Android Devices As Throttles

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Erm not sure about Apple / Massoth stuff and connectivity but the 'centre' hub uses Decoder Pro which is a free download for Macs as well as PCs. A connection via a Sprog Nano into a USB may be a possibilty?
Can you see how it took me so long to work out now Gareth!!!!

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Massoth 1200z and also a Sprog III. with the Mac version of Decoder Pro.
But obviously the power supply that came with the sprog is pretty low in amps so only small locos could be used.
Colin, how have you connected up your larger power supply, central station with the PC (the Windoze emulator will allow the same connections etc for Mac)

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
shropshire lad said:
Erm not sure about Apple / Massoth stuff and connectivity but the 'centre' hub uses Decoder Pro which is a free download for Macs as well as PCs. A connection via a Sprog Nano into a USB may be a possibilty?
Can you see how it took me so long to work out now Gareth!!!!

Yes mate. Wasn't a criticism just an observation.

I remember you telling me about your plans for this on the way to Cogges's open day in 2011 I think. It was just voices in yer head at the time.

Nice to see it become a reality.

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Cheers Gareth, it was taken in the spirit it was intended. I can run trains using this phone but can't always add smiley faces to posts!
Technology eh!

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Colin
You might have missed me post (25). How have you linked up your equipment including the track power supply?

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Your track connections from your 1200z stay the same Mike. You add a connection between,in your case, your Mac and your 1200z.
Decoder Pro then effectively becomes an additional controller from which you can run trains directly or via wifi using Wi throttle.

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Ah a post of mine has gone awol!
I used a Lenz usb interface, but I think the Massoth PC module will do the same job. Maybe Mark (Muns) can confirm that?

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
I haven't looked to be honest Cliff which is why I suggested checking with Mark. The Sprog Nano I mentioned has no power output, it is simply a means of connecting a DCC booster to a Usb port.
My control kit is Lenz although I use Navigators with it!

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
I can't imagine you would run your whole layout via a SPROG Mike!
Little did I think that Cliff! I was supposing that somehow the Sprog must be 'interpreting' the instructions from the Wi software on the iphone and that would then tell the Mac to contact the Massoth 1200Z.
But as you say JMRI does not seem to support Massoth !200Z so bang goes that one any way!
The sprog unit could be used to power a small loco as it can work as a central station but it would be cool to use it just to see the Wi stuff working...yes I know you have been there, seen the film, read the book and got the Tshirt but for us 'little' techie folk any new road is a fascinating one...well it is for me.......

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
shropshire lad said:
Ah a post of mine has gone awol!
I used a Lenz usb interface, but I think the Massoth PC module will do the same job. Maybe Mark (Muns) can confirm that?

The Massoth PC module does not do the same job.

All Massoth Central stations have a PC interface (Serial, USB or both) for connection to a computer (for train control/programming/firmware updates).

I believe Cliff is correct, JMRI does not interface to Massoth Central Stations. I am not sure if Massoth will release the protocol to the open source community for JMRI use and as a licensee of the protocol I am unable to disclose it (NDA).

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
I believe Cliff is correct, JMRI does not interface to Massoth Central Stations. I am not sure if Massoth will release the protocol to the open source community for JMRI use and as a licensee of the protocol I am unable to disclose it (NDA).
Hi mark
Yes , Massoth is notable by its absence from the list of manufacturers that JRMI software works with. Even ESU are in there and although Lenz is not listed, Colin uses Lenz and that is obviously compatible as well.
Maybe Massoth will follow everyone else or are they worried that the protocol will be cloned or used by competitors?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I was sitting on the side wondering when the question of how to do this with Massoth gear would come up. I'd be able to do this with my NCE gear and JMRI (much the same way as I've had a little Netbook running the line over WiFi).

I wonder if anyone's ever used a DCC booster to further beef up the output from a SPROG - that would give things a bit more oooomph!

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
shropshire lad said:
Cheers Gareth, it was taken in the spirit it was intended. I can run trains using this phone but can't always add smiley faces to posts!
Technology eh!

Classic :rofl::rofl:

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
I was sitting on the side wondering when the question of how to do this with Massoth gear would come up. I'd be able to do this with my NCE gear and JMRI (much the same way as I've had a little Netbook running the line over WiFi).

I wonder if anyone's ever used a DCC booster to further beef up the output from a SPROG - that would give things a bit more oooomph!
Just had a look Nick, and Sprog do a Sprog III which is a 2.5 amp output or you can buy a booster to make a Sprog II be able to also handle 2.5amps. Not as much as a 'BIG' booster but still usable for a couple or three of small amp-draw locos or maybe one or two medium ones!

Apparently you can use multiple sprog boosters as long as the power supply can handle multiples of the 2.5amps....

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
I was sitting on the side wondering when the question of how to do this with Massoth gear would come up.

Use RocRail:

http://wiki.rocrail.net

It's open source, free, supports Massoth, has handheld apps, and just for Mike apparently works on a MAC.

I was wondered when a real use for a Rasberry Pi would come up!

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
What happens if somebody rings offering to sort out your PPI claim whilst you are shunting your train ? :rofl::rofl:
Seriously thats very clever & good idea !

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
For iOS (iPods, iPads) in combination with Lenz or ESU you can also use Touchcab - in this case you do not need a computer, just an Ethernet interface to link your iPod/iPad to your DCC set-up via a WiFi router:

http://www.touchcab.com/ I use b...nd the Lenz Ethernet interface - works great.