Aristocraft

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
hi folks can anyone tell me if a crest HO reciever can handle a single motor driven g scale doodlebug

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Paul,
What is the model number of the receiver?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that..

I can find the '6-pack' for sale, but no manuals..
There is a note on Greg's site that 'some people use them for very small single motor G-scale'.. I have paraphrased this.

My guess is if you have a well-behaved, small, single-motor loco you will probably get away with it.
BUT
It will very probably depend on the stall-current of the motor in the loco.. The Buhler motor used in LGB offerings is quite benign, but others can ramp up markedly in their current consumption once stalled.
IF you loco will spin it's wheels when stalled, then that is better. - There are people out there who weight their loco's so the wheels will not spin under a stall.

NOTE TO GREG:
Do you have a link for the 55002 manual / specification please?

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I do have a manual, but not sure I can distribute it, as it might be beta...

I'm guessing you want to know the current capability, so I provide this quote: (highlighting mine)

Congratulations on your purchase of the Crest HO Revolution Train Engineer wireless control system. This product has been manufactured to the highest standards using only quality components and, with proper care, will provide you with reliable service. The Revolution TE operates on the 2.4Ghz frequency band for ultimate stability and interference free operation. The Revolution TE lets you walk around your model railroad layout and remotely control your locomotive speed, direction, lights, sounds, and smoke from up to 200 feet away. The Revolution TE was developed to provide the model train enthusiast with complete integrated control of their dream layout, without the need for complicated layout wiring or complex control panels. The Revolution TE receiver is designed to operate between 8 to 18 volts 1.5 amps with pure DC, DCC track power or battery power. The Receiver is designed for “plug and play” installation in any Locomotive with an NMRA port. The receiver can also be installed in any Non-Plug-N-Play locomotive.

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I do have a manual, but not sure I can distribute it, as it might be beta...

I'm guessing you want to know the current capability, so I provide this quote: (highlighting mine)

Congratulations on your purchase of the Crest HO Revolution Train Engineer wireless control system. This product has been manufactured to the highest standards using only quality components and, with proper care, will provide you with reliable service. The Revolution TE operates on the 2.4Ghz frequency band for ultimate stability and interference free operation. The Revolution TE lets you walk around your model railroad layout and remotely control your locomotive speed, direction, lights, sounds, and smoke from up to 200 feet away. The Revolution TE was developed to provide the model train enthusiast with complete integrated control of their dream layout, without the need for complicated layout wiring or complex control panels. The Revolution TE receiver is designed to operate between 8 to 18 volts 1.5 amps with pure DC, DCC track power or battery power. The Receiver is designed for “plug and play” installation in any Locomotive with an NMRA port. The receiver can also be installed in any Non-Plug-N-Play locomotive.
COOL OK THANKYOU BOTH FOR THE HELP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
from up to 200 feet away.
That'll be from the end of the Street then! Oh how jealous I am of people who have massive gardens, or even large gardens!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
inexpensive meter, set to measure amps. You should be able to find one with a 10 amp scale.

amp meters are hooked in series with the track leads.... power up loco and measure it with wheels slipping, and then push down on it until you stall the wheels and measure.

These two measurements will help you determine what decoder capability you need.

Run at max voltage, like 18v. Be SURE your power supply can supply several amps.

Greg

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
inexpensive meter, set to measure amps. You should be able to find one with a 10 amp scale.

amp meters are hooked in series with the track leads.... power up loco and measure it with wheels slipping, and then push down on it until you stall the wheels and measure.

These two measurements will help you determine what decoder capability you need.

Run at max voltage, like 18v. Be SURE your power supply can supply several amps.

Greg
Ok perfect thankyou v much for the advice

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Ok perfect thankyou v much for the advice
Ok Greg I picked up some lgb switches with pont motors,am I correct in saying that pure ac voltage will not throw the switches correctly ? And that the AC needs to be half rectified ?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ok Greg I picked up some lgb switches with pont motors,am I correct in saying that pure ac voltage will not throw the switches correctly ? And that the AC needs to be half rectified ?

Hi Paul,
You are correct. - The motors will 'buzz' and not throw.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hope this turns-out OK?

DSC02183.JPG

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That's great thankyou so much,am I correct in saying one can use either a spdt switch or push buttons ,two for each point motor?

Yes, either two normally-open push-buttons, or one SPDT (on)-off-(on) toggle-switch.
The toggle of the switch is sprung to return to the central 'off' position, and only makes contact when pressed one-way or the other.

Both options require two diodes.

If you can keep the switches etc. well-sheltered from the elements, it helps.
Turn OFF the power between running sessions.. A mixture of damp, and small electrical currents, can cause the wires of components (quite often steel, to save costs) to 'rot'..

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, either two normally-open push-buttons, or one SPDT (on)-off-(on) toggle-switch.
The toggle of the switch is sprung to return to the central 'off' position, and only makes contact when pressed one-way or the other.

Both options require two diodes.

If you can keep the switches etc. well-sheltered from the elements, it helps.
Turn OFF the power between running sessions.. A mixture of damp, and small electrical currents, can cause the wires of components (quite often steel, to save costs) to 'rot'..
Excellent I really appreciate the help one of the things I like most about this hobby is the willingness and support that folks in this hobbie willingly offer

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag