Any of our Tram fans gotten themselves the new Regner live steam tram?

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have one of Regner's new live steam tram kits on order. Should have it late this next week. Same prototype as the LGB one from years ago but in live steam. Very nicely done body work with a geared drive for nice slow and smooth running, even without RC control.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have one of Regner's new live steam tram kits on order. Should have it late this next week. Same prototype as the LGB one from years ago but in live steam. Very nicely done body work with a geared drive for nice slow and smooth running, even without RC control.
I have an Otto Steam Tram that runs very nicely, you may find a change of Gas Valve to a Ronson Type a worthwhile mod. The Regner ones used to be a devil to gas up. Sadly not a simple DIY job you need the full screw in bit replacing as well. Sundry live steam bits suppliers are known to do these. Sorry can’t remember where I got mine from but my other Regner (now sold) had to have this mod as well.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I got the replacement gas tank Ronson self venting style from Jay at The Train Dept along with the kit. I am very familiar with both how to fill the original Regner ones(it can be done once you learn the technique and have Regners gas can adapter), but the replacment Ronson style is much easier. Not sure why Regner does not just do away with thier own one and use what the rest of the world does. I got the kit today. I owed a friend some money and the funding to get coaches for my Aster Schools went elsewhere to cover life bills. So I traded the Schools and an Aster coach to him for the Regner kit with extras and taking care of what I owed him. Worked out well for both of us and I can still go run the Schools at his house. Typing this just before I step out the door for my shift at work. I had time to unwrap all the parts from the tissue paper, very impressive kit for the money spend. The paint work is excellent, boiler has water cross tubes in the burner flue and the burner itself looks improved over earlier ones with slots. Looking forward to this build. The only critique on these beyond the gas filler, is the lack of bushings or bearings on the main axles and gear cross shaft. I would gladly pay a bit more at point of purchase to at least have bronze bushings on these surfaces or even proper bearings. This engine is an excellent micro layout live steamer with its short wheel base and gear reduction drive. I would love to see Regner do some matching metal bodied passenger coaches, but its to LGB scale, so those will suffice. Mike the Aspie.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I put a suggestion forward this morning to my nearest and dearest for this wee beauty Regner Steam Tram as this years b'day gift, I even said I wouldn't mind if it was a joint b'day and crimbo gift which I thought was reasonable of me, the reply I received wasn't totally unexpected but definitely not repeatable here.

Even without the aide of a crystal ball I can foresee one of these in my future.

David

ol_hogger

Registered
23 Jul 2021
Germany
Country
Germany
Best answers
Regner's OEG 102 Tram "Paul" became my first live steam loco. I met the original in a museum when I was a schoolboy, hence I could not resist.

Paul_34.jpg

I do 1 gauge, but tram locos tend to be tiny even in narrow gauge. She fits nicely in length and width, if a bit tall compared to Maxi coaches. I think she will do freight duty with lowsided wagons next to her where this won't show.

Technically it is an oscillating steam motor drive with clockwork gears.

Paul_bottom.jpg

Note the whistle on the opposite end. I added wooden beams to that buffers would not scratch the fronts.

Paul_sideL.jpg

The roof lifts for cab access. From front to back you have the steam motor and its reverser lever, stack, safety valve and pressure gauge. Note the baffle I put in to protect the steam engine's spring from the smokebox. When I had a false start trying to ignite the gas, flames there destroyed the spring that holds the cylnders. Moving to the backhead, there is the steam manifold supplying steam valve, pressure gauge, whistle and sightglass with water refill valve on top. Ultimate left you can see gas valve and filler with tank below. Opposite right you can make out the shiny lubricator cap.

Paul_Top.jpg

Besides the cab fire mentioned, which was entirely my fault (Bring the light first, then turn on gas! that's what I learned.), she turned out to be an uncomplicated, reliable and comfortly slow paced runner.

Thus encouraged I bought another loco, this time a used Else. This forum does have an Else thread already to which I may add in due time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice, I'm even more tempted but need to resist just now.

Any chance you could share a photo next to Bachmann tram or LGB coach, thanks.

David

ol_hogger

Registered
23 Jul 2021
Germany
Country
Germany
Best answers
Märklin Maxi wagons don't really help, do they?

Paul_bend.jpg

I watched some clips on youtube (search for "Regner Paul" or "Regner Tram") where you could see the clerestory coaches stand a bit taller than the tram. Which may be quite prototypical.

Last edited:

ol_hogger

Registered
23 Jul 2021
Germany
Country
Germany
Best answers
Still owe the proof that I was there. This was the Viernheim Tram depot which contained a museum at that time.

Tram_museum.jpg

Most vehicles were crammed in inside. The only shot I could get was this one. I could not afford high speed film at that time.

Paul_number.jpg

Dstgw = Dienstgewicht= ready weight
Brsgw= Bremsgewicht = brake effort
Br.Unt.Ed = Bremsuntersuchung Edingen = brakes examinated at Edingen shop

Wasser = water capacity
Kohlen = coal capacity
Knorr-Bremse = Knorr brake system

Note the OEG owner plate Regner has omitted. The OEG lines still operate in the triangle of Heidelberg-Mannheim-Weinheim, though ownership has changed to its parent company of old. The loco still exists in the off-visitors collection of the local technical museum. They used to have two elegant bogie coaches to match ...

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I visited the Viernheim Museum back in the 70’s with my friend who married a German girl and moved to Germany. At the time they lived in Worms but now live near Osthofen not far away. Their son has a pretty good collection of LGB from his train set youth but has little interest now but still wants to keep it for nostalgia reasons. I can attest to the difficulties of photography at the Museum when still open, it was most frustrating as there were many interesting Locomotives present. My visit was on 26/2/78 and present were Steam 3x 0-4-0, 2x 0-6-0, 2x 0-4-4-0, 1x 2-8-2, 1x 0-10+4 plus 2 small 4 wheel diesels 1 of them being a flameproof underground one. Of the steam 2 were steam trams an 0-6-0 plus an 0-4-0. A very interesting collection of 11 locomotives.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Moving to the backhead, there is the steam manifold supplying steam valve, pressure gauge, whistle and sightglass with water refill valve on top. Ultimate left you can see gas valve and filler with tank below. Opposite right you can make out the shiny lubricator cap.

Paul_Top.jpg

A word to you kit builders. Regner changed the steam feed pipe which runs from the throttle valve to the steam oscillator via the lubricator and main flue.
Both ends of the pipe need to be bent after you thread it through the flue - and you'll never get it out again without unsoldering. Fit the lubricator to the pipe and the throttle valve olive in the right plane (upwards) before you start bending the front pipe.

ol_hogger

Registered
23 Jul 2021
Germany
Country
Germany
Best answers
Season is over, alas.

Look what happened during the final run:

gauge_wet.jpg

The gauge should be protected by a puddle of condensate in the bend of its pipework. Otherwise, live steam may hurt its membrane to this outcome.
Installed as prescribed (see#5) the water pocket is rather shallow and receives a lot of heat radiation from the boiler below. Paul running slowly on a small flame gives long runs of maybe a full hour before gas runs out. There may have been time enough for the puddle to evaporate away.

Let me stress that Regner swiftly sent me a replacement at no cost. I tried to find a cooler spot to connect the banjo fitting. A deeper bend, too.

gauge_side.jpg

gauge_above.jpg

The throttle will be fine with only a quarter circle swing. If you are on RC, this may look different though.

But don't say I didn't warn you.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Season is over, alas.

Look what happened during the final run:

View attachment 306171

The gauge should be protected by a puddle of condensate in the bend of its pipework. Otherwise, live steam may hurt its membrane to this outcome.
Installed as prescribed (see#5) the water pocket is rather shallow and receives a lot of heat radiation from the boiler below. Paul running slowly on a small flame gives long runs of maybe a full hour before gas runs out. There may have been time enough for the puddle to evaporate away.

Let me stress that Regner swiftly sent me a replacement at no cost. I tried to find a cooler spot to connect the banjo fitting. A deeper bend, too.

View attachment 306179

View attachment 306180

The throttle will be fine with only a quarter circle swing. If you are on RC, this may look different though.

But don't say I didn't warn you.
It looks as if the gauge has been bent out of place, as you say, the pipe work should have a tighter curve, and surely the gauge itself shouldn't be behind the pillar

ol_hogger

Registered
23 Jul 2021
Germany
Country
Germany
Best answers
I am embarrassed to admit that this is the improvement. See #5 above for the original situation.
As always I tried to make do with what was on hand. I didn't dare to rebend the pipe more drastically.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I am embarrassed to admit that this is the improvement. See #5 above for the original situation.
As always I tried to make do wirh what was on hand. I didn't dare to rebend the pipe more drasrically.
Yes, bending thin copper pipe can be tricky, one kink and it's done for. Ian see the problem in Post No5, it seems strange that was done like that if it was going to cause problems

ol_hogger

Registered
23 Jul 2021
Germany
Country
Germany
Best answers
Find attached Regner's own warnings on the box rejecting any guarantee, if the pipe is not properly shaped (quote: as with a kitchen sink) and too close to hot surfaces. Their original layout raised an eyebrow, yet since they recommended it ... Certainly for lack of space in the backhead area. Which, apart from my limited handiness, comes as a welcome excuse for the dial askew.

20221106_112637.jpg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, bending thin copper pipe can be tricky, one kink and it's done for. Ian see the problem in Post No5, it seems strange that was done like that if it was going to cause problems
Always a tricky job to find somewhere to fit some of the giant pressure gauges that our dragons are supplied with. Mine have all had smaller 1/2“ ones fitted except my Regner Berta Steam Tram that I thought still had the original Regner one fitted but on just looking has no gauge fitted. I know I have a 1/2” one in my live steam bits so that is obviously for Berta but on the RTI list.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
My pipe is over the top of the boiler like your original. Guess I had better find somewhere else for it.

20210228_142133-top-off_edited-1.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Does look a slightly strange place to fit it, across a pillar like that

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Does look a slightly strange place to fit it, across a pillar like that
Yes if rebending pipework to sit either side of the rear pillar would be best bet.