Automobilia - Moving cars for your railway

MaximDeDonder

Registered
24 Apr 2018
Lokeren
Best answers
Country flag
Today I finally got the last pieces for my Automobilia layout.

Automobilia is a system like the Faller Car System, cars follow a metal cable in the road.

Manufactured by Ed's Garten Bahn (Netherlands)

Enjoy!

Greetings

Maxim (from Belgium)

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting concept Maxim. Are the vehicles die-cast or plastic? I have a box full of Welly & Burago I could convert - if I had enough time!!!

MaximDeDonder

Registered
24 Apr 2018
Lokeren
Best answers
Country flag
These are in fact Welly cars, so die-cast. ;)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
These are in fact Welly cars, so die-cast. ;)
We used the Faller System on my mates HO exhibition Layout. Always a couple of vehicles being charged up with control Stop places to stock Crashes. No problems getting them to run over a 2 day Show. How long does yours run for?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, what a disappointment, the van couldn't even hit that pedestrian :devil::devil::devil::devil:

Ed de Bruijn

Registered
7 Sep 2017
Bussum, The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Maxim, thank you for the post!

AutoMobilia has been on the market for 3,5 years now. We use standard diecast cars from various brands (MotorMax, Welly, Bburago etc.) and provide these with a new taylor-made bottom with battery, Arduino for control purposes and IR receivers for stopping. The cars drive about 4 hours on a single charge and when the battery level is getting low the Arduino will start beeping, telling you it's time to charge. This takes about 45 minutes, depending on the state of the battery. The cars are developed as a self running scenery that need little attention: the trains are the main focus. With the infra red control however, it is possible to set up a controlled layout including traffic lights, switches and rail crossings.

Maxim has been developing his car to make it suitable for various functions. We have a regular contact and exchange ideas in both ways. It's always a pleasure to do joint-efforts on development like this, it keeps you awake and in the right direction.

More information can be found on the website: www.edgb.nl and the webshop: www.webshop.edgb.nl

if you have any question: please contact me via email or DM.

cheers,

Ed

Reactions: 1 users

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
The cars drive about 4 hours on a single charge and when the battery level is getting low the Arduino will start beeping, telling you it's time to charge. This takes about 45 minutes, depending on the state of the battery.
It would be nice if instead of beeping, the car would just set a new course to drive to the gas-station/charging-station and fill up.

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It would be interesting to know which has the most processing power? :):nerd:;)

Ed de Bruijn

Registered
7 Sep 2017
Bussum, The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
<fun mode on> We've been working on Wireless transfer of electricity, but that just won't work yet. <fun mode off>

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Today I finally got the last pieces for my Automobilia layout.

Automobilia is a system like the Faller Car System, cars follow a metal cable in the road.

Manufactured by Ed's Garten Bahn (Netherlands)

Enjoy!

Greetings

Maxim (from Belgium)

Wow ! I've wanted a Faller Car System for large scale, forever. Can you go into more detail about where to buy the parts and vehicles ?

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
<fun mode on> We've been working on Wireless transfer of electricity, but that just won't work yet. <fun mode off>
I'd imagine you could just have some pickups at a gas/charging station that reach up to contacts on the car.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm, 2-300.00 Euros. Probably well worth the expense but I need to do some more thinking. It's headache time when that happens.....:banghead:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

Well, it works just fine on my iPhone.....? ;)

So, maybe a wireless phone charger pad embedded in the road surface at the "filling station", plus whatever induction doohickey they put in the phones, mounted really low on the vehicle chassis to pick up the Magick Waves from the pad....?
Note that I'm not being 100% serious here, the costs and practicality probably makes it prohibitive at the moment - but just pointing out that the tech is there!

Jon.

Ed de Bruijn

Registered
7 Sep 2017
Bussum, The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Well, we've done a test in that direction. Unfortunately the distance between the road and the carbottom has to be almost zero. Keep in mind there are also trucks available. So we thought about a double floor rising from the road under the car but that gave other problems. And we're using batteries with 2 cells so you'll need 2 charger pads. With no room at the bottom....

At this moment a special road is under development were the car drives into a V shaped trap with conductors on both sides of the arm with the magnet. The third connecting point is at the bottom of the car.

But you will still have to guide the car via a switch to this charging station. That's still not what was mentioned: in stead of beeping choosing a route to....

We've already done some very interesting items: a set of train carriages on which a maximum of 4 cars can be driven around, including the loading an unloading process (Autoverlad with RhB or FO example), a turntable (that you can build in a garage for example) and much more.

Cheers

Ed

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Ed,
Do you offer a generic kit, to convert a customers own vehicles, or would the model have to come to you for fitting?
Thanks,
PhilP (Phil)

Ed de Bruijn

Registered
7 Sep 2017
Bussum, The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Phil,

I don't have a generic kit because every car needs (and gets) a different bottom. When you have a specific wish you can send the car in and I'll convert it. But first I need a picture and/or the brand/model of the car. When the specific model can still be bought I might take it in my catalog.

Ed

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Ed, I recently bought a Road Signature 1:24 Trabant diecast - it's quite small, but of course it's such an iconic vehicle for the period and location of a lot of LGB stock - is that one that you've tried to do?

Jon.