Alternative transformers for MTS

WhitehouseFilms

Registered
5 Aug 2018
UK
Best answers
This subject may have been discussed before but last year I had my 50110 transformers for my MTS system short circuit and refused to reset. Unfortunately LGB no longer make this transformer which is a real shame because it happened when I was starting to get my trains running properly after many months of troubles and bad power connections. It turned out that all the rail joiners needed replacing which I spent a lot of time sorting out. I would like to see if there are any transformers in the current LGB line that could substitute for the 50110 and can work alongside the MTS digital system. I would really like to get these trains running again as my niece and nephew really enjoy watching them trundle along, but with a broken transformer and most of the rolling stock digitally fitted, it seems very unlikely. Can anyone help with this?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
6 amps, 20 volts AC 230v input. In the us we have suppliers of just transformers, although you probably want a fuse or circuit breaker.

Should not be hard to find, I just don't know the UK suppliers.

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
You can use one of the 22V, 100w (nominal 5A) switched mode power supplies if you want to stay with Märklin/LGB (by far not the least expensive solution). These come with the typical model train overload/short circuit protection. The part number for the 110VAC unit sold in the US is 60195. Not sure what the UK version part number is. I couldn't connect with the Märklin/LGB website today (server not responding).

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I see that it seems the LGB central stations can handle AC or DC in, but beware, the central stations are rated for 24 vDC max, but
20v ac is putting out 28 volt peaks, so it would be better to use 17 volts ac max input

I likewise recommend the switched DC power supplies.

Greg

Last edited:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB/Maeklin ones are listed below. They sell a 18V 36W (2A) part number 51090 for €60 RRP and a 22V 100VA (5A) part number 51095 for €130 RRP. They are both available on their web site. They are pictured with European power plugs, I don't know if they supply a UK power plug, you may need an adapter. The 2A one (probably not much use to you) has a round output plug, the sort you plug into a laptop or other similar device. The 5A has bare wires for screw connectors. They are both IP67 rated i.e. they can be used outdoors.
Watt Switched Mode Power Pack | Märklin
100 Watt Switched Mode Power Pack | Märklin
Both these links have downloadable manuals so you can see the full specification.
As others have said there are cheaper options. I use a 100VA bench power supply with variable stabilised voltage which cost about half what Maerklin are charging for their 100VA model. It was bought from Maplins and sadly no longer available.