Automating semophore signals

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, just a quick plea for some advise. I have an LGB semaphore signal with the motorised base and some LGB track contacts, is it ok to wire the contacts straight to the signal motor or will I risk welding the contacts within the reed switch?
I remember seeing a diagram on a leaflet ages ago but cannot remember where. I'll be using the 18v ac power pack as supply and the contacts enclosed diodes to change the signal as the train enters and exits the loop.

Please ignore the attachment, I tried to draw a diagram but it didn't come out well here.
Many thanks in advance, Tim

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
The reed switches can be wired directly to the signal. One to operate the signal and another to reset it.

My line is block signalled & the train puts the signal at stop after it passes it I then resets it once it has passed the next signal, which it operates using another pair of reeds.

The voltage is a bit critical, too low & the signal doesn't operate, too high & the contacts weld. I use a transformer from an LGB train set.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, will play with some various voltages. I may be tempted to make my own contacts as they would be consideribly cheaper than LGB's!