Bachmann 2-8-0 Sound & LGB Diesel Sound

White Pass

Registered
28 Dec 2009
Maghull, Liverpool
Best answers
Bit new to all this so please accept I know and understand little. Having recently purchased a Bachmann 2-8-0 WP&Y Loco I want to install sound in it. Bearing in mind my limited electrical abilities (almost nothing!) how should I proceed, using which sound producing method? By the way the same query relates to a WP&Y LGB diesel that I have bought i.e. what type of sound can I fit with little ability? Oh, and I don't use digital control/power.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
White Pass said:
Bit new to all this so please accept I know and understand little. Having recently purchased a Bachmann 2-8-0 WP&Y Loco I want to install sound in it. Bearing in mind my limited electrical abilities (almost nothing!) how should I proceed, using which sound producing method? By the way the same query relates to a WP&Y LGB diesel that I have bought i.e. what type of sound can I fit with little ability? Oh, and I don't use digital control/power.

For your LGB diesel, LGB make a sound module that will work on analogue power, which connects to the motor or track feeds. I have fitted on to a V52 loco, and the Youtube link in my signature has an example of this.

I'm not familiar with Bachmann, but I'm sure others here can recommend a suitable analogue sound card....

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
i have a phoenix-sound in my connie.

in my opinion the soundcards are too expensive for what they can do.....but it works.
The connie should be easier to fit without making it accu-powered Radiocontrolled like i did. Because it was a big action, i changed the whole (bad) wiring in the loco. As fa as i remember, my loco has no more original wire inside.

To get a sound example, search on youtube for "CCRR", there u will find my Garden RR vids. Needs to bring the volume a bit up, my camera gets sounds pretty bad.

Frank

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Have a sound traxx sierra sound unit in my Connie very nice it sounds and works on analogue track voltage :D But they are hard to find got mine from Martins Models i think he still has some in stock .
a8b8978b3fae43059dc0c7812d7ac0e7.jpg

silverflyer

G Scale, Photography,
26 Oct 2009
Harrogate, North Yorkshire
Best answers
Hi White Pass,

Have a look in the sounds section about 4 threads down by moonraker,
his company is mylocosound and he is working on a new sound card that will work from the chuff switch thats built into your connie.
I have used some of his other cards with great success, and they are not that expensive, they come with whistle and bell sounds included, also a diesel sound card you could put in your Alco.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
LGB sound units are list US at $269.
Phoenix is US list at $275.

Both have DCC, however the Phoenix can have any sound loaded and you can control every feature plus have chuff going to a sensor.

Also note that the capacitor storage for LGB is extra $$$ as is the reed triggers.

Phoenix comes with battery, and reed switches, so the LGB costs a lot more!!!!

Zimo in the US is under $200 and has decoder, loadable sound and 5 amp motor plus light and smoke control!!!!!!