MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
[align=center]I got some offcuts of gas pipe from a skip last week,
I thought it would make some silo towers,
anyone any idea what would look best, the longest in the pic is over 1M high and the short one is 65cm, that roughly means 100ft and 65ft high, I only want to make a small silo like for a local mixing feed store,

8185e76d81f0431cbc8c97b19209a190.jpg

7f494d7599964b5f92fd1ef81010be40.jpg

[/align]

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think it needs short, stubby wings and a tail fin :rofl::rofl::rofl:

MR SPOCK

25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
Best answers
Rhinochugger said:
I think it needs short, stubby wings and a tail fin :rofl::rofl::rofl:

[align=center]Never thought about that could be a good hiding place for a rocket, anyone got a spare Thunderbird 1?
[/align]

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
Yes actually I have......but its the wrong scale though? FAB.

MR SPOCK

25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
Best answers
Andy Worsfold said:
Yes actually I have......but its the wrong scale though? FAB.

[align=center]Just had a dark thought, I live on the flight path to a military airbase, maybe I dont want to hide a rocket in a silo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/align]

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
I would go with the short one Pete as if you are planning to build the one in the pic the building will be around the metre mark with the silos at 65cm if you use the metre tall silos the building going to be alot taller (more chance of blowing over)

MR SPOCK

25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
Best answers
Richie said:
I would go with the short one Pete as if you are planning to build the one in the pic the building will be around the metre mark with the silos at 65cm if you use the metre tall silos the building going to be alot taller (more chance of blowing over)

[align=center]I stood a box car on end and it was forty foot, two on end was eighty, but as I have only got the three lumps of pipe then 65 is looking the way,I can join the two offcuts together to make four stacks then, and as you say the cupola on top will make it even taller, I was going to bolt the whole lot together so as to make a wind break, its always windy here,
[/align]

deltic dave

Registered
5 Jan 2010
north hertfordshire
Best answers
cut the 2 long ones to same length as short one then cut all three along their lengths
so you have six half pipes , build the blockhouse and mount 3 half pipes one side and
three the other ,only you will know there only half silos.!
my first post so hope it helps.

MR SPOCK

25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
Best answers
deltic dave said:
cut the 2 long ones to same length as short one then cut all three along their lengths
so you have six half pipes , build the blockhouse and mount 3 half pipes one side and
three the other ,only you will know there only half silos.!
my first post so hope it helps.

Brilliant idea Dave will look at that in the morning, cheers

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
I started off thinking I would use 4 'tubes' in a 'square' when I started building a wheat silo, as that was the minimum I'd ever seen in the prototype. But I thought it looked just too big for where I wanted to put it. So I only used two, even though it's not prototypical. Still looks OK I think.
The tubes are 600mm high and 150 mm dia.
5d40405b32db4d28b44fc37835798338.jpg

MR SPOCK

25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
Best answers
Looks neat that Greg, maybe I should to four square instead of six, , I wanted to use tall structures as a wind break but the height is a bit much, I am sure I have seen two tower types for animal feed mills somewhere ,

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
You can only just make out in the background my elevator on our old exhibition layout - half round gutters painted white, four feet tall, held up with velcro to the backscene!

e34c0dfc05914966abd9ba6cc1b4f02a.jpg

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
I am working on some in N at the moment. They are a foot tall so in G you must be getting on a bit more :) ? IMO The key issue is to make sure that although the thing is made up of tubes (in my case, cardboard) it does n't end up looking like a exactly that, a collection of tubes stuck together.

Some concrete silos/elevators are made from a continuous pouring process and leave characteristic lines as along the length of the structure as the formwork rises. Also the cylinders have a curved "fill" between them. If this is omitted the resulting structure does look very convincing to me.

Here are some shots of mine so far, I used postal tubes with card overlay pre-printed with some concrete textured card I drew up in photoshop from original photos. To me it's the only way of capturing the complex patterns of man and nature in my lifetime. I just could n't get a realistic effect trying to hand paint the concrete.

Granted not much use outside, so the overlay would have to be 20thou plasticard or similar, to do away with "these are tubes stuck together effect". In my case there are 27 silos(only 9 on this segment, its cut away at the back to conceal a track up against a wall), but the theory is good for 2 or 20. As always get yourselves some real pictures to work from, it's suprising how a subject that one thinks as realistic turns out to be total poo when you do that.

dec10.jpg

dec10-2.jpg

dec10-3.jpg

Laters

MR SPOCK

25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
Best answers

MR SPOCK

25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
Best answers
gregh said:
In case it helps, the standard concrete wheat silo in Australia was 65' high, with a roof 6' high, and 16'-6" diameter.

[align=center]Perfect dimensions for my pipes
[/align]

MR SPOCK

25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
Best answers
New Haven Neil said:
You can only just make out in the background my elevator on our old exhibition layout - half round gutters painted white, four feet tall, held up with velcro to the backscene!

images

[align=center]Getting better ideas all of the time ,
[/align]

MR SPOCK

25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
Best answers
Woderwick said:
I am working on some in N at the moment. They are a foot tall so in G you must be getting on a bit more :) ? IMO The key issue is to make sure that although the thing is made up of tubes (in my case, cardboard) it does n't end up looking like a exactly that, a collection of tubes stuck together.

Some concrete silos/elevators are made from a continuous pouring process and leave characteristic lines as along the length of the structure as the formwork rises. Also the cylinders have a curved "fill" between them. If this is omitted the resulting structure does look very convincing to me.

Here are some shots of mine so far, I used postal tubes with card overlay pre-printed with some concrete textured card I drew up in photoshop from original photos. To me it's the only way of capturing the complex patterns of man and nature in my lifetime. I just could n't get a realistic effect trying to hand paint the concrete.

Granted not much use outside, so the overlay would have to be 20thou plasticard or similar, to do away with "these are tubes stuck together effect". In my case there are 27 silos(only 9 on this segment, its cut away at the back to conceal a track up against a wall), but the theory is good for 2 or 20. As always get yourselves some real pictures to work from, it's suprising how a subject that one thinks as realistic turns out to be total poo when you do that.

dec10.jpg

dec10-2.jpg

dec10-3.jpg

Laters

[align=center]OMG, if thats N then I need to downsize, and if you had said this was G scale I would have believed ye, super job done there, wow
[/align]