And I Eat My Own Words...

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Oddball it might be, but it's still a good-looking locomotive. My Bachmann ten-wheeler with the all-metal Baker valve gear has never let me down since the day I bought it, almost twenty years ago. I'm even thinking about putting r/c in it and a decent sound system - any recommendations in that respect would be would appreciated.
The Mylocosound card is pretty good with a number of sound variations, bells and whistles (yes genuinely) and not overly expensive. It works well with the Annie chuff trigger.

The only drawback that I have come across is that Bachmann locos do not draw enough current for the re-chargeable PP3 9v battery to re-charge.

I've tried to overcome this by using a voltage step-up unit set at 18v. I haven't used the loco since I installed it, so can't report on the success or otherwise.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,Tac! Go here for some great advise on the Bachmann 4-6-0: Bachmann Forum The fellows on there are some of the most knowledgeable people on the planet when it comes to the Bachmann line of trains.
Andrew

Thanks, I've been on the bachmanntrains.com forum for around twelve years now. There ARE some very knowledgeable people there, including one collector who has every detail of every Bachmann product at his fingertips. I also have three Shays [one is the three-truck version], a Connie and a Heisler, and a few of the appropriate cars. Problem is that living most of the time here in UK means that spares for the 1/20.3 stuff are non-existent, although thankishly, I was able to replace the centre gear on my Connie from NWSL, and not have to rely on Bachmann Europe. My query was really about sound systems, with everybody seeming to bad-mouth everybody else's choice.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, 5 minutes now and still giggling about Tac getting advise to visit Bachmann forum for info... is there a forum you have not been on Tac?

Andrew, TAC has been around the block a few times and then some....

All in good humor...

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have yet to join the Edsel hub cap collectors' group of Qooqamonga MD.

Oh, hold on, I WAS on it but got kicked off for saying something rude about the Edsel styling..............

Reactions: 2 users

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, Tac. My bad.I don't remember seeing you there over the last 4 years,or so, that I've been on the board.But I can't think of anybody more knowledgeable than L.B. there. He's answered more questions than anybody else , and like you said, he has knowledge about practially everything Bachmann.I'd like to get my hands on his database! LOL! So,unless you have a different handle that you use there,I wasn't aware of your presence on the Bachmann board. I use the same handle on all 3 G Scale boards that I'm on myself. That way, I avoid any confusion with other websites. I now have a total of 16 G Scale locomotives that I've collected since 2004. 7 of which are Bachmann. The rest are from other manufacturers. The current list includes:
Bachmann Locomotives:
1. Virginia & Truckee #25 Version 5 Anniversary Chassis (Customized from an Anniversary White Pass #14)
2. Virginia & truckee #26 Version 5 Anniversary Chassis (Customiced with decals from Stan Cedarleaf and using a Blue Comet locomotive as the base unit)
3. Denver & Rio Grande Western #12 (Custom with real wood in tender) Version 5 Anniversary Chassis with new swing arm pilot
4. Denver and Rio Grande #12 Version 5 Anniversary Chassis
5. Santa Fe #51 Version 5 Anniversary Chassis
6. South Pacific Coast #21 Version 5 Anniversary Chassis
7. South Pacific Coast #22 Version 6 Anniversary Chassis
8. Spectrum 4-4-0 South Pacific Coast #3
Hartland Locomotive Works Locomotives:
9. 4-4-0 "Malvina" Pennsylvania #2
10. 4-4-0 "Inyo" Virginia & Truckee #22
LGB Locomotives
11. 2-6-0 Mogul Currently unlettered but numbered as #3 Will be lettered as D&RGW
Piko Locomotives
12. 0-6-0 Santa Fe #728
13. 0-6-0 Reading "Camelback" #1399
Lionel
14. 0-6-0 D&RG #101
15. 0-6-0 D&RGW #68
16. 0-4-0 Pennsylvania #5105
The only reason that I'm on 2 other boards is that my collection of other manufacturers trains has grown, and Bachmann has a policy that ,as I'm sure you're aware of, discourages members from talking about trains from other manufacturers. The only ones that I'll ever really need help with are the LGB and Piko units as I'm very familiar with the workings of the Bachmann 4-6-0 ,and 4-4-0, the HLW 4-4-0, and my Lionel 0-6-0's, as I've taken them all completely apart at various times over the years to restore or upgrade them as needed. As an example, I automatically upgrade any Bachmann standard 4-6-0 to an Anniversary chassis, since I consider their standard chassis( and stainless steel track) to be an inferior product. All my trains are currently ran on Bachmann and/or Aristocraft solid brass track,powered by my my 2 vintage Lionel #4060 1 amp transformers. I'll probably wind up buying a more powerful transformer one day since the LGB Mogul seems to have a higher amp draw than the other manufacturers locomotives that I own. Any suggestions transformer manufacturer/amp wise?
Thanks !

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, Tac. My bad.I don't remember seeing you there over the last 4 years,or so, that I've been on the board.But I can't think of anybody more knowledgeable than L.B. there. He's answered more questions than anybody else , and like you said, he has knowledge about practially everything Bachmann.I'd like to get my hands on his database! LOL! So,unless you have a different handle that you use there,I wasn't aware of your presence on the Bachmann board. I use the same handle on all 3 G Scale boards that I'm on myself. That way, I avoid any confusion with other websites. I now have a total of 16 G Scale locomotives that I've collected since 2004. 7 of which are Bachmann. The rest are from other manufacturers. The current list includes:
Bachmann Locomotives:
1. Virginia & Truckee #25 Version 5 Anniversary Chassis (Customized from an Anniversary White Pass #14)
2. Virginia & truckee #26 Version 5 Anniversary Chassis (Customiced with decals from Stan Cedarleaf and using a Blue Comet locomotive as the base unit)
3. Denver & Rio Grande Western #12 Version 5 Anniversary Chassis(Custom with real wood in tender) Version 5 Anniversary Chassis with new swing arm pilot
4. Denver and Rio Grande #12 Version 5 Anniversary Chassis
5. Santa Fe #51 Version 5 Anniversary Chassis
6. South Pacific Coast #21 Version 5 Anniversary Chassis
7. South Pacific Coast #22 Version 6 Anniversary Chassis
8. Spectrum 4-4-0 South Pacific Coast #3
Hartland Locomotive Works Locomotives:
9. 4-4-0 "Malvina" Pennsylvania #2
10. 4-4-0 "Inyo" Virginia & Truckee #22
LGB Locomotives
11. 2-6-0 Mogul Currently unlettered but numbered as #3 Will be lettered as D&RGW
Piko Locomotives
12. 0-6-0 Santa Fe #728
13. 0-6-0 Reading "Camelback" #1399
Lionel
14. 0-6-0 D&RG #101
15. 0-6-0 D&RGW #168
16. 0-4-0 Pennsylvania #5105
The only reason that I'm on 2 other boards is that my collection of other manufacturers trains has grown, and Bachmann has a policy that ,as I'm sure you're aware of, discourages members from talking about trains from other manufacturers. The only ones that I'll ever really need help with are the LGB and Piko units as I'm very familiar with the workings of the Bachmann 4-6-0 ,and 4-4-0, the HLW 4-4-0, and my Lionel 0-6-0's, as I've taken them all completely apart at various times over the years to restore or upgrade them as needed. As an example, I automatically upgrade any Bachmann standard 4-6-0 to an Anniversary chassis, since I consider their standard chassis( and stainless steel track) to be an inferior product. All my trains are currently ran on Bachmann and/or Aristocraft solid brass track,powered by my my 2 vintage Lionel #4060 1 amp transformers. I'll probably wind up buying a more powerful transformer one day since the LGB Mogul seems to have a higher amp draw than the other manufacturers locomotives that I own. Any suggestions transformer manufacturer/amp wise?
Thanks !
There are a few available but Massoth will give you some serious grunt at a price.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I have yet to join the Edsel hub cap collectors' group of Qooqamonga MD.

Oh, hold on, I WAS on it but got kicked off for saying something rude about the Edsel styling..............
Humourless bunch are they?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
@RkyGrz - quote -
my_normal_post.gif
xx.gif
Best sound system for my old Annie?tac
0​
0​
Today at 06:00:15 AM
by tac

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Andrew:

"As an example, I automatically upgrade any Bachmann standard 4-6-0 to an Anniversary chassis, since I consider their standard chassis( and stainless steel track) to be an inferior product. "

You meant "cheaply plated carbon steel" right? Bachmann has never made stainless steel track.. plastic, brass, and carbon steel..

And yes, Loco Bill is pretty knowledgeable on Bachmann, but there are people that understand the mechanicals to another level (TOC), and I guess you have not seen me post over on the Bachmann forum, but I go there every day. You don't have to post to be knowledgeable ha ha!

Greg

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
I also check every day for new and interesting posts and I see you there every so often. It's a much slower forum where days can go by without any new posts. I should have said steel alloy , which I think is what most people refer to it as. I don't know what it's truly made of, I just know that it's pure fecal mattter as it bends easily and is also prone to rust. Horrible, cheap stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, agreed slower forum, and fairly strictly limited to Bachmann.

The steel track (mild carbon steel) has a thin plating which appears to be tin. Yeah, many people put it outside and it almost dissolves as you watch it.

In their defense, Bachmann never advertised it as "outdoor", but can't count the number of people who have tried it outdoors....

You have quite a collection going there! Keep it up.

Greg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, Aristocraft..............................sigh. What are we going to do with all our locos now? I still have ten of 'em....................so far, all still working very well, but there will come a time, no doubt, when they will be relegated to being Queens of the Shelf.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
TAC there's so much out there that I'm sure there will be parts for a long time.

GLX is making replacement detail parts.

The 2 axle motor blocks are available from Bachmann

It's probably just a matter of time before Kader makes the 3 axle motor blocks for replacements, if not one of the locos itself.

Greg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the up-beat comment, Greg. I know about GLX - he's already made me a few window shades for my Dash 9s and very fine they are, too. I 100% recommend him and his products and hope top meet up with him next time I'm over at Fred's place. Sad to say, my experience with Bachmann USA was somewhat less than helpish, IOW, non-existant, so I went to NWSL instead, who sent me a gear set in less than ten days.