Any info on the Accucraft GP60?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've seen many situations where people get a large loco and push the limit on curvature.

Also, what is often overlooked, is a loco might negotiate a curve on dead level, flat track, then the owner takes it outdoors, and a few dips and humps and a tiny bit of track warp and derailments galore.

Waiting for this to take off with the upcoming offering by Bachmann of the Aristo Dash 9.

(sorry for adding a THIRD manufacturer to the thread ha ha!)

Greg

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Pedantry is a pain, especially when someone is correcting someone just like a old school teacher, almost telling another person off... but we are not all the same and one person's pedantry is another's wish to be correct....all the time...
But as far as long diesels are concerned (USAT SD70, SD40-2, PA1, or Aristo Dash 9 and Class 66) you can try to push them around smaller radius curves and they may well go, on their own, but tether a car behind them and, depending on the loco coupler set-up and the car coupler, they could have distinct problems dragging the cars off the rails.

LGB got over this with their long Genesis (P40/P42) loco by having a coupler that had an enormous swing.. in fact the couple includes the rear beam as part of the structure and it does look odd when going around a small radius..but it can do it and also drag cars around it as well.

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Pedantry is a pain, especially when someone is correcting someone just like a old school teacher, almost telling another person off... but we are not all the same and one person's pedantry is another's wish to be correct....al the time...
But as far as long diesels are concerned (USAT SD70, SD40-2, PA1, or Aristo Dash 9 and Class 66) you can try to push them around smaller radius curves and they may well go, on their own, but tether a car behind them and, depending on the loco coupler set-up and the car coupler, they could have distinct problems dragging the cars off the rails.
Both Greg and PaulRhB have a wealth of experience of running G scale locos, and that includes US diesels of the types being talked about here.

I suspect though, that they use them very differently, and thus their experiences may well be different.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Going back to the plot does anyone think there is any prospect of this GP60 model ever being made?

28 Jul 2020
California
Best answers
I saw on another forum that the model was supposed to be revealed at the National Garden Railway Convention in Nashville. This is all just speculation because Accucraft hasn't said anything about it for a while.

Last edited:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Both Greg and PaulRhB have a wealth of experience of running G scale locos, and that includes US diesels of the types being talked about here.

I suspect though, that they use them very differently, and thus their experiences may well be different.
Yeah I go with that ..I have only been running long diesels since 2006, so practically a novice then...;):devil:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Youngsters! Pah!! ;):p:D:D

To be fair......

Has anyone thought of actually asking Accucraft directly? :wondering:

Oh! And with so much thread drift..... I had thought Chris might post his bit of fun video? ;):giggle::giggle:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
From a 2018 Accucraft advert...http://www.accucraft.com/modelc/G801-01.htm#page=page-1

Specifications:
Scale / Gauge - 1:29 / 45 mm
Construction - Rugged plastic body
Mini. Radius - 5 ft.
Length - 25.98 in. (660 mm)
Width - 4.76 in. (120.8 mm)
Height - 6.67 in. (169.5 mm)

So, it's scaled to match the Aristocraft/USA Trains scale of 1/29th and needs a minimum of 5ft radius track - that's 10ft diameter, in case of doubt.

Last edited:

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure everyone is bored with my drifting video by now. It was of course a serious experiment to test just how much the bogies on a GP will swivel.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Well it always passes the 'smile test' here..

Now.. AC, when Tyseley is open.. A former BBC colleague has a britititish diesel. - I wonder how far the bogies on that can swivel?! :devil::devil: