Another Playmobil Diesel Transformation. This time a Baby Kamel.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
Gizzy,
Your wish is my command:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=playmobil+train+set&sprefix=playmobil+train%2Caps%2C171&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aplaymobil+train+set

You need to scroll down a bit for the Swiss set.
JonD
That's a Lego one Jon, not Playmo....

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
All I get when searching for Playmobil 7938 is a Lego train. Funny that... It has infrared control, so no good outside.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
There is a Playmobil 4010 RC cargo set even further down, but that set is £275! :mad:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ooops sorry guys, old git syndrome strikes again!!! What confused me (easy these days) as Phil Says there is a Cargo Set further down. This Loco has been paired with a Kind of Swiss Panoramic Coach. Thought that the Lego one was that. Price was probably too good to be true!
JonD

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
I just bought the little diesel set for 70euros in my local shop. Couldn't resist such a low price.

Robert Howard

Registered
1 Feb 2014
Derby UK
Best answers
I picked up a couple of these as matching carriages:

http://www.playmobil.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-GB-Site/en_GB/Product-Show?pid=6342&showSpareParts=false&cgid=#q=Train&start=7

Might bash into something else in the future but for now great for the kids to play with :)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
palmerston said:
I just bought the little diesel set for 70euros in my local shop. Couldn't resist such a low price.
That sounds like a superb deal, enjoy.

Those coaches are very Swiss like, I reckon a repaint or even just some decent Swiss Style Lettering and they look pretty good. At £27 a pop not too bad value.
JonD

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
That sounds like a superb deal, enjoy.

Those coaches are very Swiss like, I reckon a repaint or even just some decent Swiss Style Lettering and they look pretty good. At £27 a pop not too bad value.
JonD
Strange how our perceptions are different..

Don't bat an eyelid at £135 for an LGB coach, but thought £27 for a 'Playmobil toy' was expensive. ::)

I suppose it is the thought of the target market, perhaps?? - Mind you, I guess the Playmobil item has to be even more 'bullet-proof' than the LGB offering, knowing how 'little Johnny' treats his toys! ;)

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting project,smart little loco,its got me thinking,,,mmmmmmmm,could I americanize one,food for thought,thanks for posting Jon:) ;)

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I can't find where to start my post so I'll begin it here.

I have been reading the conversion of the Playmobil Yellow r/c diesel with interest but a lack of ability. I have a small Inglenook-type shunting puzzle layout but I would like my locomotive to be smooth running.

Fitting 5 instead of 6 batteries has helped but only slightly.

Would a member of this site be willing to fit the diodes etc, please?

I'm not interested in any other work just having the locomotive run smoothly is sufficient for my needs. All expenses paid.

Thank you

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Sarah,
By 'smooth running' do you mean slower overall, or a little more controllable? - They do tend to go from stationary, to a little fast.

I could fit diodes for you, but am in Nottingham, and believe you are down near the south coast? - There may be someone who is closer. :wondering:

PhilP

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Sarah,
By 'smooth running' do you mean slower overall, or a little more controllable? - They do tend to go from stationary, to a little fast.

I could fit diodes for you, but am in Nottingham, and believe you are down near the south coast? - There may be someone who is closer. :wondering:

PhilP
Hello Philp

Yes, I am near Christchurch in Dorset.

It's the going from stationary to a little fast I am trying to eliminate. The grey knob on the controller moves in steps instead of a smooth transition. I accept even if the knob did turn smoothly that wouldn't eliminate the "steps" when the locomotive moves.

From what I've read the diodes are necessary. I don't understand the electrical side of it just that fitting the diodes should give me what I want.

Do I order any kind of diode or is there a part number you could advise me of, please? Do they have to be soldered into the existing circuitry?

I'm sure with a little help I could effect a solution to my needs.
Thank you,

Sarah Winfield

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
From what I've read the diodes are necessary. I don't understand the electrical side of it just that fitting the diodes should give me what I want.

Do I order any kind of diode or is there a part number you could advise me of, please? Do they have to be soldered into the existing circuitry?

Thank you,
Hi Sarah,
If you can wield a soldering iron, you should be able to fit the diodes..
I bought a boxful, and will never use them all, so can let you have some.

The most difficult part, is getting the loco apart.
You really want the diodes in the wires to the motors, not to everything (input) as doing that can cause reception problems. - They don't like low batteries, and having removed one, you don't want to reduce the input voltage anymore.

The diodes I have are quite chunky, but this means that they will cope with the power they need to dissipate.

If you want to have a go, PM me. - Click on my name, at the top of this post, and you can start a 'conversation'..

PhilP

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Philp

Yes, I am near Christchurch in Dorset.

It's the going from stationary to a little fast I am trying to eliminate. The grey knob on the controller moves in steps instead of a smooth transition. I accept even if the knob did turn smoothly that wouldn't eliminate the "steps" when the locomotive moves.

Thank you,

Sarah Winfield
Pulling these apart is a bit of a task, meant to be kid friendly in that regard.Thinking things through a little, by use of a screwdriver then shoving one of those plant labels to stop the tab clicking back in could be a good solution. From memory there are multiple tabs to release to get the top off hence the plant label option. Stiff plasticard or small metal strips could work just as well. As for the diode setup, PaulRhB PaulRhB ‘s article is somewhere in here, will try hunting for it and put the link in here.

Aha found it. But sadly looks like the thread pics have been removed. However his Flikr pages very interesting, not found the PM Mod pics but may be in his Workbench Album of 800 pictures, not ventured into that.

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Both,
Depending on what Sarah decides to do..
I have the diagram..

I could even solder it up, so just two connections to make.

PhilP

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
A
Pulling these apart is a bit of a task, meant to be kid friendly in that regard.Thinking things through a little, by use of a screwdriver then shoving one of those plant labels to stop the tab clicking back in could be a good solution. From memory there are multiple tabs to release to get the top off hence the plant label option. Stiff plasticard or small metal strips could work just as well. As for the diode setup, PaulRhB PaulRhB ‘s article is somewhere in here, will try hunting for it and put the link in here.

Aha found it. But sadly looks like the thread pics have been removed. However his Flikr pages very interesting, not found the PM Mod pics but may be in his Workbench Album of 800 pictures, not ventured into that.

All in hand with PhilP. However, I now have another problem. With both the locomotive and controller switched on and everything working, lights, horn, and engine sound my locomotive doesn't move. I, unfortunately, don't have any instructions but seem to think I read somewhere about syncing the controller to the locomotive. Will you help also, please? Thank you

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A

All in hand with PhilP. However, I now have another problem. With both the locomotive and controller switched on and everything working, lights, horn, and engine sound my locomotive doesn't move. I, unfortunately, don't have any instructions but seem to think I read somewhere about syncing the controller to the locomotive. Will you help also, please? Thank you
This may work, Sarah.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I have copied out these details. However, on page 14 there are 3 problems listed. Unfortunately, the on the list of causes half of the wording doesn't show. Could you please quote the full probable causes wording please? Thank you again.