trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose it's bit like the adage "You wait for a bus for ages and along come three all at once"

My first was an 'ailing' LGB Rusty - an ebay purchase that arrived well packed but was broken nevertheless!

One of three demics (1).JPG

It even came without the chimney. Now I always give people the benefit of doubt but my thoughts are along different lines. I contacted the seller who offered to fund the return postage (and also the original cost and postage) but I decided to keep it because I reckoned I could sort it out. I was rewarded with nearly thirty pounds (£30) worth of bits and pieces still in their original LGB bags!

One of three demics (3).JPG

One of three demics (4).JPG

One of three demics (5).JPG

So I'm happy with the deal (of which, the compensation was exceedingly generous). The only thing I would ask is this;-

What would be the best glue to join the headlight mounting back on (and the front beam)?

To be continued ..

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Mick
I've found Deluxe Plastic Magic seems to work on LGB plastics.

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
The next item to be designated 'failing' was one of my Big Haulers. I was at Enniscrone Agri Show at the beginning of July operating a variety of stock. As the loco returned to the front of the trailer, I could hear a clicking noise. Now that wouldn't be the first time that something had worked loose on this engine - a wheel detached itself from the axle once, plus the plastic simulated spokes on the drive wheels have all come detached at times!

Anyway, before I could switch the power off it came to a halt by itself - the connecting rod and slide bars came loose an the con rod ended up being bent double!

One of three demics (6).JPG

Now that's a relatively easy fix once I drill the rivet out from the cross head. The next loco to 'fail' (completely) was yet another BH. Yeah, I might have a lot of these but I sure need them to keep the show rolling!

One of three demics (11).JPG

Now, you can hardly tell what was wrong from the above photo, but the following pics reveal (almost) all!

One of three demics (8).JPG

Yep! You go this way, and you go that way, and I'll just follow along as normal!

One of three demics (9).JPG

Even though I have not had time to take it to bits, it's obvious that the two axles have had some sort of divorce!

So that's my three tales of railway woe - I will post, as and when, the results of the repairs. Now I have other domestic things to attend to before I get the screwdrivers and glue out!:banghead:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick
I've found Deluxe Plastic Magic seems to work on LGB plastics.

Rik

Cheers Rik - I'll look it up because it will have to come over the water!

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Mick. This came highly recommended on another forum - I think it's used to repair guitars and some plastic automotive body parts. I bought it on ebay and it was shipped from Portugal. Only used it for minor repairs so far.
P1070267.JPG

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to read the news, Mick. Hopefully, you have enough of other locos not to affect your show appearances.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I've discovered Loctite super glue power flex, I find it works well on LGB plastic.
I buy it in the 3g "control" applicator for convenience.

Super Glue Power Flex

Now I might even have some of that Neil - and it could be available locally also! Thanks.

Mick. This came highly recommended on another forum - I think it's used to repair guitars and some plastic automotive body parts. I bought it on ebay and it was shipped from Portugal. Only used it for minor repairs so far.
View attachment 240440

Thanks Mike - I'll take a look at that one too. I might try drilling and inserting a pin to help suport the headlight as well (fingers like a bunch of bananas).

Sorry to read the news, Mick. Hopefully, you have enough of other locos not to affect your show appearances.

Thanks Gordon. I have so many BHs I have lost count! The show must go on (as long as I'm able):whew:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Mick run out of locos? That's like worrying about a chip shop running out of salt :devil::devil::devil:

Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The next item to be designated 'failing' was one of my Big Haulers. I was at Enniscrone Agri Show at the beginning of July operating a variety of stock. As the loco returned to the front of the trailer, I could hear a clicking noise. Now that wouldn't be the first time that something had worked loose on this engine - a wheel detached itself from the axle once, plus the plastic simulated spokes on the drive wheels have all come detached at times!

Anyway, before I could switch the power off it came to a halt by itself - the connecting rod and slide bars came loose an the con rod ended up being bent double!

View attachment 240433

Now that's a relatively easy fix once I drill the rivet out from the cross head. The next loco to 'fail' (completely) was yet another BH. Yeah, I might have a lot of these but I sure need them to keep the show rolling!

View attachment 240434

Now, you can hardly tell what was wrong from the above photo, but the following pics reveal (almost) all!

View attachment 240435

Yep! You go this way, and you go that way, and I'll just follow along as normal!

View attachment 240436

Even though I have not had time to take it to bits, it's obvious that the two axles have had some sort of divorce!

So that's my three tales of railway woe - I will post, as and when, the results of the repairs. Now I have other domestic things to attend to before I get the screwdrivers and glue out!:banghead:
Mick

What version of Bug Mauler is that?

I have an Annie with wheels that are slightly wobbly on the axles o_Oo_O

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 240440
That's what I use. You have to be careful not to get it on any visible surfaces as it basically dissolves and welds the plastic. Mine came via eBay from Portugal as well.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick

What version of Bug Mauler is that?

I have an Annie with wheels that are slightly wobbly on the axles o_Oo_O

I think it must be version 3 or 4 (at least) but these wheels are really wibbley wobbly! I think I have virtually every version made. One day I'll get them all out!

That's what I use. You have to be careful not to get it on any visible surfaces as it basically dissolves and welds the plastic. Mine came via eBay from Portugal as well.

I'm up for that - sounds just what I need for other locos as well!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I think it must be version 3 or 4 (at least) but these wheels are really wibbley wobbly! I think I have virtually every version made. One day I'll get them all out!

I'm up for that - sounds just what I need for other locos as well!

OMG - Twenty Euro including shipping to here!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with the repairs Mick. Keeping the fleet in tip top condition is always an ongoing task like repainting the Forth Railway Bridge.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with the repairs Mick. Keeping the fleet in tip top condition is always an ongoing task like repainting the Forth Railway Bridge.
Nooooooooooo, you can't say that any more :D:D the last time it was painted they used an enhanced product which will last longer, so they didn't have to go back to the beginning and start over - for the first time in its history :clap::clap::clap:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I've discovered Loctite super glue power flex, I find it works well on LGB plastic.
I buy it in the 3g "control" applicator for convenience.

Super Glue Power Flex

Now ordered off fleabay - couldn't get it in town although I did get some Loctite for all plastics (with a separate activator)!

So I'll have quite a selection of glues added to what I already had!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So I'll have quite a selection of glues added to what I already had!

I have some of those...

Some of them, I can even still got the top-off.. And an even more elite sub-section are still usable! :rolleyes::shake:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I have some of those...

Some of them, I can even still got the top-off.. And an even more elite sub-section are still usable! :rolleyes::shake:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I used a pair of pump pliers to get the top off one this morning!