Bachmann analogue sound board on eBay

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You would be better with a Massoth S decoder (just sound) rather than a full motor/sound decoder, though I guess you are doing this for ease of conversion?

There would be a number of ways this could be wired:
Output of your Rx66a to the track-inputs of the XLS, and let the decoder do 'everything else'
Battery to decoder (gives sounds when loco stationary) and use ESC on the Rx66a for motor control.

You need to have think how 'hands-on' you wish to be within the loco? - It is certianly possible to use the two trigger inputs of the decoder to allow the Rx66a to trigger two of the sounds.

PhilP.

AndyA

Registered
28 Jun 2016
Swindon
Best answers
Country flag
I was hoping to use the existing sound card as it was already in the loco. Are you saying that the output on the Rx66 can be used to run the loco and sound card, without the massoth motor outputs being used?

Andy

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Andy,
There are a number of ways of 'skinning this cat', but basically 'yes' (with a few caveat's)..

I am 'out of the office' today, but am sure others will comment, whilst I am away? :)

I will see what others have posted, this evening, and either comment or add new content, as appropriate.

PhilP.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I have both Rx 65 and 66, and with the correct wiring you can (easily) control up to 4 sounds, and I am sure with the correct expertises more. Take a look at both the Deltang site and My Loco Sound (MLS) site for a fuller explanation.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 271492

Probably not the best photo sorry. (Ignore the horrible green and yellow tape, this was before I discovered heat shrink.)
But here is one I was given from a bachmann Big hauler.
Had it for a few years, but then swapped it out recent for a different sound unit to get more features.

Basically looks the same, except your Speaker wires are red and 'grey'?
(where as mine are green and brown for some reason, can't remember why.....)

The other green and Brown wire connect to the 9 Volt battery.
Green + (plus)
Brown - (negative)

The Black and red wire (on mine) connected to a reed and magnets switch to activate the chuffs.
Got the sound card today, still waiting for the reed switches, it looks like one of the ”chuff” wires goes to negative side of battery, the other to the switch/volume, all of the wire colours are different, presumably because it‘s the new version. It also came with two wired plugs, one marked lights, the other not! Waiting to hear from Australia before I destroy it :cry::cry:. Only joking.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Got the sound card today, still waiting for the reed switches, it looks like one of the ”chuff” wires goes to negative side of battery, the other to the switch/volume, all of the wire colours are different, presumably because it‘s the new version. It also came with two wired plugs, one marked lights, the other not! Waiting to hear from Australia before I destroy it :cry::cry:. Only joking.
I do have a couple of piccies of these things, so that I could work out the wiring - if you're still stuck and Oz is dead, let me know, I'm pretty certain I can work it out :worried::worried:

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
I do have a couple of piccies of these things, so that I could work out the wiring - if you're still stuck and Oz is dead, let me know, I'm pretty certain I can work it out :worried::worried:
All pictures gracefully received, think Australia is ahead of us time wise, so he has probably gone to bed! Very inconsiderate :D:D:D

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like you have an Anniversary version.

Sadly I don't have one of those to compare.
If you show a picture, I should be able to tell what t do.

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Judging from the photos, Portsladepete sent me.
Here is how it should be wired up.

Feel free for anyone to correct me.

Attachments

• wiring chuff.jpg
    wiring chuff.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
All pictures gracefully received, think Australia is ahead of us time wise, so he has probably gone to bed! Very inconsiderate :D:D:D
Judging from the photos, Portsladepete sent me.
Here is how it should be wired up.

Feel free for anyone to correct me.
That's how it goes - the wiring can look more complex if the pot, which also acts as an on/off switch is removed. It's best to keep it attached anyway purely as an on/off - you'll need it at max volume if you're outside in the garden.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
That's how it goes - the wiring can look more complex if the pot, which also acts as an on/off switch is removed. It's best to keep it attached anyway purely as an on/off - you'll need it at max volume if you're outside in the garden.
Thanks gentlemen, I shall definitely keep my pot! My garden and layout are both small, so it should be fine. So glad I found this site!

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Reed switches etc came today, fitted to an open wagon, using deodorant top for speaker housing, and making covered load from Mod Roc, sound works fine, this way switch can be easily accessible, and the wagon is a bit beaten up anyway.
Thanks for your advice lads

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Well, my big hauler sound board died horribly today, merrily chuffing around, and then.......what sounded like a small wounded animal noise emanated, I checked for small wounded animals ,battery and speaker. Then noticed a white wire going to the switch had detached, metaphorically patting my self on the back, I duly reattached it, then....... the death throes noise again.
I’m not going to replace it, the wagon is back to original, but as this sound card seems to be a throwaway item for some, I would gratefully receive one if you can’t bear it any more!:cry::cry::cry: