And I Eat My Own Words...

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'd forgotten the Mother Hubbard sobriquet - presumably because the engineer lived in a cupboard :D:D

At least the Piko model is close if you squint through dark glasses.

:nerd::nerd:Definitely and individual taste

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Closer in some respects than the Bachmann 4-6-0 Anniversary is to most real 4-6-0's. That for sure!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Closer in some respects than the Bachmann 4-6-0 Anniversary is to most real 4-6-0's. That for sure!
Mmmm - that's meant to be modeled on the ET&WNC - but the early ones were a bit basic, and then they've liveried it for any other railroad imaginable.

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
I have done a lot of research on the 4-6-0 locomotive. After looking at hundreds of photos in both books and on the internet, I have concluded the ET&WNC 4-6-0 is an a-typical configuration when it comes to where the air tanks are located. Indeed, I found a photo of only one other locomotive that was configured in that manner. For Bachmann to have based their 4-6-0 upon the ET&WNC 4-6-0 and then slather all different road names upon it borders on the ridiculous as it looks al01-25-10_15380.jpg12698396_10153935308671764_4685509522891971437_o.jpg16797296_10155041563036764_1405315152141540669_o.jpgmost nothing like the vast majority of 4-6-0 locomotives ever built that their toy is meant to represent. And by some strange coincidence, it bears the number plate number from another Baldwin 4-6-0 locomotive that still exists ,and can be found, at the Nevada Northern Railroad Museum in Ely, Nevada. That locomotive is the #40, a Baldwin 4-6-0 locomotive that was built 1910. So, from what I can tell,the ET&WNC is quite the oddball!1958105_10152391754716764_3782835184135202070_n.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I just found this pic. This is one of the real life camelback Reading R.R. locomotives that Piko based their model upon. Please note that ,once again, the model is a far cry in appearance from its' real life counterpart,particularity the tender.View attachment 252486
I feel sure that with a lot of work, bit of skill, some tubing, Wire and Plasticard a good representation would be entirely possible. If I was into USA Locs and wanted a better Piko then this would be my inspiration and phase me not too much.

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm... Interesting idea, but this is my first camelback. It's on the way as of Thursday. I'm not certain what I'm going to be doing with it yet. I may try to double my money by reselling it on Ebay,I may keep it, or I may rip out the sound system,adapt it to my LGB mogul,and then sell the rest for whatever I can get back out of it. It didn't cost me much more than the Piko 3220 digital sound system,and the more I think about it,the better it sounds. I did purchase the Piko 36221 analog sound system for my Piko 0-6-0 yesterday evening. I was thinking about buying the more expensive,better Piko 36220 system for it,but it's a cheap train,so I figured"Why spend the extra $70.00 on it?"I did take the time to disassemble the 0-6-0 earlier today to figure out where the wires are for the smoke generator,a Suethe 7,that works best between 11-16 volts,so I will be wiring it directly to power and the sound system,without installing the included voltage regulator that's in the sound kit. I've installed a Suethe 7 in 2 other trains without any issues, so I'm pretty certain that there will not be any problems with a direct hook up on this locomotive either.

SophieB

Registered
24 Sep 2017
Elizabeth City, NC, USA
Best answers
Country flag
We have the Christmas edition of the Piko Camelback. It's a good puller and it looks "interesting". The only complaint I have is that all of the Piko engines that come with sound seem to have the exact same card in them. It's odd when our club does a large show and two or three members have a Piko engine running and you hear an identical whistle and chuff coming from different areas in the hall.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
We have the Christmas edition of the Piko Camelback. It's a good puller and it looks "interesting". The only complaint I have is that all of the Piko engines that come with sound seem to have the exact same card in them. It's odd when our club does a large show and two or three members have a Piko engine running and you hear an identical whistle and chuff coming from different areas in the hall.

A Christmas edition of a CamelBack. Ha ha! Don't tell LGB, they may start doing the same.
It should have bubbles coming from the stack. :giggle:

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I feel sure that with a lot of work, bit of skill, some tubing, Wire and Plasticard a good representation would be entirely possible. If I was into USA Locs and wanted a better Piko then this would be my inspiration and phase me not too much.

By a bit of judicious re-modelling, you might just be able to out that cab at the REAR of the boiler, where it belongs, and ditch the little overhead fireman's canopy in the trash bin. That way you might end up with a reasonable-looking little Mogul-like loco -

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Or, just buy a Mogul! ;):devil::devil:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I still think they were hit with the ugly stick.....:rofl:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have done a lot of research on the 4-6-0 locomotive. After looking at hundreds of photos in both books and on the internet, I have concluded the ET&WNC 4-6-0 is an a-typical configuration when it comes to where the air tanks are located. Indeed, I found a photo of only one other locomotive that was configured in that manner. For Bachmann to have based their 4-6-0 upon the ET&WNC 4-6-0 and then slather all different road names upon it borders on the ridiculous as it looks alView attachment 252493View attachment 252494View attachment 252495most nothing like the vast majority of 4-6-0 locomotives ever built that their toy is meant to represent. And by some strange coincidence, it bears the number plate number from another Baldwin 4-6-0 locomotive that still exists ,and can be found, at the Nevada Northern Railroad Museum in Ely, Nevada. That locomotive is the #40, a Baldwin 4-6-0 locomotive that was built 1910. So, from what I can tell,the ET&WNC is quite the oddball!View attachment 252492

Oddball it might be, but it's still a good-looking locomotive. My Bachmann ten-wheeler with the all-metal Baker valve gear has never let me down since the day I bought it, almost twenty years ago. I'm even thinking about putting r/c in it and a decent sound system - any recommendations in that respect would be would appreciated.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
So, from what I can tell,the ET&WNC is quite the oddball!
Much of the Bachmann On30 range is based on obscure locos! The 4-6-0 is a decent model of the ETWNC loco and to be fair they weren’t that common on narrow gauge either so comparison to the standard gauge 4-6-0’s is a bit of a dead end ;)
The NG 4-6-0’s all are quite different so you were going to be tied to one road, SP or DRGW would be other choices and again rather distinctive. Lee Riley was trying to avoid the Colorado prototypes in On30 but seems to have embraced them eventually in G.
To me the DRG T12 or the SP 4-6-0’s were better proportioned.
The Piko camelback captures the brutish look to me and certainly looks powerful :)

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,Tac! Go here for some great advise on the Bachmann 4-6-0: Bachmann Forum The fellows on there are some of the most knowledgeable people on the planet when it comes to the Bachmann line of trains.
Andrew