Analogue steam sound

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I'm planning to equip my two track powered Playmobil 0-4-0 tanks with sound. The sound unit will be fitted in a goods van and powered from the tracks via an LGB ball bearing wheels set. I did find a topic in which various possible steam sound units were mentioned and I followed these up on the web and bookmarked one of them. However, I cannot now find the bookmark so I wondered if someone could either point me to the topic or to some appropriate suppliers.

Many thanks in advance.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
If you're after just a very basic chuff sound without much cost, I've got a spare sound unit from a starter-set Stainz, with an integral speaker, that I'd part with at a very reasonable price? Or are you looking for a more sophisticated full-featured unit?

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Jon.

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there
I do know Dragon G scale do a few sound units at a good price
www.dragon-gscale.co.uk , and you do find a good few on Ebay and Ebay.de
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Kev

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
My company, MyLocoSound, supplies lots of steam soundcards to British customers using LGB and other brands. We have a soundcard which works off the track voltage to determine the chuff rate. The chuff is strong when the loco is accelerating, eases off when speed is constant and goes into a coasting mode when slowing down. The whistle style, tone and volume are adjustable, by screwdriver, to match the loco and/or your tastes. Similarly the chuff is adjustable to match the loco starting voltage and number of cylinders.

You can read about it and watch videos at http://www.mylocosound.com < Link To www.mylocosound.com. If you wish to discuss your specific needs then I suggest that you contact Peter Spoerer in Norfolk on 01603 260 562 or Dave Pritchard in Scotland on 01786 821 391.

Regards
Peter Lucas

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you all for your help.

Thank you for the offer, Jon. I'd be interested to know what the basic chuff sound sounds like and whether it is geared to speed etc, if you can help in either direction.

I looked at your website, Peter, but I didn't recognise it as the one mentioned in the topic, but I'll follow it up further.

Gordon

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Stainzmeister said:
Hi Peter
Will the [MyLocoSound] loco sound unit work off DCC if the power supply to the sound unit is taken off the motor feeds ?
I've had a MyLocoSound diesel card with DCC in a Playmobil loco for some time. If I remember correctly it's powered from (or at least switched on/off by) a decoder function output, the horn is on a function output and there is a separate motor voltage sensing feed connected to the motor. There's no need to power the card from the decoder motor feed.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The MyLocoSound soundcard can indeed be connected to the motor feeds from the decoder. However, the soundcard also needs a DC supply to keep the steam hiss and whistle going when the loco is static. If the decoder has a DC accessory output, from 9 to 24 volts, then that can be used but it must be isolated from the motor supply. If it is not isolated then you can use an isolating DC-DC converter between the decoder and the soundcard.

If this is all greek to you then I suggest that you call Peter Spoerer on 01603 260562 who should be able to help you.
Regards
Peter
MyLocoSound