Any preference in type & make of battery preferred ??

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, any preference in type & make of battery preferred ??. I was looking to use lipo, but it seems there are a few things that don't like them in the model train world. So, do you prefer a particular type & make that you find reliable. Thanks.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
All batteries need treating with respect.

The chemistry you choose, is more to do with how comfortable you feel with that particular technology. - You need to learn a little about your choice, and treat it with respect, use the correct charger, and don't abuse them.

NiMH is tried and tested.. But you need to be aware of the type you are using..
Standard cells will discharge over time, so you really need to check / top-up, every 3-4 months. - For EVERY pack!
LSD (Low Self Discharge) will hold their charge for many months, so if you charge after a running session, or end of season, they will be fine four months later.

Lithium-based, will attract 'the sky is falling in' tales, of death, destruction, and the end of civilisation as we know it.
Treat them with care. Understand a suitable charger, and my preference is to use a balance-charger. - Some packs, have smarter BMS (Battery Management System) boards, rather than just 'protection' which will do it all for you.

You pays your money, and takes your choice.

Personally, I use both.

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Lithium Polymer as the OP asked about, is normally the battery in a plastic pouch. They are not rugged unless protected in a case, damage a corner or puncture or even strongly dent it and you can have battery failure, and yes it is possible to overheat enough to catch fire.

Lithium batteries in cylindrical metal cells are much safer for our hobby where they are not in a protected case/housing. Normally these are Lithium Ion, but forget the poly vs ion and just get them in packs of cylindrical cells.

You can determine your "risk factor" yourself. Notice that every other portable device you have is most likely powered with lithium cells.

For small locos and/or sound lithium might be your only choice given space. Larger locos, you have more choice.

Greg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I started wit LiPo but as Greg Elmassian Greg Elmassian points out they are in plastic pouch and normally do NOT have any protection systems built in, where Li-Ion packs normally come with a Battery Monitoring System (BMS), so i would consider Li-Ion over LiPo. however to answer your question I have used Turnigy, and have bought my LiPo through:

They seem to have a good choice, and provide good details of the battery.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
This short-wheelbase 00 loco, comes with a wagon for additional pickup..
16528900592104060601841720250699.jpg
But I intend to do away with that:
16528901403048370157978762912948.jpgThe receiver/controller is balanced against the coupling bar.
:nerd: :)

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You can now also buy the battery protection boards separately if you wish from many suppliers. If I had an extreme case, I would use a pouch type, but it would not be my preference.

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Whatever you use, make sure it's not too difficult to remove them. Very occasionally a pack will fail, and it's the one you can't get to!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This short-wheelbase 00 loco, comes with a wagon for additional pickup..
View attachment 298637
But I intend to do away with that:
View attachment 298638The receiver/controller is balanced against the coupling bar.
:nerd: :)
Just shows what can be done with the smaller scales, sadly sound rarely features in these sort of small conversions but I have seen systems available in USA that feature sound as well but not in such a small loco.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Just shows what can be done with the smaller scales, sadly sound rarely features in these sort of small conversions but I have seen systems available in USA that feature sound as well but not in such a small loco.
What sound system are you using? : ''SOUNDS GOOD''

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
What sound system are you using? : ''SOUNDS GOOD''
I am using MLS or whatever chip in my DCC battery conversions. I would imagine that Hornby cheeper DCC sound chips would work with the small loco shown but in UK there are no smaller Battery/DCC rx systems small enough to fit. Then we get to batteries and my dislike for Lipo or Lion battery solutions previously aired in this forum.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
I am using MLS or whatever chip in my DCC battery conversions. I would imagine that Hornby cheeper DCC sound chips would work with the small loco shown but in UK there are no smaller Battery/DCC rx systems small enough to fit. Then we get to batteries and my dislike for Lipo or Lion battery solutions previously aired in this forum.
Laptop, mobile phone, electric toothbrush, battery power tools, battery garden tools, just a selection of lithium powered items, and I am sure you must have at east one of these items :)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Laptop, mobile phone, electric toothbrush, battery power tools, battery garden tools, just a selection of lithium powered items, and I am sure you must have at east one of these items :)
Indeed I do, I am using my iPod just now that has one such battery. But I have no choice with these things if I want them, I also tend to trust the manufacture of these things. However I do not trust the supply of many of the Lipo and Lion batteries, thus I only use NiMh in my trains. This clearly would restrict their use in smaller models. My views may change over time but not for now.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
....... However I do not trust the supply of many of the Lipo and Lion batteries, .......
My experience of apparent "bargains" for li-ion cells on eBay would endorse this, which is why I only use a reputable supplier such as Ecolux. He will also weld on solder tags.

Rik

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Indeed I do, I am using my iPod just now that has one such battery. But I have no choice with these things if I want them, I also tend to trust the manufacture of these things. However I do not trust the supply of many of the Lipo and Lion batteries, thus I only use NiMh in my trains. This clearly would restrict their use in smaller models. My views may change over time but not for now.
I do buy my Li-Ion from RC trains :)

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I do buy my Li-Ion from RC trains :)
Like Rik, the cells come from Ecolux, though as my packs tend to be bespoke, I get them tagged/assembled by Strikalite.
I add the BMS, test and overwrap.

PhilP

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
And any of those electronic devices is far more easily replaced than an expensive and often modified model engine, even if costs for some might be comparable. You have to go with your comfort level. I use Tenergy brand batteries and packs in most of my engines. I do have less expensive, but still "name brand" packs in the tenders of some L'il Big Haulers. (Even those are expensive of late!) I rely a great deal on the collective experience of forum members in selecting battery types and usage.