idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Inspired by the recent postings on Steam Trams, which I very much liked, I thought why should the tram enthusiasts have all the fun?

I did a bit of research into non-tram steam railcars (is there a distinction between tram, light rail and narrow gauge?) or dampftriebwagen as I was looking for German examples. One of the early famous ones is called the “Kittel” (after the designer Eugen Kittel) and many of these were made, originally for the Württemberg State Railway. You can read about these on Wikipedia here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Württembergischer_DW (German).

They were strange beasts, basically a 2 axle passenger car with front axle driven by a vertical boiler steam engine (A1 configuration). They were quite successful and ran until 1953. There is even a G scale model of this from Kiss www.kiss-modellbahnen.de/spur-1/kittel/ which looks terrific but a) as the prototype is standard gauge this model is gauge 1 (1:32) so would look a bit small in my collection b) it can only negotiate 1000mm curves or greater – presumably the motor single axle is fixed – and c) it costs €2,000. There is even a Regner live steam version. Märklin have recently brought out a Z scale version (50mm long) for those who like the other end of the railway scale spectrum:
https://www.maerklin.de/en/products/details/article/88145/
This costs €200 so maybe the Kiss model is not such bad value!

Continuing my search I came across a narrow gauge (750mm) steam railcar called DWss (DampfWagen schmalspur).
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Württembergischer_DWss
This was also developed for the Royal Württemberg State Railway. Like the “Kittel” it had one driving wheel but it was based on a 4 axle passenger car, configuration (1A)2. Only one was built for the Württemberg but three or four were made for the Bleckeder Kreisbahn. Carocar do an Hoe/HOm model of this www.carocar.com/html/m_1040.html

1040_54566_770x258.jpg

This is what I thought I would try and model – based on rather than a fine scale replica. All the links above give more than enough detail, and I also found some more technical drawings and historical data in this PDF if you want to read more (this is in German) http://www.museumseisenbahn.de/images/dev_dme/dme05_1_dampftriebwagen_dwss.pdf

This indicates this particular railcar was not a great success for the passengers; slow, uncomfortable (passengers were only separated from the boiler by a wooden bulkhead) and perceived to be dangerous as going in reverse the driver had no vision forwards except by leaning out the window, and relied on the conductor to act as brakeman (the conductor had an emergency stop control). But the company saved money as no fireman was required, the driver assuming that role. Now where have we heard that before?

I took the technical drawings and scaled them to 1:22.5. The length should be about 530mm but my layout is all R1 curves and points and I have an unwritten rule of nothing longer that 450mm. (That rule will only be broken should LGB ever bring out a Saxon VIIK 2-10-2T) So I have shortened it a little.

IMG_20180208_163622.jpg

I took an LGB 3062 passenger car as the starting point for the bodywork. That was the right height, width, window style and roof profile, so a pretty good start.

For the steam engine I cannibalised a Stainz (courtesy of ebayMike) and drastically cut down the moving parts until I had just a cylinder and piston driving one wheel. The prototype has a large driving wheel (900mm according to the drawings but that sounds too big to me) and a standard 720mm non-driving wheel at the front. At some point I might replace the front axle with a smaller non-powered wheel set but in the meantime I have painted it back to try and hide it, and anyway it is hidden behind the cylinder.

IMG_20180208_163517.jpg

It all needed to be as low profile as possible to fit under the carriage body. I had to raise the rear bogie by a few millimetres but it is hardly noticeable. I have replaced the plastic wheels on the rear bogie with metal pickup wheels to increase the number of power pickups (track power DCC). I haven’t wired those up yet.

IMG_20180208_163422.jpg

I fitted a Massoth LS small steam loco decoder (the green and yellow leads are reversed on purpose, as the motor block is effectively running backwards), and put the body on top.

IMG_20180208_163406.jpg

To my amazement it ran first time. Very short video clip:

I still have lots to do, but I have all the necessary bits and pieces for the internal fittings.

IMG_20180208_164022.jpg

I need to fabricate the water tank that goes under the frame between the wheels from plasticard. That is where I will put some weight. I will probably use the Stainz boiler mounted vertically inside the cab, suitably trimmed. I need to think about the large circular chimney cowling on the roof.

I will post updates as and when but don’t hold your breath, it has taken me over a month of pondering to get this far!

Reactions: 8 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You've made a great start:clap:

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
great start,keep it coming

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You have made a very nice little beast, similar cars also ran in Austria in the 760mm Gauge. One type just having only 2 Axles the other being a bogie one not unlike yours but with the Locomotive part added to the outside with that end of the Carriage hanging from it. This is the best image that I can find though there is another one in the Big Austrian book on one going Coach End first and draging a couple of Open Wagons.
image.jpeg
Glad you like the Steam Trams thread, perhaps we should do a Steam Railcar one? You clearly like myself have an interest in research.

Reactions: 2 users

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
You have made a very nice little beast, similar cars also ran in Austria in the 760mm Gauge. One type just having only 2 Axles the other being a bogie one not unlike yours but with the Locomotive part added to the outside with that end of the Carriage hanging from it. This is the best image that I can find though there is another one in the Big Austrian book on one going Coach End first and draging a couple of Open Wagons.
View attachment 232928
Glad you like the Steam Trams thread, perhaps we should do a Steam Railcar one? You clearly like myself have an interest in research.

There are certainly plenty of examples once you start looking, and a wide variety of design, plenty to keep a thread active for a while.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice. I like your method of changing the piston etc to drive one wheel.
Thanks Greg. It took about 4 iterations to get to this point, where it would operate without binding on the front non-driving wheel, bodywork and trackside furniture. Unrealistic in terms of a real operating piston and valve system, but it gives the impression of steam powered movement! I'll take a close-up to show what I ended up doing.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 232928...
This looks like the other end of the one you found:
Gm%C3%BCnd_1907.jpg

From here:https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dampftriebwagen

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Some progress but still some way to go. I have fitted out the two 8 seat passenger compartments, added detail to the roof (ventilators, whistle, bell, pulley system for the guard's emergency brake) and fitted all the lights (directional and firebox), sound and smoke generator, and constructed a water tank slung between the bogies. Picture below.

IMG_20180220_105620.jpg

Still to be done,sliding doors (which will be fixed closed to hide all the electrical gubbins in what is the luggage compartment), front and rear glazing, and replacement smaller chimney - I have temporarily used the one from the Stainz just to test out the smoke generator. I have prepared some transfers, inkjet printing on decal paper. I'm going to leave the engine compartment side window open to show the boiler - the other side is the where the coal is fed in. So on the home straight now.

Reactions: 8 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
You're certainly going full steam ahead on this, Dave, and it's looking good, very
good.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If it wasn't for the 'giant chocolate block connector', that shot could be the corner of some museum building somewhere!
:clap::clap::clap:

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for your kind comments. I have more or less finished the beast now, some more photos and a short video clip below. I have replaced the chimney with something more fitting, attached the sliding doors and hidden all the electrical stuff. I was very disappointed with my self printed ink-jet-on-decal-paper transfers. They looked nice on the paper but when transferred there is hardly any colour to them. I have included a picture to show what I mean. But overall I am quite pleased with the model, as I said at the beginning it is not a fine scale rendition but I think I have captured the spirit of it. I also quite like the Massoth sound card (LS decoder with small steam loco sounds) through a rather tinny speaker, it seems to fit the quirkiness of the vehicle.

IMG_20180222_195235.jpg

IMG_20180223_152236.jpg

Picture of transfers before and after transfer; you can just about make out the 4 but the K. Sachs is practically invisible.

IMG_20180222_195410.jpg

Never mind, only a few quid wasted on decal paper. Video to finish.

Reactions: 2 users

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Cracking build,thats great;);););)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for your kind comments. I have more or less finished the beast now, some more photos and a short video clip below. I have replaced the chimney with something more fitting, attached the sliding doors and hidden all the electrical stuff. I was very disappointed with my self printed ink-jet-on-decal-paper transfers. They looked nice on the paper but when transferred there is hardly any colour to them. I have included a picture to show what I mean. But overall I am quite pleased with the model, as I said at the beginning it is not a fine scale rendition but I think I have captured the spirit of it. I also quite like the Massoth sound card (LS decoder with small steam loco sounds) through a rather tinny speaker, it seems to fit the quirkiness of the vehicle.

View attachment 233530

View attachment 233531

Picture of transfers before and after transfer; you can just about make out the 4 but the K. Sachs is practically invisible.

View attachment 233532

Never mind, only a few quid wasted on decal paper. Video to finish.

Very nice I am inspired to do one myself even though the Harz never had such a beast. These days it would probably be a Battery Queen.

On the subject of Transfers I wonder if White would have worked better, though I gather there are issues with printing White on most printers. They appear to think you are printing on White Paper so do not sploge any white ink out. Or am I out of touch on this these days?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The Saxon logos were usually in a yellow/gold colour

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice I am inspired to do one myself even though the Harz never had such a beast. These days it would probably be a Battery Queen.

On the subject of Transfers I wonder if White would have worked better, though I gather there are issues with printing White on most printers. They appear to think you are printing on White Paper so do not sploge any white ink out. Or am I out of touch on this these days?

Ref "no such thing on the Harz" there is no such thing on the Saxon narrow gauge railways either but I envisaged one being purloined as a trial but never taken up. There were 1m gauge dampftriebwagens as well so you could envisage the same. Anyway rule 8 and all that!

Ref transfers yes normal home inkjet and laser printers do not print white, they just leave a space where white should be assuming you are using white paper. You can get printers that print white but they are very expensive. If you want a transfer that has white in you would use white decal paper and maybe that would do a better job of retaining the colour. You would have to cut around the transfer very carefully assuming you weren't applying the transfer to a white background which would be very unusual for a loco. As Alan says the Saxon logos were yellow/gold.

I followed the instructions carefully, I used new print cartridges, I printed at highest quality setting, sprayed them with matt clear varnish, and there was no colour run when I put them in water. They looked fine on the sheet as you can see from the picture, but it seems the colour is not rich enough to show through. Pity.