Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Look what the postman brought today :D

51c8a7f328ef4c50b0c501cad4a74328.jpg

It's quite a substantial body made out of 4mm ply and has plenty of interior detail. All that detail will all have to be finished properly because it can be seen through those lovely big windows :banghead:

I'll keep you posted...

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Tom keep us posted please on their build, I fancy one or two of those myself.
I have built 3 IP wagons of the earlier type. The end product is v good but they needed a little "adjustment" to assemble. I gather that the new laser cut ones are more accurate.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Yes, the newer laser cut IP coach kits are excellent. The last one I built almost fell together. The only change I make is the wheels, I prefer Bachmanns to those supplied by IP.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out Tom.

philbiddulph

Registered
15 Aug 2010
Best answers
Looks great, I've had my eye on one for a while!

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Hmmmm... :impatient:

Not too impressed at the moment. I might as well give you a 'warts and all' commentry, otherwise it would be a pointless excersise if I just said everything was fine - even though I know that IP will sort my problems out without any fuss.

Start at the beginning:

After taking the above photo I leafed thru the instructions and found a page missing. Phoned IP and asked them if they had it in PDF format that they could e-mail me, rather than send me a bit of paper. No problem, it arrived 2 minutes later.

This evening I read thru said instructions... 'Fit dah-da-da to dah-di-dah' etc. until I reach 'Fit the buffers'. No buffers. That's fine, I'll call them tomorrow and they'll be here next day.

Decided to pop out the side and base panels to get a feel of the thing and found that one end of the base has only been cut half way thru. I needed my band saw to do a neat job to cut it out - this is tough plywood and a standard craft knife wasn't up to it. I'll mention this tommorw when I call them and see what they say.

Anyway, the upside is that it looks like it's going to make up to a substantial model (and I always enjoy a challenge!) :clap:

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Old Tom said:

Not too impressed at the moment. I might as well give you a 'warts and all' commentry, otherwise it would be a pointless excersise if I just said everything was fine - even though I know that IP will sort my problems out without any fuss.

Start at the beginning:

After taking the above photo I leafed thru the instructions and found a page missing. Phoned IP and asked them if they had it in PDF format that they could e-mail me, rather than send me a bit of paper. No problem, it arrived 2 minutes later.

This evening I read thru said instructions... 'Fit dah-da-da to dah-di-dah' etc. until I reach 'Fit the buffers'. No buffers. That's fine, I'll call them tomorrow and they'll be here next day.

Decided to pop out the side and base panels to get a feel of the thing and found that one end of the base has only been cut half way thru. I needed my band saw to do a neat job to cut it out - this is tough plywood and a standard craft knife wasn't up to it. I'll mention this tommorw when I call them and see what they say.

Anyway, the upside is that it looks like it's going to make up to a substantial model (and I always enjoy a challenge!) :clap:

Its great to hear from some one who`s glass is half full:clap:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Old Tom said:

Start at the beginning:

Anyway, the upside is that it looks like it's going to make up to a substantial model (and I always enjoy a challenge!)
Sounds as if you have got the kit normally reserved for me! :clap:
:wave:

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Steve said:

Sadly, my optimistic outlook has been severely dented :crying:

Not only did they not answer my 3 calls today but...

85d2baa4315f424fad9ae4c866ba7ec8.jpg

The above photo shows the two sole bar sheets. Note how one of them has been manually shortened with a standard saw. Presumably somebody put the wrong data into the CNC machine (or, more likely, a batch was done incorrectly so rather than bin them, IP have sent a duff one with a good one hoping that no-one will notice).

I'm not impressed.

I'll try calling again on Monday.... :angry:

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Old Tom said:
Steve said:

Sadly, my optimistic outlook has been severely dented :crying:

Not only did they not answer my 3 calls today but...

images

The above photo shows the two sole bar sheets. Note how one of them has been manually shortened with a standard saw. Presumably somebody put the wrong data into the CNC machine (or, more likely, a batch was done incorrectly so rather than bin them, IP have sent a duff one with a good one hoping that no-one will notice).

I'm not impressed.

I'll try calling again on Monday.... :angry:

I would be inclined to parcel the lot up, return it and ask for a new, perfect and complete kit or my money back.

johnslocos

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Tom
I think you will find the reason for your call not being answered is that Ivan was on his way to the Exeter show today. He was also going to visit his mother in Hertfordshire, on the way, who is terminally ill. He should be back at work Monday or Tuesday.
John C

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
johnslocos said:
Tom
I think you will find the reason for your call not being answered is that Ivan was on his way to the Exeter show today. He was also going to visit his mother in Hertfordshire, on the way, who is terminally ill. He should be back at work Monday or Tuesday.
John C

Thanks for the info John. I'm sure that when I speak to Ivan he'll sort everything out. :)

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Uh-oh I was just about to order 3 kits. :- :holdon:

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Quick update:

IP's voicemail is saying that due to family illness, they are closed until 2nd November.

I guess that's due to his Mother's health.

My thoughts are with him.

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Wet n 'orrible weather this morning (I was hoping to have a steam up :( ) so carried on with the coach instead.

While humming to myself that well known anthem of New Labour which proved to be totally incorrect 'Things can only get better', I have to say that they actually did get better :D

The seats and counter pressed out of the fret with absolute ease (all 83 parts)

86858fb7fff04dcfa751f0959904847c.jpg

I gave the coach a coat of paint, assembled the counter and populated it with a few figures (yes, those ones from China that everyone has got!).

58f118cfdbdb4c2d905df3e4d2d46355.jpg

I think it might end up looking rather good. :clap:

Edit: Images in the wrong order!!

Enginehouse

Amateur Radio, 16mm/G scale railways
24 Oct 2009
Peterborough
Best answers
johnslocos said:
Tom
John C

A very well known and respected source within the 16mm Community has posted on the E Group in the last few days that "due to a family bereavement Ivan will be temporarily unavailable to customers."

Cheers.

Roy

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
To close this thread off, here is the finished coach. I haven't added any detail to the roof for the simple reason that I'd have to do the same to the rest of my coaches - and I'm a lazy b++++r! :D

Sorry for the poor quality photos. They were taken indoors because there was no way that I was going out in -4c when it was snowing....

0b438ea94f3a426d9a48a5cec9d0a6af.jpg

Nice interior with no need for embelishments...

a4e4d54be4214eacb832ee41e2ef810c.jpg

It rides higher than the model was designed because I had to raise the coach by adding blocks under the bogies so that the roof line matched my IP 'Freelance' coaches. Anyone modelling a true NG layout wouldn't need to do this.

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
That looks very nice - well done!

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
That looks great :) How do the bogies run? Are they completely wood?

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
musket the dog said:
That looks great :) How do the bogies run? Are they completely wood?

Hi musket,
On the indoor (very clean) track they run great. Dunno what they would be like on mucky garden stuff - yet! :banghead:
Yes, the bogies are wooden but are very well designed. The chances of making them out-of-square are pretty remote.

And thanks for the nice comments lads. I think I was unlucky with my example but enjoyed every minute of building it. :clap: