Are my decoders faulty?

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Have you tried to set the MX32FU to 28 speed steps for each loco number with the 55020 decoders? 55020 does not do 128 speed steps.
If the 55020 is the original Lenz model, it's only 14 Speed Steps. If it's the Massoth produced unit, then I assume it's 14 or 28 capable? A good solution is to upgrade and replace that antiquated 55020 decoder with a current decoder such as the Massoth L Driving Decoder.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Have you tried to set the MX32FU to 28 speed steps for each loco number with the 55020 decoders? 55020 does not do 128 speed steps.
I don't understand this... if the decoder has 28 speed step capability, then it will accept 28 or 128 right? That's the spec.

So really the only issue with speed steps is that you have a mismatch between either one of these TWO speed ranges: 14 or the 28/128 setting between the throttle and the decoder.

Greg

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
I changed the MX 32 to 28 and 14 speed steps but still not able to drive the loco. I guess I need to change the decoder.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
interesting... well you read CV1 as 11, and CV29 indicates short address in operation, so trying address 11 no go?

Something is really weird, as it responds with the "motor pulse" in service mode, so the motor works and power can be applied.

How about resetting the decoder? That will change short address back to 3 too, I believe.

Do you have the manual listing all the CVs?

Greg

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
This is way beyond my current knowledge level, I am still very much a beginner where DCC is concerned. I am going to put it to one side for now as I need to work on other things. By the end of February the sun will be shining again and I need to have a box of turnout motors modified with decoders Inside and addressed.

Thanks for all your efforts. I will pick it up again as soon as I can as my friend really wants Heidi up and running.

Robin

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
By the end of February the sun will be shining again and I need to have a box of turnout motors modified with decoders Inside and addressed.
Robin
Oh hells teeth good luck with that, found that to be an awful jib to get my head round though plenty on here have mastered it and I am sure will be happy to give guidance.