Aristocraft REA Long Steel Caboose

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi everyone! I recently bought an Aristocraft REA long steel caboose with a broken roof. I was planning on just parting it out for other projects, but it's kind of nice, other than the broken roof, so I decided to try to find a replacement roof for it. I can always still part it out, but if a roof can be found before I find an appropriate project, then I'll fix it. I know that it will be a steep, uphill climb since Aristocraft is no more. We'll see. I was just wondering if anybody had an idea where I might find one, other than on Ebay.
Later!
20190408_150327.jpgAndrew 20190408_150252.jpg

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
well if you part it out I could use the "U" shaped ladder part at 1 end up on the roof part 5 and part #42100-05 from the parts diaghram

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
I didn't get the ladders. The car was missing both ladders, and about a third of its' roof. I bought it primarily for the trucks (That I've upgraded to Bachmann blackened metal wheels), lanterns, and interior parts. I'm thinking about, if I don't find a roof first,seeing if the interior parts can be installed in a Kalamazoo caboose project that I've been considering upgrading. It's in my storage unit 200 miles away from where I'm currently living, so it may be a while before I can start this project. I will say that the Aristocraft trucks are great for Bachmann center cupola cabooses ,as I bought a set of Aristocraft trucks and installed them on a Bachmann North Star Express caboose last year. I paid slightly more for that set of trucks then I paid for this enyire caboose,which I purchased a few weeks ago on Ebay for $30.00,shipping included!

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
well it's not the ladder it is just the "U" shaped piece at the top, so if you run across one let me know

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
I know. They are the hand rails at the top of the ladder. Unfortunately, I didn't get the full car. That would have been a pretty nice deal for $30.00,right? I have the manual for this car.The way it's put together(very strong glue) , I would have to break the body to part it out. Fortunately, it looks like I just found a donor roof.No ladders or hand rails, but they're not a big concern.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the up date, GLX has some 3d replacement parts but not a lot for the caboose, he will make just about anything but has to have 1 to go by, if I run into any parts I will let you know, Bill

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Caboose here. I'll lend it to "GLX", if you tell him what parts you need...I know Gilbert very well...he is here in Ottawa...
Fred Mills

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
thanks Fred, been a while since I had it out but I believe it was just the upper roof ladder "U" shaped section which is #42100-05 from the parts list but let me check further haven't had it out/down for over 5 years

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
thanks, yes I know that is where I got the part # from, sounds like you got a good deal if the trucks were worth it to you, glad you found a roof, I guess the cupola will be next, Bill

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
If you are sure of the part number, just contact Gilbert at "GlX Scale Models Inc".
I saw him at the club meeting this evening...you just have to order the part from him, using the number, and arrange payment. I'll lend the caboose to him.
Fred Mills

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
If you are sure of the part number, just contact Gilbert at "GlX Scale Models Inc".
I saw him at the club meeting this evening...you just have to order the part from him, using the number, and arrange payment. I'll lend the caboose to him.
Fred Mills
Thanks Fred, right now it is on the back burner but I will keep it in mine and let you know, thanks so much for your help, Bill

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Problem solved.The replacement roof is on the way.
Thanks guys!
Andrew

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
The replacement roof arrived. I repainted it. It's not a color match, but it's close enough for me!
20190419_173635.jpg20190419_173635.jpg20190419_173804.jpg20190419_173748.jpg

Last edited:

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
I just posted this video to youtube of one of my trains running with this caboose for the first time. The green Bachmann coach and Aristocraft D&RGW coach are also being run on my track for the first time as well.
Enjoy!
Andrew

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I see a possible box cab loco.