Amperage

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Kim I think it's just about normal. My old set used to do it, mainly in summer, But you run quite big trains

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Hi Kim

Where is the Central station located? may sound a daft Q but if it is in a shed or garage it may be becoming too hot from the sun shining on an adjacent outer wall,

I have experienced the same as you with both MTS & Massoth!!!! although in the latter case it was an unusually hot day

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers

Are the 4 locos single or double motored ones?? or put it another way how many motors are there in total??

I would feel that 3.3 AMPS If the Unit is COOL is too soon for it to trip out, is the ammeter OK?

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
HI Kim
You having a heatwave over there,

Its already COOL here NOW!!:D

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
kimbrit said:
Cheers guys, took all the loco's off and left the coaches on, 9 of them - 18 lighting boards - pulls 1.8 amps. I think a lot of coaches are going to get the boards taken out for day time running. On the pus side that'll give me lot's of spares!
Kim

Thats a lot of amps for lights!! These are the Massoth units with bulbs?

I have some lighting boards with 14 LEDS ( long enough for 1 bogie coach) no idea who makes them they were in some S/H US coaches, just tried one board and it showed just under 0.06 amp

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Might be worth emailing Massoth, see if theres a known fault. Might have to wait a bit for reply though!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
kimbrit said:
Single motors Steve, 2 shorties, 2 moguls with sound & 4 smoking stacks & 18 massoth lighting boards showing between 3.1 and 3.4 amps on the Massoth navigator screen display.
I really do think that a unit rated at 5 amps should run all day at 5 amps when it's out of direct sun and on a cool day.
Kim
Surprised that your displayed amperage is so low. Are you sure that the Navigator displays accurately, especially connected to an LGB central station?

For reference, these are figures I know are accurate for locos on my layout:
4 motors with an 8 wagon train on the flat = 4 amps (5 amps on the uphill)
loco lights: say 3 bulbs on each loco = 3*4*0.05 amps = 0.6 amps
4 smoking stacks = 4*.1 amps = 0.4 amps (which is why I don't use them any more...)

That gives 5 amps to start with. Add your coach lighting boards or a gradient and it's easy to overload the central station. I know: I do so if overenthusiastic!

Walts-Playmobil

Playmobil Trains.
24 Oct 2009
North Wales
www.walts-playmobil-collection.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have had this trouble before with the old Airfix MTC and LGB controllers.
Check the bottom of the controller to see if it is warm. Could be it is not getting enough cooling and the thermal trip is operating. Try putting two pieces of 2? x 1? wood on edge under the sides of the controller, it may work and it?s cheap.

Round n Round

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Lancashire
Best answers
kimbrit said:
I think a lot of coaches are going to get the boards taken out for day time running.

Kim, Just a thought but instead of taking the units out could you not isolate them with a miniature switch.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Its funny how you ponder over things isnt it!!!!!!!

Some further thoughts:

As far as I can remember from what I was told the MTS 2/3 central station differences wre in the operating system and not the 'power' side of them.

tHave you any point decoders in use? I have been aware of cases where point decoders which have been incorrectly coded, have had a small load running through them ( Where they are set to control colour lights etc) and so add a drain to the system. ( not sure though if this is poss with LGB point decoders)

Is your transformer giving out the correct power?

I checked some of my transformers (not all LGB) recently and found discrepancys to the rated listing!

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers

Bredebahn

Cinema, Garden Railway, Private Flying (licenced p
25 Oct 2009
A field near Rye, in beautiful East Sussex.
Best answers
I agree. Local computer shop about £3.50 - £5 max. Or there's plenty of scrap computers around these days and most have a couple of these things in them - they're standard size for a case fan or a psu fan.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
If the relatively high price is for the AC option you could always fit a rectifier bridge for under £1.00 and use a DC fan. You may also use two 12V fans in series.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
kimbrit said:
I'll do Maplins tomorrow and explore that bridge thingy that Neil's on about, trouble is, last time I asked Maplins for a circuit and the bits to run led's off in me buildings it went 'pop' in about a milli second. As you can guess I'm an electronic numpty! T
Kim
Go for any of the W series, e.g. W02 or W10 bridge. These have four leads, one marked +, one - and both the others have an elongated S The first two are the dc output to the motor, if you swap them over the motor will run in reverse, the other two connections are the ac input from the transformer and it doesn't matter which way round they go.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Fans are good but I think you should get the unit checked for is output before buggering about with fans and such, If the output is not there then cooling it off will just make the internal components fail faster?.............................

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
kimbrit said:
Cheers Pete, Walt. Funnily enough Walt I did that earlier this evening, the base was cool but I raised it off the shelf. The heat is venting through the top vents by convection so I'm thinking of mounting a fan to blow through one of the side slots to vent the heat out of the other side and the top.
One mogul with everything working and 4 coaches is reading out at 1.2 amps Pete, sounds about right to me but I'll put my multi meter into circuit tomorrow and see if it reads the same. A nice big Massoth is the answer really, but I've promised to be a good boy and not spend spend spend.:crying:
Kim

Hello Kim,

A standard Multi meter set to AC isn't going to give you accurate readings. Thats because the signal is DCC not pure AC. You would need an meter that understood DCC, like this http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=315

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Cliff George said:
A standard Multi meter set to AC isn't going to give you accurate readings. Thats because the signal is DCC not pure AC.

What about measuring between the transformer and the DCC central station?

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
kimbrit said:
Well, I've solved the problem with the output of the MTS, I've done a deal with Jeremy that gives me a Massoth 1200Z, that should do nicely!!:clap::D
Cheers,
Kim

Welcome to the very dark side Kim. You'll love it Kim takes a bit but worth while