Anglicize a Stainz

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bought a Stainz to anglicize not sure which to bash now the 20212 the one I bought to bash from evil-bay or the original 2020 I had ? the new 20212 everything works surprisingly as it was a good price. image below shows what it might get turned into :)

Stainz Bash.jpg

38thfoot

Grand dreams; limited talent
19 Nov 2013
Hazel Grove, S Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Ge Rik has made a really nice conversion and Graham Freestone did a conversion on mine extending the side tanks etc.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Anybody know where you can get round cap windows from ?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks not sure weather to modify the existing cab or make a new one yet, Think I am going to bash the older 2020 version as it has some tatty bits to it and a couple of repairs to the front pipe work, so that cab has the raised LGB logo and number on it rather than transfers / printed like the newer version and the LGB and number has to go :)
It might be easier to make a cab from scratch with round windows the back two are a bit low to add what I want on the back of the cab. Found the swiftsixteen Spectacle-Window-Set but they are 28mm dia overall so too big. Then started to think what else uses round windows and had a look at model boat portholes at 16mm dia they are just a brass flange on the back of a brass tube so would probably look correct (never seen a real steam engine cab inside closeup ) and they come glazed or UN-glased. time to buy some card and do a mock-up of a replacement cab I think. I have drawn it in 3d today so have an idea of the changes that's needed now.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have wondered if cutting the bunker off the front of the cab, and moving them forward, would make 'side tanks' a simpler possibility??
My thinking is the curves on the front of the tanks would already be there.. Slab-sides (and top) should be easier to fabricate..

To those who do this sort of thing..
What sort of thickness plasticard do you use? - Less than 1.5mm seems too flimsy, to me.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a sample pack of diff thickness and 2mm seams quite rigid and yes the 1.5mm does seam to flex more so think it will be the 2mm.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks not sure weather to modify the existing cab or make a new one yet, Think I am going to bash the older 2020 version as it has some tatty bits to it and a couple of repairs to the front pipe work, so that cab has the raised LGB logo and number on it rather than transfers / printed like the newer version and the LGB and number has to go :)
It might be easier to make a cab from scratch with round windows the back two are a bit low to add what I want on the back of the cab. Found the swiftsixteen Spectacle-Window-Set but they are 28mm dia overall so too big. Then started to think what else uses round windows and had a look at model boat portholes at 16mm dia they are just a brass flange on the back of a brass tube so would probably look correct (never seen a real steam engine cab inside closeup ) and they come glazed or UN-glased. time to buy some card and do a mock-up of a replacement cab I think. I have drawn it in 3d today so have an idea of the changes that's needed now.

Have you tried Glendale Junction? They sell lamp glasses and frames which might work, assuming I've understood what you're after.

Reactions: 1 user

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I found these model Boat portholes 16mm dia pack of 10 Brass with plexe fitted. £6.50 plus delivery might be worth a shot, found a few images on the net from inside the cab looking out of round windows ? or what ever the correct name is and they look like Portholes :)

34400.jpg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
What's the best way to remove the driver figure from the red base ? no idea what this one is stuck with but there is no way he is going to just pull off, looks like it's the original factory glue what ever they used back then :) what would release the glue without removing the paint from the figure or damaging the plastic he is stuck too ?

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Send for Mr Lump Hammer......

$_35[1].jpg

David

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
A soak in warm soapy water works it softens up the glue enough that it came off with a small blade under him to prize it off, now just left with the residue that looks like impact adhesive or glue for a hot glue gun.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
The 20212 I bought is in too good a condition to Bash so decided to bash the 2020 version, after looking on the nett at conversions, there seems to be two ways most have done it have a longer tank that follows the original height of what exists looks like the easiest way to do it as below, mock-up made out of foam board.

Train 20-05-2017.jpg

The harder way have a full depth tank the same depth as the cab, more work... again mock-up out of foam board.

Train 20-05-2017-2.jpg

The Images I have found where a coal basket has been added to the back of the cab they have cut the red chassis to add extra length so the bottom sits on the chassis, adding it adds around 10mm to the chassis and 20mm to the overall length of the engine but another 20mm overhang on the back end looks like it should be a 0-6-0 not a 0-4-0 so not sure about adding that bit now.

Next need to decided which looks better short tank or taller tank ?

Reactions: 3 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The 20212 I bought is in too good a condition to Bash so decided to bash the 2020 version, after looking on the nett at conversions, there seems to be two ways most have done it have a longer tank that follows the original height of what exists looks like the easiest way to do it as below, mock-up made out of foam board.

View attachment 223249

The harder way have a full depth tank the same depth as the cab, more work... again mock-up out of foam board.

View attachment 223250

The Images I have found where a coal basket has been added to the back of the cab they have cut the red chassis to add extra length so the bottom sits on the chassis, adding it adds around 10mm to the chassis and 20mm to the overall length of the engine but another 20mm overhang on the back end looks like it should be a 0-6-0 not a 0-4-0 so not sure about adding that bit now.

View attachment 223249

View attachment 223250

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good already! How about a small coal basket on top of the side tank(s)?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Decided on doing the deeper side tank version as it will probably look more in keeping so time to order some sheet styrene to make the tanks :) So far soaking this driver in warm water hasn't softened the glue under his feet :( worked on the other one this one might need a big hammer :). The windows in the cab are glued in as well unlike the other where they clipped in , but they have to come out one way or another.

Not decided what to add on top the side tanks yet , probably ought to look where they keep the coal if there was no basket on the back of the cab.

38thfoot

Grand dreams; limited talent
19 Nov 2013
Hazel Grove, S Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I think you've made the right choice ref length of tanks and the lower footplate.

Would it look better with the tank extended to be level with the smoke box and the smoke box wrapper base (think that's the right term) extended to the footplate to mask where you can see the red chunk of the chassis?

I obviously offer this advice as a modelling dunce who would lose most of his fingers in the process of cutting the components!

Last edited:

merlin

Model (all scales) & 12":1'
17 Jan 2013
Somerset (occasionally in Spain)
Best answers
Country flag
For what it's worth, I have to agree with the previous comment; low footplate and extended tank.