Attention all loggers!!! THIS is a log!

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
For logging photos do a web search on Darius Kinsey.
The trees on the north west coast of the US were huge!!!!!!!
Lots of geared locos as well.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Granitechops said:
minimans said:
Where I come from THAT is not a LOG this is a LOG............................................

Apologies to Croc Dundee................

So, why did they drop a tree like that? to form a wind break? to make a bridge? I see there are horses on top of it!!

I doubt there would be a mill with a moving saw bench capable of turning that into planks!!

or would they cut it into 30 ft sections on site, saw it in to quarters or 16ths? & then drag it to the mill
take some horse power to move that
or was it a publicity stunt for bragging rights :rofl: :thumbdown:

Paul, anyone, any ideas???
THAT is a coastal redwood or Sequoia these trees are HUGE and over 5,000 years old at that size, up here in Northern California they are all over the place, mostly replants or shoots from a clearcut logging operation but there are clusters of old growth trees which are truly majestic, I'm not much of a tree lover I think they get in the way of a good view!!

If you want to know more I suggest a Google of California coastal redwoods or sequoia and logging. I'm also a bit of a student of the sailing ship's that used to transfer the cut lumber from the local mills to the city of San Francisco, They were called Dog hole schooner's as the north coast up here is rugged to say the least the little schooner's came into tiny bays and inlets and the lumber was loaded by means of rope and pulley strung across the bay/inlet. and as some one commented earlier that tree was cut down by hand!! and then dragged out to the narrow gauge or flopped into the river to float down............................

This is where we camp sometimes It's all gone now of course but you can follow the old narrow gauge or if you climb the cliffs the giant rings for the loading slings are still in there........

http://casparcommons.org/HHistory.php

8fd456c4985640a49f10318c479d8cb9.jpg

fe6d2da7ea074c9ab7513ea32d241ca1.jpg

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Granitechops said:
ROSS said:
A closer look at that large tree - it seems to have already been sawn and re assembled. Look at the end (right) and the length. There seem to be "plank" lines where they sit on each other.
Could be wrong tho'

Well we were trying to work out how they cut it down, probably started with axes to open up a working slot, but unless you have an enormous wedge opening with that width of trunk, swinging an axe horizontally into a narrow opening would be very tiring & dangerous & uneconomic energy wise, so we thought that they then put wedges in to keep it open & used a long, ( 30ft ? ) 2 handled saw, which would leave those marks on the end, some of which are not parallel.
Whatever, it was a hard slog, & men were either Fit or Dead!

These were tough guys.

Basically to cut these trees you would just use axes and a crosscut saw.
They would hackout an undercut with axes and saw thru the rest.
The loggers would stand on spring boards quite a bit up from the ground level and use a saw just wide enough
to get 1 or 2 feet of movement on the saw.
After felling they would crosscut the trunks into managable lengths.

Pic showing the undercut underway

http://www.krisweb.com/krisbigriver/krisdb/html/krisweb/history/hpbig70tif.jpg

and this is how you move em :D

http://www.fs.fed.us/wildecology/decaid/decaid_background/op_logging_bigload.jpg

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Wow.thanks for those links Allen, very interesting!!

Granitechops

24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Just watched this one again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcEto_Q8MlY
very interesting way of unloading logs at 9.50,
the track alongside the mill pool is on a cant so that when unchained e a man with a pole can push the logs right off the wagons with ease,

has anyone ever modeled this feature?

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Granitechops said:

the track alongside the mill pool is on a cant so that when unchained e a man with a pole can push the logs right off the wagons with ease,

I tried once Don, but I had trouble making a lake that sloped :D:D.

Granitechops

24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
yb281 said:
Granitechops said:

I tried once Don, but I had trouble making a lake that sloped :D:D.
was that a typo Mel, a lake that slopped?? did you see the bow waves, replicate that, now that would be impressive :rofl: :rofl:

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
I have always like the log flumes that were used to get logs down a mountain to the lake. Logs would race down these flumes at incredible speeds. I have been toying with the idea of making one on my layout. Im currently working on my spar tree and high line.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's well worth googling logging railroad pictures; you'll find a bit of everything.

I found a shot somewhere of some very long logs on disconnects that were so long (had been tall) that they possivtiely sagged between the disconnects.

Equally, I think I've said before, some railroads used disconnects exactly as the label says, with the logs joining the trucks, and the roosters used to connect the pairs, other used them the way that we tend to use them in model form, with each pair joined coupling to coupling with a rooster underneath the logs.

I've used mother nature's logs, from different sources - most of 'em are actually twigs, but Holly is quite a good source as it tends to grow straightish, but has a few knots. The first two wagons have Holly logs, the others are bits of Alder & Silver Birch - I've treated them all with Cuprinol, 'cos I don't fancy trolling through the woods for replacement twigs every couple of years :happy::happy:

291ec5ccee7a46d3becdd8f349677158.jpg

robocop1976

Registered
26 Oct 2009
cheshire
Best answers
very impessive train there

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
The search continues!

As the summer creeps slowly towards its close autumn approaches and will be a time for pruning. Look at the possibility of cherry wood. It saws easily, is reasonably hard and keeps it bark for a long time and weather well. I keep a couple of small stacks, lineside, some of which can be used as a load.

Many gardens have flowering cherry trees and often prune them back especially where they overhang a sidewalks/pavements or encroach on a structure.

Alan

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
RegnerFeld2.jpg
ZweiStmme.jpg

Simply use the real thing. If you bake them in the oven, they will get 25% lighter

Stammtransport.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Good logging :clap::clap:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Otter 1 said:
Simply use the real thing. If you bake them in the oven, they will get 25% lighter

Great log cars - wonderful weathering - all make the real logs look real!

Mick