Automatic Panning Camera

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways & more caving. Fan of TTTE
1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.co.uk
Best answers
A number of members mount cameras on trucks to capture 'roof top' or 'driver's eye' views of their railways. On most of the videos I've seen the problem is that the camera is fixed on the truck which is fine on straight track but when the track curves left or right the camera disconcertingly points off to one side. A number of years ago I read an article, it may have been in a G Scale Journal, in which someone had made a camera mount which automatically swung the camera to the left on right hand curves and to the right on left hand curves so that the camera followed the curve. It may have have been operated by the front bogie on a truck. Can anyone recall the article or has anyone got any plans? I would like to make a mount that works in this way.

Keith

penylanpip

Registered
1 Apr 2010
Barry, UK
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Now I have no recollection of the pedigree of this photo, but it has been lurking in my railway folder under 'odds' for some years.
I know I kept it for the very reason that Keith raises; it would seem to solve the problem of looking at the lineside scenery instead of along the track on curves.
If I ever get my track laid, I intend to give it a try-out, but that won't be tomorrow...

camera truck.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Either on LSC or MLS, yes a truck out in front with a lever arm back to the car with the camera, as the front truck moves, the lever arm moves in relation to the camera car and swivels the base.

Greg

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Keith, I remember that article and I must have the mag somewhere, I think the camera base is attached to the rear bogie so that as the truck goes into a left hand bend, the rear of the camera base is moved to the right which makes the camera look left, if that makes sense? . It has been one of my 'to do' projects, ever since I read the article.........but like a lot of things, 'life' got I in the way.
I will have a root around and see if I can locate the mag
Cheers
Dave

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
Well, I have to say I'm really impressed and GSC has come up trumps yet again. What a marvellous community this is!
Enormous thanks to Philip, Greg, Dave and Greg from Downunder for your thoughts photos, videos and the learned paper on the subject.
The video confirms my thoughts that pivoting the camera gives a far superior view of the track ahead and a better overall experience for the viewer.
Lots for me to digest but as soon as I've laid some track on my new railway I will be making a pivoting camera mount to use on the videos I make.
Thanks again. This will save me a lot of what could have been wasted time.

Keith

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg, nice to hear from you again. Super run down on the varying options.Have made a base for my GoPro that fits on one of my long 4 wheel Swiss style log wagons, the cutouts are for the bolsters. I have in the past monkeyed around with steerable contraptions with nit a lot of success but will now have a go at that one of yours, my one should be easy enough to modify and I have 3 suitable bogie flats to use for mounting it.
215C382B-901C-483B-9B37-F900A65FF7F1.jpeg

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Keith, have finally found the issue with the article in it, Garden Rail, June 2005! Took a bit of sorting, if you would like a copy, of the article, if you drop me a pm with your email address, I will scan it and mail it back to you, it's only 3 pages so not difficult to mail
Regards
Dave

Trains and More

Registered
11 Aug 2019
B.C. Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I had designed and build a camera car just like that about 35 years ago. My layout then had tight curves and it bothered me to see the track disappear when the video camera looked straight ahead. I had written a short "How to build a Camera Car" at the time, but it was only for the club news letter. For many years now I am a writer for the Magazine "Gartenbahn Profi". It is a coincidence that I have just written another report on video photography in general, but it deals specifically with such a car that steers the video camera. It appeared in the 3rd issue 2020. The article is in German, as is the magazine, but the pictures are telling the story even if you don"t read German.

Attachments

• 9c.JPG
    9c.JPG
    512.2 KB · Views: 0

Trainman58

When I grow up I want to be Compo- minus the feret
23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Keith, I remember that article and I must have the mag somewhere, I think the camera base is attached to the rear bogie so that as the truck goes into a left hand bend, the rear of the camera base is moved to the right which makes the camera look left, if that makes sense? . It has been one of my 'to do' projects, ever since I read the article.........but like a lot of things, 'life' got I in the way.
I will have a root around and see if I can locate the mag
Cheers
Dave
I have one built by a friend. It is a well wagon and pivots off the back bogie. We weighted the axles to make it a more steady ride and coupled with spring mounts it is very stable. I will try to add some photos of it.

Attachments

• F44FD318-7927-49BB-80A6-ED6D89FCE8B3.jpeg
    F44FD318-7927-49BB-80A6-ED6D89FCE8B3.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1E456EB8-6A32-4A85-A16D-A526E68D0A12.jpeg
    1E456EB8-6A32-4A85-A16D-A526E68D0A12.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 0
  • E556799D-701D-4AB3-8762-E649FE32E58F.jpeg
    E556799D-701D-4AB3-8762-E649FE32E58F.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 4E3CCD25-D020-41BA-8782-6CDD9AC28211.jpeg
    4E3CCD25-D020-41BA-8782-6CDD9AC28211.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 6A474FE1-B9DD-459B-A1E1-806C99F48FE5.jpeg
    6A474FE1-B9DD-459B-A1E1-806C99F48FE5.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 0

Trainman58

When I grow up I want to be Compo- minus the feret
23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I have one built by a friend. It is a well wagon and pivots off the back bogie. We weighted the axles to make it a more steady ride and coupled with spring mounts it is very stable. I will try to add some photos of it.
The camera turns into the curve by a pivot from either direction. Quite a cool piece of apparatus.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Be interesting to see the link for a vid made with that. Y concern with the GoPro? would be it having vision of the wagon ends, but perhaps that is not the case.

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
I was hoping to spend today working on my new garden railway but after an hour or so it rained and rained and rained.

P1060433.jpeg

So I came inside and I made this. It does the job and seems to work perfectly. I will post some video of it in action shortly.

P1060436.jpeg

P1060439.jpeg

P1060437.jpeg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Jimmy B has been working on one recently, and I believe he has all but perfected it :nod::nod:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Jimmy B has been working on one recently, and I believe he has all but perfected it :nod::nod:
Just waiting some fine whether for the final test, but yes mine works.Camera Wagon 23 Complete.jpg

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
Just waiting some fine whether for the final test, but yes mine works.
Likewise. it's pouring again here.