Any advice please on suitable Sound Decoders for Bachmann K27 and Lyn 2-4-2

Duntourin

Registered
11 Jan 2018
Auburn Washington
Best answers
Hi all

I have recently purchased a mighty Bachmann K-27 in Fn3 scale and the Bachmann Baldwin 2-4-2 "Lyn"
Please could I tap the collective knowledge of the forum members for their recommendations
for the best sound decoders to fit to these locomotives.
I am not very DCC savvy, so really looking for an "off the shelf" solution with regard to any programming
of the decoders. I can get a grip on the wiring I think, I juts want the decoders to work out of the box.
Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received. I recently bought the Bachmann Climax that came equipped with a Soundtrax Sound decoder fitted and worked beautifully out of the box,
and sounds very impressive to me.

thanks
Andy

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Massoth XLS, part No. 8210300. for the K27 - digital recordings of the actual K27.
They dont have the actual recordings for Lyn but I would suggest the Spreewald - Part 8210074.
Any good dealer will set up the sounds and address CVs for you in advance - included in the price.

Try Mark, here - Massoth eMotion XLS Sound Decoder

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
I equipped my LYN with Uhlenbrock
> DCC decoder 77100 (3 Amps, SUSI-interface, just minimal programming for max speed & loco address) LINK to the englisch manual
> Intellisound 4 with "universal 1" Steam sound. The various sound volumes can individually be adjusted, if necessary. LINK to the english manual

LYN's existing chuff trigger can directly be connected to the sound module to synchronize the chuffs.

Andreas

p.s. I also own a Bachmann CLIMAX fully equipped - and since then I 'm thinking about retrofitting all my sound modules & decoders with the Bachmann AE32023 sound board, just the import taxes hinder me...

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Massoth XLS, part No. 8210300. for the K27 - digital recordings of the actual K27.
They dont have the actual recordings for Lyn but I would suggest the Spreewald - Part 8210074.
Any good dealer will set up the sounds and address CVs for you in advance - included in the price.

Try Mark, here - Massoth eMotion XLS Sound Decoder
I have a Massoth XLS in my K27, generally good but the sound isn’t very loud outdoors and I have never been able to get lights or flickering firebox.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Try the Zimo decoder, 10 watts audio and very loud using a 4 ohm large speaker like the FRS8 by visiton.
You need to know that audio wattage ratings can be for a 4 ohm speaker and if you use the 8 ohm speaker you will not get the full audio power.
Read the specs very carefully!!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Massoth XLS in my K27, generally good but the sound isn’t very loud outdoors and I have never been able to get lights or flickering firebox.
The XLS will be as load as you make it. A different speaker may help but have you got all the volumes up. It is quite capable of driving flickering firebox and lights - I would suggest it is not installed as fully as it can be.

Reactions: 1 user

mrcheddar

American Railroads, Swiss Railways, Travel
15 Mar 2013
Burgdorf, Switzerland
Best answers
Country flag
I have the Zimo MX697 in both of my K-27s. It plugs right in to the Bachmann socket in the tender. The installation could not be easier.
I use the Zimo sound recorded from a prototype by Heinz Däppen. It sounds great!

Reactions: 1 user

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
The XLS will be as load as you make it. A different speaker may help but have you got all the volumes up. It is quite capable of driving flickering firebox and lights - I would suggest it is not installed as fully as it can be.
It was professionally installed and I suspect it was “toned down” despite being fitted with the best available Verizon speaker. Sadly, the loco has now developed a fault, I have sound but no movement. I suspect a gearing failure, it is on is way back for repair and a possible traction tyre mod. Surprisingly, my Annies with their effectively 4-4-0 configuration, the centre drivers do not touch the track, can pull more axles than the K27!

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Duntourin

Registered
11 Jan 2018
Auburn Washington
Best answers
thanks all...I ended up with the Phoenix SM18. On the whole am happy with it.
Not so much Phoenix issue I think as some random Chinese wiring on the K27,
but I had to play seek/find/reprogram on the Marker lights, Cab light and smokebox flicker.
The sound is very good - and controllable up and down volume wise.
The headlight works by default I feel as I still haven't located a CV value for the headlight that
works on the locomotive let alone assigned it anywhere. Currently its on - but a very dim - 15 or 20% glow.
Sound effects all work on the function buttons as set out on the SM18 paperwork.
So the current unresolved issues are
1) Headlight brightness and where the heck its CV value is
2) Smoke....tried seek/find with this and cant get anything to happen at all.

(I have limited myself to only an hour a day tinkering with the K27 or it will drive me nuts!)

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
did you hook up the chuff trigger or are you on autochuff?

Please let us know how it works out, the specs give a very limited current output.

does F0 at least turn the headlight on and off?

Greg

Duntourin

Registered
11 Jan 2018
Auburn Washington
Best answers
Hey Greg
The Piko Navigator has no F0.....
F1 - 18 only
Just pressing the 9 button on the handset will activate the headlight at around 15%..
This isn't F9 - as thats allocated to the blow down sound....... there is a 0 button...but that cant be activated as F0..!!
Don't know why Piko had to go and make things so confusing but hey ho.

So the 9 button turns the headlight off and on (because its the RGS 455 K27 there is no tender light).

The chuff - is from the optical sensors in the K27. I had to take off a bridging connector on the decoder itself
to activate that function.

I think next stop is Phoenix themselves and see what they have to say.
Would like to sort his out as I have another K27 waiting in the wings !!
Andy

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The 9 button clearly is sending the f0 command wow... goofy. The manual says the 9 button is the light function key.

Since the light goes on and off on the Phoenix decoder, I think that issue is settled.

What is the common voltage for the lights?

Maybe the existing LED is set for track voltage and maybe the common on the Phoenix is 5v.

I'd hook a led with a 1k resistor to the headlight "output" and the common on the board... that would verify the decoder function.

Greg