Rob

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Liverpool
www.flickr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Good evening!

Unfortunately, not a lot happens at the CWLR over winter (usually because our garden becomes a mud bath!) and I switch to smaller scales. However, this winter sees us refurbishing our loft prior to the start of a new 009 project (I had hoped to start a few weeks ago but hey ho)

To scratch the modelling itch, I’ve been busy in the paint shop, giving some attention to No.9, my LGB 2095, which I bought last year with the intention of making it a little more... British looking.

After much deliberation on which livery to paint it, I settled on Reverse Two Tone Green, As applied to the class 29s in Scotland. For me, it’s by far the best application of BR green there was.
WQAzM2a.jpg

The first job, however, was to give the cabs some attention. These have been painted and the original central control wheel has been repurposed and rearranged as a class 50 style powerhandle. A swift16 vacuum brake controller is on its way and will be fitted on the left hand side of the driving position.
DFcfoR2.jpg

Once the rest of the loco was stripped and primed (what a nightmare it was to get the windows out!), the next job was yellow warning panels and Sherwood green upper bodywork.
FQfA7Hb.jpg

Followed by the Brunswick green lower bodywork. I’ve noticed this is a little thin in a couple of places, so will apply another coat in a few days. Luckily I won’t need half a mile of masking tape this time!
4vscTRL.jpg

GaTA1oB.jpg

eIzroZT.jpg

Other than that, all that’s left is the white body stripe, and possibly a light weather.

Hope you like!
Rob

Reactions: 12 users

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I've always thought the whizzycranks would be a good start for a class 73, apart from the front windows (3 panels not 2). It even has the electrical pickup shoes. Nicely done.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice! It looks to me like an electro-diesel class 73, and none the worse fro that!
That's a good shot of the 73 - people often get the wrong colour green, as Lima infamously did with their 00 model.

It's the same green as BR Southern Region coaching stock :nod::nod::nod:

That piccy also clearly shows the thick white line at the bottom, and also if you look closely, the silver checker plate under the driver's doors.

Remember that you don't need third rail for it to run (as in that picture) a reduced power output was available from its on-board diesel generator :nod::nod::nod:

Nice piccy of a superb loco :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Reactions: 1 user

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
O that's nice... Very nice

Rob

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Liverpool
www.flickr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice! It looks to me like an electro-diesel class 73, and none the worse for that!

Thanks! Well, class 73s are one of my favourites (we had a few knocking around the Merseyrail network when I was a kid!). I think that's why I've always liked the 2095s!

Yes I've always thought the whizzycranks would be a good start for a class 73, apart from the front windows (3 panels not 2). It even has the electrical pickup shoes. Nicely done.

Absolutely! This one will be RC when it's finished, so no Pick up shoes unfortunately!

That's a good shot of the 73 - people often get the wrong colour green, as Lima infamously did with their 00 model.

It's the same green as BR Southern Region coaching stock :nod::nod::nod:

That piccy also clearly shows the thick white line at the bottom, and also if you look closely, the silver checker plate under the driver's doors.

Remember that you don't need third rail for it to run (as in that picture) a reduced power output was available from its on-board diesel generator :nod::nod::nod:

Nice piccy of a superb loco :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Malachite Green I believe? It's definitely more of a 'bottle green' than Brunswick green.

O that's nice... Very nice

Thanks Mike!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks! Well, class 73s are one of my favourites (we had a few knocking around the Merseyrail network when I was a kid!). I think that's why I've always liked the 2095s!

Absolutely! This one will be RC when it's finished, so no Pick up shoes unfortunately!

Malachite Green I believe? It's definitely more of a 'bottle green' than Brunswick green.

Thanks Mike!
No, Southern Region green was not Malachite (I thought) - it was SR green :devil::devil:

I always thought that Malachite was the Southern green, approaching LNER apple green :think: although when you google malachite :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh, I dunno :tmi:

Rob

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Liverpool
www.flickr.com
Best answers
Country flag
A bit more progress today.

First job was to give it a second coat of Brunswick Green. Unfortunately pulling the masking tape off afterwards pulled a bit of paint off each of the outer windscreen pillars where they curve round onto the body sides. Sod’s law dictated that I’d already cleaned the airbrush when this happened!

Whilst I had the airbrush going I painted the chassis, meaning the whole loco is now in its final colours. Black Solebar, red bufferbeams and red rods;

h8tUbQS.jpg

qMm9mMv.jpg

Please excuse the wires sticking out, these are the feeds from the motor block.

I’ve also added a streak of black around the exhaust port on the roof;

mwB1uS2.jpg

My order from Swift 16 also arrived, meaning I could fit the Vacuum Brake control in the cab;

ktuPsIl.jpg
rhhjhhhg)

I’ve still got to do that white stripe....

Reactions: 7 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Are you going to leave the coupling rods on?

Rob

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Liverpool
www.flickr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Slow progress due to being in work, but over the last few days I’ve fitted Lamp Irons and started the detail painting.

Fir1PYL.jpg

White stripes (nerve wracking!) and number plates completed.....

RpPcFg1.jpg

Next is a coat of varnish.... need to do a test piece first though.

Reactions: 2 users

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Awsum job matey

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It's the canine's testicles.

David

Reactions: 1 users

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent! A very good job Sir.

Of course now you have to weather it. Oil streaks, dust... you know the drill!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Quite believable, as a 'something I just can't place' model.. :clap::clap:

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Mutt's nuts, pooch's particulars, it's all the same! A good-looking loco:sunglasses: