Austrian inspired signal/signage on the EJ&KLR...

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've always wanted to give the EJ&KLR more of a 'model in the garden' feel and part of this is to provide realistic structures and lineside signage.

My early research, scouring photos in my Austrian narrow gauge books for appropriate signals and signs proved fruitless, very few signs were caught in the photos I was using as a guide. It wasn't until I visited Bruce (798.03) and his garden line earlier this year that it came up in conversation again. He shared with me a small book he had sourced on Austrian signalling which had a short chapter on narrow gauge signage. He briefly translated a part, and now I knew what the signs looked like, and roughly what they meant I could start looking on the internet.

A quick trawl turned up this excellent website: http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/railway/germaust.htm < Link To http://mysite.du.edu/~jca.ert/railway/germaust.htm that describes the key signs and their use - which when put together with the track diagrams I'd seen in Bruce's book meant I could put something down on paper for my station.

513e8f9835cd419a982f63ad44b3f8a5.jpg

This first post shows that I've finished the signs and mounted them on BBQ skewers ready for painting. They're 40 thou Plasticard and Slaters 8mm high black letters, and the black lines were drawn with Humbrol satin black with a bow pen and metal rule. I will draw up a track diagram and show where I plan to use these (not quite prototypically but enough for me!) and share that later.

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
That is really neat - love the BBQ skewers :)

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
As promised - something that shows where I plan to use them on the line, now I usually expect to ignore the 'stop and await instructions' boards but when I film it I'll be using them.
e0c55ea806c842908ede2a4422e02aaf.gif

I'm hoping to do some more work on the station this weekend so the signs might not be finished until next week now. The BBQ skewers will be sealed and painted, but I won't leave them planted for long periods as I expect the sunlight will damage the plasticard, let alone wind and animal damage.

vannerley

Dutch trams in 1/24th., Austrian n. g. in 1/43rd.
1 Nov 2009
Herne Bay
Best answers
James - the 'stop and wait instructions' trapeztafel is conditional: if there is no train timetabled to cross a driver can enter on sight. If there is a timetabled crossing the first train timetabled to arrive goes straight in and awaits the arrival of the second - whistle or hooter calls are exchanged and the second train enters the passing loop. Sidings ought to be marked with circular white boards, black edging, which are absolute halt signs, H boards are advisory.

It varied a little from line to line but the uprights are generally painted white with differing black stripes. Trapeztafel and Kreuztafel (the rhomboid fixed distants) have three white diagonal stripes, halt boards plain black.

The other signal you ought to have is the fouling mark in each loop - a 60cm. length of concrete, triangular in section, with black ends. If the line works s.g. wagons on transporters, a second fouling mark with red ends is set in the appropriate place in the ballast.

For completeness, decide which way the line is ploughed in the snow system and add the Raeumarbeit einstellen marker ('stop ploughing sign') before obstructions like points and road crossings; it is a white saltaire cross with black ends on a black pole with three white horizontal stripes. The 'start ploughing again' marker is a white bar, black ends on the same style pole.

Then you can sit back and say that you have complete and fully operational signalling on your line ...

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Points to both of you :)
G scale really is coming of age when it starts to encompass modelling, loads of good examples of that on here, and operation, an occasional but slowly growing aspect, as well as good old playing trains.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Playing trains with scale models in a realistic setting - sounds grand to me.:clap: