod chassis is the standard Big Hauler chassis. Strange how they relegated the Anniversary to the Big Hauler name as I felt it was on a similar level of quality as the Spectrum Shay and climax that were out at the time. Maybe, as you said they had a little less detail. I'm not sure what that could be. The Anniversary had metal pipes, bell, whistle, stanchions, hand rails and back head detail.
The chassis you pictured is the metal rod chassis with the plastic front pilot. The latest metal geared and metal rod chassis had an improved metal front pilot.
Bachmann did a few odd things though. The first Lyn was in 1:22.5 roughly and marked as Spectrum but the later improved Lyn same scale with metal drive gears was marked as Big Hauler. Go figure. :think:

Last edited:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
What was a little bit surprising to me after I received my SPC engine, is that there were (!) two kinds of 4 6 0 , some with walschaert valve and some without ( my SPC one for example) .
I did not noticed this difference.
I don't know the reason for that difference.
Apparently it is not prototypical , only a Bachmann choice.
I am not an expert on steam engines. I was even wondering if such design would exist and work properly.

The DRG wood burner version had the simpler valve set-up too. I have both SPC and DRG. Also a ETWNC with Walschaerts. Yeah I had to have another look. Although advertised as such, It is not actually a Stephenson's valve gear. The valve gear is non existent! There is nothing coming out of the valve chest. :nerd:
There isn't necessarily much to Stephenson's valve gear that is visible. Mainly a rod out of the steam/valve chest going onto a lever that pivots the unseen between the frames. Easy to add if you want to make it close to correct. As far as those particular railroads having such engines, that is all just Bachmann's creative licence. The Anniversary 4-6-0 is a close copy of the ET&WNC No 12 in 1:22.5 scale.

ET&WNC12_08.jpg

Last edited: