Another Playmobil Diesel Transformation. This time a Baby Kamel.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have copied out these details. However, on page 14 there are 3 problems listed. Unfortunately, the on the list of causes half of the wording doesn't show. Could you please quote the full probable causes wording please? Thank you again.
It's continued on the left hand side of page 15. It had me fooled at first; not Playmobil at its brightest and most customer friendly!

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I have copied out these details. However, on page 14 there are 3 problems listed. Unfortunately, the on the list of causes half of the wording doesn't show. Could you please quote the full probable causes wording please? Thank you again.
Well, I have followed the instructions but still my locomotive won't move. This has been the story of my life. If I ever commit suicide the reason given will be a misadventure.

It just seems to me that some people are destined to spend their life being disappointed.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
What else might it be, please?

I seem to have done everything but still, I can't get my locomotive to move.

Members' thoughts would be appreciated, please.

Thank you,

Sarah Winfield

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
What else might it be, please?

I seem to have done everything but still, I can't get my locomotive to move.

Members' thoughts would be appreciated, please.

Thank you,

Sarah Winfield
I suppose it might be the battery in the controller. I'm not convinced but have bought 2 new ones anyway

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
From my experience of PM Trains they can be quite temperamental to low battery state. Even though you may be getting noises from the loco there may just not be enough power in the loco battery to get it moving.

Reactions: 1 user

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
T
From my experience of PM Trains they can be quite temperamental to low battery state. Even though you may be getting noises from the loco there may just not be enough power in the loco battery to get it moving.
Thank you. I'm just not good at handling situations I'm not in control of. Is there a way of telling whether a battery is still functionable. I understand it can register a voltage but in fact have no power, (Elementary my dear wattage)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Do you have one of those battery tester? I was testing a PM train the other day Nd the motor would not move with 3 of the 4 batteries only reading around 1v rather than 1.5. The loco made receiving signal noises but refused to move till new batteries fitted to both Transmitter and Reciever. These are less than a £5 form Amazon. I have had a similar beast for years now and would not be without it.

Nartel® LED Digital Battery Tester​

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
A

All in hand with PhilP. However, I now have another problem. With both the locomotive and controller switched on and everything working, lights, horn, and engine sound my locomotive doesn't move. I, unfortunately, don't have any instructions but seem to think I read somewhere about syncing the controller to the locomotive. Will you help also, please? Thank you
If the sounds and lights work when pressing the controller, then the Tx / Rx must be linked, so syncing is not the issue, batteries must be in correctly, I assume there is enough power in them, so can you hear the motor turn.
The other thing could be dirty contacts in the Tx.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sarah, do you possess a meter already?

The little PP3 batteries, are a very small 'bucket' to hold charge..
Measure the voltage of the transmitter battery (if you can do it with the transmitter switched on, so much the better) if it is less than 8V (just the battery) or perhaps 7.5V if measured in the transmitter (switched on) then it is probably too low.

You say you are running the train with one less battery? - Presumably to slow it down a little?
If so, give the batteries you are using a charge. Leave them for a couple of hours (they will be warm) and charge them again.
Then try them in your loco.. It could be that by running with one less battery, you are running into low voltage issues sooner.

PhilP

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for your replies.

I did have a battery tester which has unfortunately gone AWOL. I thought it only measured volts which I understand is not a measure of power. Anyway, I'll invest in a new one.

In the locomotive I am using rechargeable batteries 1.2v 2400mAh and a PP3 in the controller. I have ordered a couple of new PP3's and always try to keep the rechargeable batteries topped up.

I'll wait delivery of my new batteries and hope that solves my problem.

Sorry to be such a nuisance.

Last edited:

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Your not a nuisance, you'll probably find someone else out there has a similar question and you've just helped them get the answer.

I always tell graduates and trainees the only daft question is the one you didn't ask.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Your not a nuisance, you'll probably find someone else out there has a similar question and you've just helped them get the answer.

I always tell graduates and trainees the only daft question is the one you didn't ask.
You are very kind but I know what I am!

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
If the sounds don't turn on and off with the controller buttons, then it needs to be synced by pressing the appropriate buttons on the loco and controller(however the buttons on that controller can have a tendency to get stuck and stop functioning until the little rubber buttons are wiggled sufficiently). If the controller light does not come on, then the battery connection in the controller is the problem; in that case it could be that battery leakage interferes with the connection so that the contacts need to be cleaned, or the contact is bent to not receive a connection, or the battery is the problem . A likely problem is a low battery in either the controller or the loco. Other possibilities include a bad controller (i.e. a problem with the potentiometer of the speed knob), and bad gears in the loco(unlikely since there are two motors with their own gears in that loco).

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for your replies.

I did have a battery tester which has unfortunately gone AWOL. I thought it only measured volts which I understand is not a measure of power. Anyway, I'll invest in a new one.

In the locomotive I am using rechargeable batteries 1.2v 2400mAh and a PP3 in the controller. I have ordered a couple of new PP3's and always try to keep the rechargeable batteries topped up.

I'll wait delivery of my new batteries and hope that solves my problem.

Sorry to be such a nuisance.
Yes indeed while Amps are very relevant, I find that a battery in the 1.0v range each will be an issue for getting the PM diesel receiver to function correctly. I have a similar problem with my Crest Radio Transmitters that will be an issue with 2 of the 3 batteries only reading 1.0v.