Attention all loggers!!! THIS is a log!

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Trees come in all sizes, there's no scale and the real thing looks soooo much better

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
Makes your eyes water seeing a log that size passing through!

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Where I come from THAT is not a LOG this is a LOG............................................
c8ef94ff4a8f4f10800632373e6f3dc8.jpg

Apologies to Croc Dundee................

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
From my observations most "logs" in road or rail transit today tend to be fairly thin ones. They are grown commercially to provide timber and so don't tend to be overly large. Wagons carrying logs tend to have a large number of thin, shortish logs. Don't know what the situation was back in say the 1920's cos I am much too young :D

I grow my own logs. The Buddleia [STRIKE]weeds [/STRIKE]trees grow nice reasonably sized branches which are fairly straight. I cut these evcery year and then glue them to a lightweight box thingy so what looks like a full load of logs is in fact hollow in the middle. This keeps the weight down.

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 said:
After endless trolling through search engines, I came up with this, the large LIGHTWEIGHT log!!

It is possibly a LITTLE out of scale and depending on your preferences you may find it AWESOME or AWFUL!!!!

Looks like a chocolate swiss roll with escape hatches!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: Alyn

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
55.5 said:
I take it that its a NO vote then?

Absolutely horrible and unrealisistic. Shiny logs are a No No. A quick application of matt varnish might help a little. A quick application of a wheelie bin would help a lot. ( Well. You did ask!)

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Pretty awful to my eye.

I think on average people worry too much about the weight of real wood. Buddliea works well I do that too but so would all sorts of sawn large sticks, and even back in the day they would have moved lumber other than giant sequoias! Unless you are going to use small 1:1 logs then surely weight isn't so much of a problem. In fact it makes a train run more realistically.

My view is I see some lovely railways, beautiful locos and wagons and fake logs ruining the rest of it... but of course rule 8 - I do some pretty wacky things myself...

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
minimans said:
Where I come from THAT is not a LOG this is a LOG............................................
images

So, why did they drop a tree like that? to form a wind break? to make a bridge? I see there are horses on top of it!!

I doubt there would be a mill with a moving saw bench capable of turning that into planks!!

or would they cut it into 30 ft sections on site, saw it in to quarters or 16ths? & then drag it to the mill
take some horse power to move that
or was it a publicity stunt for bragging rights :rofl: :thumbdown:

Paul, anyone, any ideas???

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi so can u able use a tree branches to saw off of yr choices...mine is on the flat load with tree logs..so wud u like to see it?,,,i got them from my area tree branches lying on the ground ..then pick up,take home,,,,measure the lengths of yr choices and then saw off......simple....i know it heavy but it real tree branches tht it come with dark barks,,,,,nice......

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
ROSS said:
A closer look at that large tree - it seems to have already been sawn and re assembled. Look at the end (right) and the length. There seem to be "plank" lines where they sit on each other.
Could be wrong tho'

Well we were trying to work out how they cut it down, probably started with axes to open up a working slot, but unless you have an enormous wedge opening with that width of trunk, swinging an axe horizontally into a narrow opening would be very tiring & dangerous & uneconomic energy wise, so we thought that they then put wedges in to keep it open & used a long, ( 30ft ? ) 2 handled saw, which would leave those marks on the end, some of which are not parallel.
Whatever, it was a hard slog, & men were either Fit or Dead!

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Some weathering technics like painting the bark and adding inkwash over the whole thing and matte coating it could save them. as they are it looks like Roger Rabbit has been logging in "Toontown"

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Here's part of my mostly buddleia sourced log train. The wagons are standard mostly Bachmann flats with ends added. Wouldn't want those logs slipping off would we? Of the 9 wagons I now have 6 are standard, one was a Bachmann oil tanker and 2 are HWL.

6336f9286ee149ba8d36a79d8e70a93d.jpg

As featured in my avatar. They are of course totally wrong for a standard gauge diesel but what the heck - they look ok to me.
ee052c07ae234c31bdbfe4a283639889.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Chris M said:
Here's part of my mostly buddleia sourced log train....

Really looks the part Chris. I also use real branches of various trees suitably cut to size on my flat wagons.

Chris's photo reminds me of the wagons I saw being loaded on the Arosa line earlier this year....

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
To anyone thinking of plastic look no further than chris m's piccie!

Funny i trod (i know clumsy oaf) on a bachmann tanker that is now a flat car stacked with timber...

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
Wow that log looks fake. Logs come in different sizes depending on where they come from. Eastern US the logs tended to be smaller then those out west. Same is true for logs cut in different time periods. Logs tend to be bigger earlier on then today because today is usually second growth. Just use branches from local trees. Anything will work like apple, maple etc.... They dont add that much more weight.

dh8sis.jpg

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
images

Yeah? I reckon that those folk are all g scale with a 20" log! ;)

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
I think any thing that makes a load is ok,

f0f15f89b44744c4ac09928f3bdafc64.jpg

But i must admit some look better than others

1ffe7499116a4512934e7c02701bd044.jpg

So untill i have enough time to do all the things i want to do
any thing goes. (well any thing i can get hold of)

And if any body has any Resin or Plastic logs they don't want
send me a PM i will be happy to accept any type
and happy to pay, i have another 5 log loads to make up
and all the bushes round here have already been stripped of striaght
branches :D

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Shawn said:
Wow that log looks fake. Logs come in different sizes depending on where they come from. Eastern US the logs tended to be smaller then those out west. Same is true for logs cut in different time periods. Logs tend to be bigger earlier on then today because today is usually second growth. Just use branches from local trees. Anything will work like apple, maple etc.... They dont add that much more weight.

dh8sis.jpg

Nice pic, great looking line